User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yup - that 2nd one plainly states you can idle your engine for heating or cooling.

But - I'm still not going to California :wink:
Old 12-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Texas88, where did you get that list?

Info I have read gives the idea that you have to find an alternative heating and cooling source.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/cabcomfort/cabcomfort.htm
Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone3
Texas88, where did you get that list?

Info I have read gives the idea that you have to find an alternative heating and cooling source.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/cabcomfort/cabcomfort.htm
You have to look for the Exceptions list, can't remember which site I took it from, but I would not have posted it unless I read it in 3 different places.
That official site is not user friendly for finding something, but I did read it in one of their PDF's??? If you can find where where they omitted even those exceptions, post it? Like most laws, need a lawyer to translate um...
Old 12-16-2007, 04:09 AM

Found it, I think what was posted was from 2005. I think it's changing for the worse.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/toxics/idling/.../factsheet.pdf

By the way the contact name for the California Air Board is David Chen [email protected]. He's supposed to be able to answer all of our questions. And obviously we have many.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:31 PM

Some of these exceptions truckers can use until dec.31 2007,starting Jan.1 2008 no more idling longer than 5 minutes no ifs and buts about it they way I understand it anyway.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Texas88"]And another question, what if you have a dog in your truck? There is a law you can't expose an animal to a hot or cold environment in a vehicle? (or wife?)

well, I'm not letting my dog suffer, my wife is on her own

Some exceptions:
With some exceptions, the driver of a vehicle subject to this measure may not idle the vehicle's primary engine or operate its diesel-fueled auxiliary power system (APS) for more than 5 minutes at any one location. The exceptions are:

* idling a bus up to 10 minutes before passengers board to prepare the bus for their comfort. When passengers are on board, the bus is exempt.
* idling the primary engine or operating the diesel APS to operate a heater, air conditioner, and related equipment while sleeping or resting in a sleeper berth, if the vehicle is 100 feet beyond a residential area.
* idling due to traffic conditions out of the driver's control, or at the direction of a peace officer.
* idling when queuing in the normal course of performing work or service, when stopping and starting the engine would impede the progress of the queue. The queue must be 100 feet beyond a residential area.
* idling when it is unsafe to proceed because of weather or mechanical conditions over which the driver has no control.
* idling during timely checks to assure safe operating conditions and good working order of equipment, if idling is required for the inspections.
* mandatory idling for testing, servicing, repair, or diagnostic purposes.
* idling when providing a power source for controlling cargo temperature, operating auxiliary equipment, and performing work functions for which the vehicle was designed.
* idling when operating defrosters, heaters, air conditioners, or other equipment for safety or health purposes.
* idling by emergency vehicles while performing the services for which the vehicle is designed.
* idling when operating equipment such as a wheelchair or people-assisted lift as prescribed by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Sure is a lot of gnashing of teeth in this thread over California and their rules despite the clearly stated exclusion:

* idling when operating defrosters, heaters, air conditioners, or other equipment for safety or health purposes.

No one is going to get a ticket for idling to keep the temperature comfortable for safety reasons. No sleep because the outside temp dropped to a chilly 84 overnight in Palm Springs and you crash the next day? Right...

FUD.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Board Regular

With these exceptions it makes the law unenforceable, another stupid law that can’t be enforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
Quote:
* idling when providing a power source for controlling cargo temperature, operating auxiliary equipment, and performing work functions for which the vehicle was designed.
Ok then, this answers our concerns!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccfry
With these exceptions it makes the law unenforceable, another stupid law that can’t be enforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
Quote:
If this weren't from the 2005 ones it sure would. I can find no such exceptions in the new law going into effect Jan 08. It reads like it is changing those exceptions, and there will be no idling over 5 minutes..period..no ifs ands or buts. NO exceptions available in the law of THIS time. Once again, thats 2005.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccfry

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
Quote:
If this weren't from the 2005 ones it sure would. I can find no such exceptions in the new law going into effect Jan 08. It reads like it is changing those exceptions, and there will be no idling over 5 minutes..period..no ifs ands or buts. NO exceptions available in the law of THIS time. Once again, thats 2005.
Citing from the website: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/cabcomfort/cabcomfort.htm
Quote:
Pursuant to state regulation, operators of diesel-fueled trucks, with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 10,000 pounds, shall not idle for more than 5 minutes when stopped within California's borders. Currently, there is an exemption for sleeper berth trucks, which allows them to idle during periods of sleep and rest. However, starting JANUARY 1, 2008, this will change; all sleeper berth trucks, regardless of model year, will also be required to shutdown their engines after 5 minutes.

As the 2008 regulatory deadline draws near, it will be necessary for many sleeper truck operators to select idle reduction equipment suitable for their cab comfort needs. To assist operators who may not be familiar with idle reduction technologies, ARB has developed this webpage to provide general information regarding various technologies that are currently available.
Looks pretty clear to me. No exceptions.

kc0iv