User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 05:56 PM
BANNED
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
There is a heater called a Coleman Procat that is safe in the truck (we only use it while awake.) It uses propane which is legal to carry on the truck. It is a catalitic hearter (no open flame) and works very well...

that is what we use to stay warm....keeping cool....well not sure yet. I am sure we will figure out something by the time summer arrives.

google Coleman Procat and you will find info about the heater.

tootie
I am sure you will put some sort of darwinian type cooling device in. Such as a fan sitting on a ice block...... :roll:
Old 12-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
There is a heater called a Coleman Procat that is safe in the truck (we only use it while awake.) It uses propane which is legal to carry on the truck. It is a catalitic hearter (no open flame) and works very well...

that is what we use to stay warm....keeping cool....well not sure yet. I am sure we will figure out something by the time summer arrives.

tootie
I am sure you will put some sort of darwinian type cooling device in. Such as a fan sitting on a ice block...... :roll:
Good suggestion....maybe I'll try it.... :P

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 12-15-2007, 07:06 PM

WHY IN THE HELL DO WE EVEN SHIP OVER THERE IF THEY'RE SO MUCH AGAINST OUR TRUCKS,WELL LET THEM GET THEIR SUPPLIES A DIFFERENT WAY.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

tootie
Only problem I see with the Coleman Procat is the cost of the propane cylinders. At about 5 bucks per cylinders the cost is going to add up pretty quick. Let along you are going to have to carry several cylinders.

For a company driver you might not have a choice. But for a O/O it wouldn't take many of at these cost to justify a diesel fired system.

kc0iv
Old 12-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukrswyfe
So stop delivering to CA or New York then maybe they will see if they like it. Blasted tree hugging hippees. Stop the immigration of Californian to my state I like it the way it is. As a matter of fact Seattle can up root itself and move to LA.
Its not the 'treehuggers' that are the problem, its the industry resisting to get cleaned up...Cali has always been at the forefront of emmissions laws due to the pollution problems they have. Cali even has a lawsuit pending against the fed.govt. b/c the fed refuses to enforce existing laws.
As a 'good republican' would say: Let MARKET FORCES fix it- here we are, now lets see the market come up with fixes.

I think its BS too, we are caught in the middle between the oil industry, the trucking industry and public health. Our having to break the law to stay warm is just a plus to local govt.

Enjoy!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: NO IDLING IN CA. JAN. 1

Is there not a way to sue the state under cal osha laws, if california told all the office workers in their cubicle farms no more heating or air conditioning, osha would be all over it, truckers are just easy targets for stupid environmental laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone3
So I just heard that starting Jan. 1, 2008 drivers will not be able to idle in California AT ALL.

http://www.fuelpub.com/web/online/Industry-News/California-Anti-Idling-Law-Kicks-in-January-1/1$263

I started looking into products you can buy to heat/cool the truck while off.
Couldn't find that much info.
There are products called Espar Airtronic and Webasto Air Top.
What are they? How do they work? How much do they cost? If you have either product or something else can you rate them and pass on any info about them?

APU's look big and expensive. ???

Thanx
Old 12-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah CA with their damn medical waste from all their plastic surgery fake rich, govenator, Sheesh. I agree it isn't all the tree huggers it is the Hollywood Hypocrits, go green or be carbon nuetral like me(Joke).

I actually like some Californians especially those who leave the state and all its BS.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:40 PM

You can complain all you want, but the reality is idling in California is going to be a thing of the past. I don't like it either. I live in California and agree that some of the rules we have are really screwed up. The company I work for is going to enforce the anti idle law by turning on the anti idle feature on all of our trucks. I can't wait until it's 100 degrees plus in the summer waiting to be loaded. I guess that I will just see if I can bump the idle up with the cruise to bypass it. The other thing is, I can't wait to see how this works in traffic when the truck shuts off and can't be restarted for 10 seconds,yeah that's gonna help with traffic.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Board Regular

And another question, what if you have a dog in your truck? There is a law you can't expose an animal to a hot or cold environment in a vehicle? (or wife?)

Some exceptions:
With some exceptions, the driver of a vehicle subject to this measure may not idle the vehicle's primary engine or operate its diesel-fueled auxiliary power system (APS) for more than 5 minutes at any one location. The exceptions are:

* idling a bus up to 10 minutes before passengers board to prepare the bus for their comfort. When passengers are on board, the bus is exempt.
* idling the primary engine or operating the diesel APS to operate a heater, air conditioner, and related equipment while sleeping or resting in a sleeper berth, if the vehicle is 100 feet beyond a residential area.
* idling due to traffic conditions out of the driver's control, or at the direction of a peace officer.
* idling when queuing in the normal course of performing work or service, when stopping and starting the engine would impede the progress of the queue. The queue must be 100 feet beyond a residential area.
* idling when it is unsafe to proceed because of weather or mechanical conditions over which the driver has no control.
* idling during timely checks to assure safe operating conditions and good working order of equipment, if idling is required for the inspections.
* mandatory idling for testing, servicing, repair, or diagnostic purposes.
* idling when providing a power source for controlling cargo temperature, operating auxiliary equipment, and performing work functions for which the vehicle was designed.
* idling when operating defrosters, heaters, air conditioners, or other equipment for safety or health purposes.
* idling by emergency vehicles while performing the services for which the vehicle is designed.
* idling when operating equipment such as a wheelchair or people-assisted lift as prescribed by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
* idling when providing a power source for controlling cargo temperature, operating auxiliary equipment, and performing work functions for which the vehicle was designed.
* idling when operating defrosters, heaters, air conditioners, or other equipment for safety or health purposes.
Ok then, this answers our concerns!