User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Sage Truck Driver School

Has anyone attended the Sage Truck Driving School at Isothermal Community College in North Carolina? Was it a good school?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:29 PM

we didn't go to that school, but went to sage school. sage is a good school. but all school is for is to get your cdl, you will then go out with a trainer to learn how to become a trucker. weve been at it for almost two years and still are learning more weekly. driving is not for everyone but if you like driving you can make a good living. as most company drivers will tell you, you will be used, lied to, and threated a lot. most of the big companies will not care about your needs at all ... as in eating, showering ect.... it's not uncommon to only shower one or two times a week and only eat while driving, (THE LOAD IS THE ONLY THING THEY CARE ABOUT AND IT COMES FIRST THEN MAYBE IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT YOU CAN TAKE ONE HOUR OFF) so talk to the drivers befor you make a choice where you go to work. We have had enough off working for these type of companies and are buying our own truck asap and leasing on to a good company that we have been talking with for the last two months.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:25 AM

Hi, Marine Trucker...I attended ICC last year. I have been driving for the last 14 months. I really liked the school. I felt it was well worth the travel and expense. I am from Chicagoland. The instructors were extremely knowledgeable, patient and very helpful. Don't rely on a company trainer to teach you that much. A lot of them are only doing it for your miles and don't show you jacksquat! Learn all you can in school and going out on your own will be that much easier. Hopefully, my reply helps! Happy holidays and best of luck!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Board Member

For what it is worth that school has a good rep. Not all Sage schools are created equal, but that is suppose to be one of the better ones based on reports for posters over the years who have attended it.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:19 PM

I went to ICC and agree with Madaxeman. A very good experience with great instructors. I traveled a little further than Madaxeman to attend and still believe it was worth it. One on one Sage training is much better than training with a truckload of students.

Madaxeman...you wouldn't happen to be the musician from Chicago that hung around with Timmy would you?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Ize
I went to ICC and agree with Madaxeman. A very good experience with great instructors. I traveled a little further than Madaxeman to attend and still believe it was worth it. One on one Sage training is much better than training with a truckload of students.

Madaxeman...you wouldn't happen to be the musician from Chicago that hung around with Timmy would you?
Hey, Snakes Ize...that would be me...how's everything going with you?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Rookie

I went to ICC, graduated mar 07. attended evening classes because of a full time job during the day, I live in N.C. so I just drove down every day, did my road training on the weekends. Range driving, city driving, and mountain driving one on one with a trainer that's the best part. the classroom part is pretty much common sense but I had drove some before I started school. A friend of mine went to school there before I did he recommend them to me and I would do the same . It was worth the trip
Old 12-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Rookie

Thank you, all, for your input about the school. I have spoken with Van and he has been very honest with me about getting into the trucking business. I think you have helped me make my decision on where to attend school. ICC is it.

Could any of you tell me what companies came to recruit? My next challenge is to whittle down the companies to consider. I am considering Crete, CFI, Averitt, KLLM, and Western Express. Western Express is out of Nashville, which is about 80 miles from my home. Of course, I have read many posts about different companies and I tend to believe that as a rookie I can expect my first couple of years to be pretty tough. I would like to be home a couple weekends a month, and not have to drive to NYC.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Rookie

I can tell you all the one's that came in when I was there not to say that they will be the same one's now. we talked with averitt, colonial, tmc, mcelroy, roehl, and swift. out of the bunch tmc was my pick, if you like flatbed. we didn't ask a lot of question just kinda sit and listened to the spill because at the time we didn't know what to ask.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Rookie

There are some wonderful posts for up and coming truck drivers written by roadhog in the Newbie section. It is under the Driver/Company relationship. Roadhog gives all kinds to things to ask each company, what to expect at the interview and many good insights as to how to prepare for the interview. One of the things I get from what he said is to do a lot of research about the companies prior to going to school. This website and the websites of the companies really give a lot of information and help in the process of picking the companies a person might want to work for. I can see that you have to take many of the negatives and put them in a hat. It is good to know the negatives so you know what to expect, but going into this with a positive attitude has to make the transition into this business much easier. As rookies we can expect the "stuff" to roll down hill. We just have to suck it up and do the best we can and be the best driver we can. Good things will come along from that.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. All that is being shared on this forum is a great help to a person who has not even gone to school yet.