Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
A guy I worked with,here,last summer left to go to CDOT....He was going to be running snow plows and such up aound Meeker and Craig.....He told me he would make $17+ change per hour......

He described the bennies as ok,nothing special.....

Job pays 3k salary per month which equals about $18.50 per month ...However anything over 40 hrs is subject to overtime , so it's probably about 40k a year job . I guess they train you out on eastern I-70 ,and then you can drive the mountains , and for me that would be perfect ,As they are severly short handed in the moutain areas where I live in the mountains , and I would be able to go straight to the area I live and drive ...

Yeah......I don't know anything other than what the guy told me.....Said he was taking a pay cut to work closer to home....He lives up by Meeker and was driving to Carbondale and back every day....

CDOT must be kinda hurting for help though....I run Grand Junction to Denver and back....I've been seeing CDOT recruiting banners all across I-70 at state garages.....The Sheriff Dept. in Eagle has one strung up across the back of their jail......LOL.....

Where abouts are you at up here....??....I'm in Glenwood Springs....Moving to Delta end of month....

I live in Bailey it's just north of Fairplay on US 285 ...I'm leaning heavily towards CDOT , as I made a big mistake a couple months back after having my local gig fall out from under me ,and hoing back to Werner thinking I'd do just a couple months...well grudges were held for my "DEFECTING" and it was constant feud between me and my FM who had hard feelings about me leaving , And I ended up getting myself terminated...And when I call recruiters at CFI and Crete they drool over me with 2.3 yrs OTR and good driving,Dac , And personal back ground ,and then when I tell them I was terminated from werner they get a disapointed tone ,and tell me that they can't hire me until I get hired on with another OTR company ,and Do 6 months ,and then I can be hired ...well after many phone calls it seems the better OTR copmpanies have this 6 month policy , so my choices in OTR would be limited to Bottom feeder companies like Werner , And I really don't want to hire on with an OTR company that I really don't want to just to get 6 months in and quit ...And besides from what I see I should make about 40 k at CDOT which is about the same as Crete or CFI , but with far less hours being put in , and no hours being put in for FREE .
Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A guy I worked with,here,last summer left to go to CDOT....He was going to be running snow plows and such up aound Meeker and Craig.....He told me he would make $17+ change per hour......

Job pays 3k salary per month which equals about $18.50 per month ...However anything over 40 hrs is subject to overtime , so it's probably about 40k a year job . I guess they train you out on eastern I-70 ,and then you can drive the mountains , and for me that would be perfect ,As they are severly short handed in the moutain areas where I live in the mountains , and I would be able to go straight to the area I live and drive ...

Yeah......I don't know anything other than what the guy told me.....Said he was taking a pay cut to work closer to home....He lives up by Meeker and was driving to Carbondale and back every day....

CDOT must be kinda hurting for help though....I run Grand Junction to Denver and back....I've been seeing CDOT recruiting banners all across I-70 at state garages.....The Sheriff Dept. in Eagle has one strung up across the back of their jail......LOL.....

Where abouts are you at up here....??....I'm in Glenwood Springs....Moving to Delta end of month....

I live in Bailey it's just north of Fairplay on US 285 ...I'm leaning heavily towards CDOT , as I made a big mistake a couple months back after having my local gig fall out from under me ,and hoing back to Werner thinking I'd do just a couple months...well grudges were held for my "DEFECTING" and it was constant feud between me and my FM who had hard feelings about me leaving , And I ended up getting myself terminated...And when I call recruiters at CFI and Crete they drool over me with 2.3 yrs OTR and good driving,Dac , And personal back ground ,and then when I tell them I was terminated from werner they get a disapointed tone ,and tell me that they can't hire me until I get hired on with another OTR company ,and Do 6 months ,and then I can be hired ...well after many phone calls it seems the better OTR copmpanies have this 6 month policy , so my choices in OTR would be limited to Bottom feeder companies like Werner , And I really don't want to hire on with an OTR company that I really don't want to just to get 6 months in and quit ...And besides from what I see I should make about 40 k at CDOT which is about the same as Crete or CFI , but with far less hours being put in , and no hours being put in for FREE .

That's a shame..........Good luck......The reson I asked where you were was to tell you,if you're near enough,Larfarge is hiring cement truck drivers....Hell,they always are...They'd most likely want you to run out of the Carbondale yard......Or Gypsum...Maybe Minturn....

They start at $18 and hour.....$1 raise in 90 days......$1 raise at 1 year.....5% raise annually after tha......Killer bennies.....Lots of OT......Way more than I wanted,or I'd still be there......

