User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just my opinion. If you are 44, have 13 years in a papermill, and there is no threat of a shutdown, layoffs or whatnot, stay were you are. Think of your benefits, retirement, ect. I don't know much about papermills, but I'll bet you will take one hell of a paycut.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Let's see.... been at this two decades now.... guess I am satisfied with taking the "leap". Definately not for everyone. But then I guess that is why someone can go to a few weeks of truck training and within a year or two, be making close to $50K.

It gets easier over the years. Mostly because, if you can keep a clean MVR and CDL, almost every company out there is bugging you to come work for them. It's a blast to try and negotiate with them for perks. If they don't come around to offering a few "niceties" I just tell them, "no problem, got a job now. You can't get a Porche for the price of a ford focus".

Just like most other jobs... you got to "pay your dues" before the offers start flowing in.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 AM

Yeh,the money would suck.......
But I have some issues going on in my life right now like a marriage in a downward spiral,always been a restless kinda guy and a loner,followed construction jobs all over the country for 10 years,guess it kinda stayed in my blood.
I can get my CDL here for $2500 in 8 weeks,I'm going to find out if I can take evening classes after work or just weekends and take it from there.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:17 AM

:twisted: .
Old 12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Board Regular

Well I just got back after being out 3 weeks with a trainer. The key thing is to find a company that will treat you for what you are worth. After school I didn't think it would be as difficult as it was. It was a little over whelming at first but after spending 3 weeks in the truck, it became your daily routine. I wasn't once bored. We didn't bust our hump, and the company paid for hotel rooms for both of us, meaning we each had our own room. Even though he had a sleeper, he wasn't required to stay in it if training someone. I guess the only difficult part was learning to drive his way. I learned one way is school, another way with the first trainer and now another way with the last trainer. I think when I'm out on my own I will combine the 3 and figure out my way. We were pulling a tank all over which is definately a challange but after learning what the company is going t pay me for, I think I made a great choice for my 2nd career. Heck, when they needed a copy of my birth certificate, they were even going to re-imburse me the fee that I paid to the city. Good Luck