User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Protect my CDL?

Hey again, I have this question posted in my other thread but was afraid that question my get lost since it may not exactly match origional thread.

I am havinsome challenges with down shifting. I have passed Pre-trip and skills, but failed my 1st attempt on the road test. I am going to continue practicing shifting with all your tips ---But---here is my idea. I only get two more shots at passing road test. should I pass it in an autoshift to protect my opportunity at cdl, then practice shifting with a trainer?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Rookie

By the way, Illinois does not have any license restrictions or distinction btwn testing in an autoshift or manual. My theory is with the pressure of getting or not getting the CDL off my shoulder, I may be more relaxed and learn easier and better on driving a manual. Additionally, I'm going to a private school and would be incurring additional costs if I keep failing road test. Plan is to give it one more shot on taking the road test in a manual unless through my practicing i realize i don't have a descent shot at passing the road test then i'll go to autotranny to at least protect my opportunity at getting the license b4 my 3 strikes are up. From your experience is this a good idea?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

you have practice time between test attempts right?

i would definately stick with the manual shifting. you can get it down. jst relax when you get behind the wheel.

Its my opinion that the fun in driving truck is the actual shifting in itself.
just watch your road speed, and your rpm's and put it in the hole. have fun with it, and relax.

good luck
Old 12-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Absolutely do whatever it takes to get that CDL. If there is no restriction in your home state for taking the test in an auto, nobody will ever know.

I have a few years on the road now (more than I care to admit) and if I had to retake for any reason I would do it in an automatic in a heartbeat. Removing the shifting from the road test will allow you to concentrate that much more on other things.

I would not even risk blowing your second strike trying to pass in a manual truck. If Auto is an option, take it.

And you are right, once you get out on the road, with a good trainer, your shifts will come second nature before you know it. And in a few years you will laugh when you think about the troubles you were having.

p.s. I think I can speak for most drivers here, Everyone Misses shifts sometimes, Gman, The Rev, me...everybody. Don't sweat it!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I would not even risk blowing your second strike trying to pass in a manual truck. If Auto is an option, take it.

And you are right, once you get out on the road, with a good trainer, your shifts will come second nature before you know it. And in a few years you will laugh when you think about the troubles you were having.
I pretty much concur.

The only thing I would add is that if possible to get a little more time and practice in with a manual and still test with an auto shift go this route.

It is always possible that you may just be one of those people who get a bit too nervous about tests, especially if you do not feel you have it 120% down pat, and you may do well once that skills test is behind you. Also as you pointed out you will have several weeks of daily practice with a trainer to get it down.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Rookie

If you are driving a ten speed follow this and you should get it down to the Tee. For 9th gear you dont have to be at a certain speed you can downshift to 9th 55 on down to 45 you can downshift 9th. For 8th you have to get down to 35MPH and let the rpm get down to 10 and take it out of gear then position it with slick pressure and raise you rpm to about 3 but to me i take it up to about 1300 then down shift to 8th. Same thing for the other gears, here is a list at the bottom to follow.

8th 35MPH(Get down to 35MPH Position it with slack pressure toward 8th gear raise RPM to about 1300 pop it in 8th)
7th 25MPH(Get down to 25MPH Position it with slack pressure toward 7th gear raise RPM to about 1300 pop it in 7th)
6th 20MPH(Get down to 25MPH Position it with slack pressure toward 6th gear raise RPM to about 1500 pop it in 6th)
here comes the tricky part 5th 15MPH(Get down to 15MPH Position it with slack pressure toward 5th gear raise RPM to about 1500 pop it in 5th)
samething for 3th,4th

now if you fall below 15MPH you got to match your RPM with your speed(say for instance you drop down to 12MPH and you need down shift to 5th, 4th,3th. All you gotta do is raise your RPM to 1200 but just to be safe rise it up alil higher position it for what ever gear you want to put it in 3th 4th, 5th and there you go its. No big thing to downshift if you follow this. Another thing in school you shouldnt have to down shift nomore then 5th in school. well in my school we can pretty much take around corner with a empty trailer in 5th with no problem.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I also agree...if you have an automatic as an option---take it--worry about not running over anything....obey all the traffic regulations...etc. Remember, they are looking at your Safety not your operational finesse, but if that's getting in your way..then eliminate that problem.

Now, as backup plan---should at the time of YOUR test--they force you to take it in the manual( because the auto is suddenly NOT available).

cheat; is it the same road course each time? if so, scout that rt ahead of time. Make note of the turns....remember which gear you need for that turn- most turns you make in 5th or 6th--practice shifting from city gear(9th)- straight to 6th---remember-you brake to that speed then grab it and go. You can roll up to stop signs with the brake--then step on the clutch.
then start back up in 3rd. Unless you're going out on the freeway, you probably will never get above 9th on the route.
If you get time on the pad--to practice--just start driving in 3rd-practice shifting up and down( imagine you're in bumper-to-bumper traffic) slow down--speed up-----back and forth real slow/ use the brake to cut your speed then step down...roll a little ways...brake more...step down again.

This is why some schools have you bob-tail for days before you ever hook a trailer.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all your tips and advice. I'm going to keep practicing on the manual because i do want to learn it, but if I don't feel I can pass a road exam, I am going to try and take it in an auto tranny. I think when I take the test part out of it, I will learn a lot better and easier. I think I'm more stressed out about trying to shift perfectly and pass the road exam that I become my worst enemy. My road test is Tuesday but i only get one day to practice (monday) before I retake my 2nd attempt test on Tuesday. School says thats all they can give me is one day (1 1/2 hr practice). Hopefully I can put all the tips and advice together in that time to at least pass the test. I will keep the auto tranny option in mind though if its not going smooth.

NOW... ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN RENT A TRACTOR WITH AUTO TRANNY IN THE CHICAGO AREA?