Old 12-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw
Quote:
Originally Posted by eplurubus

You can say that again. I drove from Denver to Steamboat yesterday. Summit county was a mess. Highway 9 north out of Silverthorne looked as though it hadn't had a single plow on it. Heck, the entire town of Silverthorne looked as though nothing had been plowed there, either.

BUT, once I hit the Grand county line on Hwy 9, it was blacktop the whole way to Steamboat! I went from driving barely thirty mph in Summit county to immediately driving sixty-five in Grand county. And Rabbit Ears pass was looking okay, too. This tells me that Summit county is either low on plow drivers, or they were sitting around with their thumbs up their @sses. But Grand county and Routt county had been working hard on their part of the roads.
Summit county has always had a hard time keeping folks in any of the "working class" type jobs. Be that trash men, school bus drivers or snow plow operators. The cost of living is astronomical beyond most peoples wildest imaginations.

When I worked outta Frisco For CDOT Hwy 9 north of Silverthorn thru Heeney and up to the Grand County Line was never a priority. We always hammered I-70 trying to keep it open. That North stretch of HWY 9 is one heck of a deadly road. Seen some really bad accidents along that stretch.

I've come out of Utah into Colorado and onto HWY 9 a few times ...the best was when Werner had me dead head from SLC to Phelps Dodge mill in Silverthorne Co off HWY 9 during a nice snow storm only to get to the mill to find out I was not taking the load but just picking it up only to hand it off to an O/O who didn't even have an Mt to give me in the swap 10 miles down the road leaving me bobtail in a snow storm . US.40 has nastier grades to pull and descend than I-70 by far .