User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If you find yourself shifting to fast and too impatient to wait 4 the RPM to drop,, try switching on the engine brake on low. The super 10 usually does the 9-10 shift automatically if you have the cruise switch ON. When cancelling your cruise you can either tap the brake, clutch or barely move the switch toward the off position without completely moving the switch. If you find yourself with the cruise switch in the OFF position and want it to shift UP, do it manually, then move the switch to ON, if not it gets confused and wont shift.

Much fun!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Board Member

I loved my super-10, actually it was easier that 13speed. And got very good fuel mileage....what you didn't button shift- you could skip/ float the rest....made learning to float real easy.....but my trainees had harder time grasping the concept and made their training a little harder....

agreed with the poster--- very same principle as an old 2speed axle( rear end) A lazy man's tranny- before the days of automatic. all petal work and timing with the button-- couldn't get in a hurry with the engine got to let the rpms drop by themselves.. Good way to teach students NOT to rev up the rpm's to 18 or 20( this just wastes fuel & takes that much longer for rpm's to drop and sync tranny)
Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
One problem I've found with the Super 10 (which has the nickname Stupid 10) is that the RPM range between gears is quite long on the split. Meaning, the RPM's have to drop a lot to shift between gears. When I first started driving a Super 10, I found I was hitting the throttle too early, and missing the gear on the split, or missing the "sweet spot". I found that if you quickly pop it out of gear and back in when shifting the split, that it forces the RPM's to drop faster, thereby catching the gear properly.

I will note that I got my best fuel mileage out of a Super 10 transmission. I was pulling hopper bottoms, and was always at 80,000 lbs. My average MPG was almost 7, whereas with a 13 speed I was averaging around 6.25.
Thanks, Rev., that is good to hear. My tractor, not yet in service, has a Super-10 and I'll also be grossing 80,000 alot. Praying I can get at least 6mpg. Not a speed demon anyway, so "foot pressure" won't be a problem.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

over 1 mil miles on my super 10 & no work performed on it yet. still has original clutch. in 95' intl cabover. been in it 9 years now.