View Poll Results: If they are cancelling classes for an extended period of time what do you suggest?
Wait it out not knowing when they might startup classes again 2 11.76%
Go to another company that offers cdl training for little or no cost 15 88.24%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Should I be concerned?

Hello All

should I be concerned about the fact that the company I picked to go to school with(millis) sent their most recent class that sarted last monday 12/3 home on 12/4. Saying that there were no jobs available for then due to the "economy" but they are scheduling classes in 08. I am not scheduled to go til febuary 4th 2008, in georgia. The funny thing is that I scheduled my class on the same day that a class was sent home. I'm gonna call them in the morning and find out whats going on as far as 2008. Im anxious to finish saving up money and go to school and get out on the road, but I dont want to commit to leaving my job to go to school and all and get there and have a similar situation happen to me. I have a good driving record (no tickets in last 5 years) and 1 accident in the last 5. So Im pretty much hireable by anyone(except schneider and roehl wont take me). If it turns out they are cancelling classes for an extended period what do you guys suggest? What are Your thoughts?
What companies would you suggest?

private schooling is out the window for me as I do not have "fantastic credit " for a loan.
Your input is much appreciated!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Senior Board Member

While freight has been slow for some time, if Millis is canceling classes it tells me a few things.

1: They are having a lot of trouble getting loads and may end up in real trouble.

2: They have been overloading their training classes which is also a troublesome management issue.

IMHO with the exception of Prime and CR England which are the real bottom feeders in the industry that hire students, most of the rest of the companies are pretty much the same. (Unless you want to talk Werner which is one of the lowest paying) Just pick your logo.

As far as funding goes have you talked to your state's employment office to see if you would qualify for job training?

While I am no big fan of Swift, many of their schools are now PTDI certified. At the very least it would be a starting point.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Board Regular

if im correct 12/3 was the last class they had scheduled for the year in ohio because of the holidays and such. And if they knew they werent gonna have jobs for people, why would they be scheduling people for 08 and taking applications for students? It just doesnt add up and from what I heard only the class in Ohio was cancelled no word on the other 2 schools that they run in wisconsin and georgia. so maybe there is hope at the end of the tunnel. If things dont work out with millis(I really want them to) my next choice was prime or pam.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

A lot of companies have cancelled classes and orientation. Heard JB cut out 2 weeks of classes here just recently.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:57 AM
Board Regular

fyi 08 classes are on as scheduled
Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Can you stand staying at your current job until Feb 08'?

Can you afford to pay your bills and generally 'make it' if you wait that long?

How does it really sound that the company you want to go with is cancelling class's because of "the economy?"

Remember, even if you would go in Feb with them, it'll probably be around April or early may before your really on your own...Thats like 6 months from now.. :shock:

Do what your happy with, and Millis does seem to have a good training program, but looking at all that, I'd have to go with someone else who can get things rolling sooner.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Something to think about.

If a company is cutting classes and no longer hiring, why is that? It's because freight is at an all-time low, industry-wide. We are at the tail-end of one of the toughest years in the industry, both for drivers and companies. While freight is generally slow this time of year, it has never gotten to the point where companies have shut off their hiring, at least not any time recent. Keep in mind that the number of drivers they have has not leveled off and maintain at a certain level...it is falling fast. Their terms/quits are probably at an all-time high, so they are thinning their driving force fairly drastically.

In addition, everything from tags to permits to payments will be coming due at the first of the year. With low freight, declining revenues, and higher-than-ever fuel costs, how badly do you think a lot of companies (some quite large) will be hurting worse than they ever have?

Lots.

I'd do some serious research and I would ALSO hold tight until mid to end of January to see how things shake out. You're going to see a lot of companies going under next month. Most of those will be small to mid-size, but you might see a big shocker or two.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Cutting classes during this time of year is pretty common for the schools. They look at everything from instructor vacations, attendees and even the trainer availability. If there are going to be problems getting student's and or staffing problems and then of course poor trainer availability, the schools will sometimes shut down for the holidays and open with full classes after the first of the year.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbpard
Can you stand staying at your current job until Feb 08'?

Can you afford to pay your bills and generally 'make it' if you wait that long?

How does it really sound that the company you want to go with is cancelling class's because of "the economy?"

Remember, even if you would go in Feb with them, it'll probably be around April or early may before your really on your own...Thats like 6 months from now.. :shock:

Do what your happy with, and Millis does seem to have a good training program, but looking at all that, I'd have to go with someone else who can get things rolling sooner.

the whole reason im going in feburary was to help save money up., and because of the fact that it was either go right after the holiday first monday in january or go the first week in feb. going the first weeek in feb also give me time to get my taxes done so i can go to school with the usual 8-900 refund i get from the gov in my pocket.

I would have been gone trucking back in october or early november before I found out about Millis, but the one thing holding me back was a wedding(thats this weekend) that my family would be absolutely pissed if i didnt go to and didnt want to take the chance of pissing them off and not being home for it but come february im gone to school and to training. I'll be glad to get away from the house for a few weeks.

Rushing into things usually has a bad end result Im happy with the fact that I have waited and discovered Millis. I could have been gone to school back in august with swift or england but good things come to those who wait.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member