Baileys probably too far though.......For future reference anyway....
Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's a shame..........Good luck......The reson I asked where you were was to tell you,if you're near enough,Larfarge is hiring cement truck drivers....Hell,they always are...They'd most likely want you to run out of the Carbondale yard......Or Gypsum...Maybe Minturn....

They start at $18 and hour.....$1 raise in 90 days......$1 raise at 1 year.....5% raise annually after tha......Killer bennies.....Lots of OT......Way more than I wanted,or I'd still be there......

On the bright side you can only go up from werner there is no taking a step down especially in pay ...
Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

On the bright side you can only go up from werner there is no taking a step down especially in pay ...
Heh.......I felt the same way about Prime stINCk...That's how I ended up in a cement mixer for a year.....I fell into a 40k 3 day a week line haul run.......Home every night....No saturdays.....Time to ride my Harley.......When it's warm enough....
Old 12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Well no govt agency hires "on the spot". If they have openings you have to go through the whole govt hiring process which can take weeks.

Well the person Is a head supervisor ,and can walk me right in the door with his apprioval ,and filling out an application will be a formality .

No he cant. First there has to be a open post. Chances are it will be promotional only, maybe "open and promotional" , then there is testing, and at least 2 more interviews with a human resources hiring panel.

You still have to fill out an application and go through the process. Its actually illegal to deviate from the process.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Senior Board Member

CDOT is a great gig if you can get it. Even if it is seasonal I would take it as they tend to "find" positions for year round once spring rolls around. I did the part time gig one winter out of the Frisco Shop and it was challenging to say the least but lots of fun. And after pushing snow on Loveland pass for one season, east coast snow does not seem so bad at all.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw
CDOT is a great gig if you can get it. Even if it is seasonal I would take it as they tend to "find" positions for year round once spring rolls around. I did the part time gig one winter out of the Frisco Shop and it was challenging to say the least but lots of fun. And after pushing snow on Loveland pass for one season, east coast snow does not seem so bad at all.
That stretch,Gypsum/Eagle to Idaho Springs is getting hammered right now thru tomorrow......I gotta go through there tonight,if it's open....
Old 12-08-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
CDOT must be kinda hurting for help though....
You can say that again. I drove from Denver to Steamboat yesterday. Summit county was a mess. Highway 9 north out of Silverthorne looked as though it hadn't had a single plow on it. Heck, the entire town of Silverthorne looked as though nothing had been plowed there, either.

BUT, once I hit the Grand county line on Hwy 9, it was blacktop the whole way to Steamboat! I went from driving barely thirty mph in Summit county to immediately driving sixty-five in Grand county. And Rabbit Ears pass was looking okay, too. This tells me that Summit county is either low on plow drivers, or they were sitting around with their thumbs up their @sses. But Grand county and Routt county had been working hard on their part of the roads.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well no govt agency hires "on the spot". If they have openings you have to go through the whole govt hiring process which can take weeks.

Well the person Is a head supervisor ,and can walk me right in the door with his apprioval ,and filling out an application will be a formality .

No he cant. First there has to be a open post. Chances are it will be promotional only, maybe "open and promotional" , then there is testing, and at least 2 more interviews with a human resources hiring panel.

You still have to fill out an application and go through the process. Its actually illegal to deviate from the process.

Hav you ever worked for the CDOT ?...I'm just curious b/c after speaking to a head supervisor that says he can pretty much have me working almost immediately I would question how you would know different compared to a person that works their in a position of management ?...just curious not saying you're not correct , but your statements seem to contradict his ? So what is your back ground regarding the Colorado Department of transportation that would give you more knowledge than a head supervisor currently working there ?
Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplurubus

You can say that again. I drove from Denver to Steamboat yesterday. Summit county was a mess. Highway 9 north out of Silverthorne looked as though it hadn't had a single plow on it. Heck, the entire town of Silverthorne looked as though nothing had been plowed there, either.

BUT, once I hit the Grand county line on Hwy 9, it was blacktop the whole way to Steamboat! I went from driving barely thirty mph in Summit county to immediately driving sixty-five in Grand county. And Rabbit Ears pass was looking okay, too. This tells me that Summit county is either low on plow drivers, or they were sitting around with their thumbs up their @sses. But Grand county and Routt county had been working hard on their part of the roads.
Summit county has always had a hard time keeping folks in any of the "working class" type jobs. Be that trash men, school bus drivers or snow plow operators. The cost of living is astronomical beyond most peoples wildest imaginations.

When I worked outta Frisco For CDOT Hwy 9 north of Silverthorn thru Heeney and up to the Grand County Line was never a priority. We always hammered I-70 trying to keep it open. That North stretch of HWY 9 is one heck of a deadly road. Seen some really bad accidents along that stretch.