Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Not for me (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/31485-not-me.html)

Colts Fan 12-27-2007 12:37 AM

Not for me

After training and going solo for a week I've decided that OTR truck driving is not for me. I'll be taking my truck back to Baylor in the next day or so.

Thanks to all on here that offered their advices. BOL to everyone.

golfhobo 12-27-2007 12:47 AM

Re: Not for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts Fan
After training and going solo for a week I've decided that OTR truck driving is not for me. I'll be taking my truck back to Baylor in the next day or so.

ONE WEEK????

I"m not passing any kind of judgement, Coltsfan..... but what happened in ONE WEEK that convinced you of this? How was it so much different than everyone here TOLD you it would be?

Are you gonna look for a local job? Or are you getting out of trucking?

Best of luck to YOU, too! But, Geez man! I hope you didn't PAY for that training!

nsxman2001 12-27-2007 12:48 AM

what was so bad about OTR that u wanna quit after a week? Just curious

nsxman2001 12-27-2007 12:50 AM

wow! can't believe some else is asking the same question at the same time.. How he answered this one I'm really curious

Trukrswyfe 12-27-2007 01:03 AM

Sorry to hear that, :cry: but maybe you need to give it alittle more time.

The first three months are the toughest, especially in all the weather. It sucks being away from family so long, if that is the problem, you make adjustments.

Try giving it alittle more time.

What does the wife think?

Colts Fan 12-27-2007 01:09 AM

Re: Not for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:

ONE WEEK????

I"m not passing any kind of judgement, Coltsfan..... but what happened in ONE WEEK that convinced you of this? How was it so much different than everyone here TOLD you it would be?

Are you gonna look for a local job? Or are you getting out of trucking?

Best of luck to YOU, too! But, Geez man! I hope you didn't PAY for that training!

I trained for 6 weeks and have been solo for 1 week. 7 weeks total. It is not any more different than anyone here said it would be. I guess I'm just the kind of guy who likes to be around his kids, shower daily, and sleep in his own bed nightly. Shame on me for that. I was paid $400/wk for training.

Colts Fan 12-27-2007 01:11 AM

As far as staying in the trucking business I don't know. If the job is right then yes I will. If I can't find anything I'll get back in the insurance biz.

Colts Fan 12-27-2007 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe

The first three months are the toughest, especially in all the weather. It sucks being away from family so long, if that is the problem, you make adjustments.

That is the problem. OTR is not or a family man. Especially a young family with small children. They miss daddy and daddy misses them. The wife has handled it well but she is really stressed out handling everything all by herself.

VitoCorleone99 12-27-2007 01:15 AM

I don't think he's saying shame on you. I took it to mean that quite a few of us were under the impression, from what you were posting beore, that you wouldn't like OTR trucking in the first place.

FWIW, at least you made the best choice for yourself before it had a chance to harm you or your family. Now, instead of wondering how it would work out for you, you know that it wasn't a good fit. You only live once, right?

Trukrswyfe 12-27-2007 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe

That is the problem. OTR is not or a family man. Especially a young family with small children. They miss daddy and daddy misses them. The wife has handled it well but she is really stressed out handling everything all by herself.

You are preaching to the Choir, I know. Hope you find what fits your family. BOL