User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i got my CDl on my own, but i was still very close to going OTR.
i found it very difficult to find a good paying local job. luckily ABF picked me up at the last week before i started a few OTr orentation.
Honestly, i dont think i would have survived past training out there.
Glad you made it. Welcome to the wonderful world of local
Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Board Icon

That's exactly right Mackman. I love driving and would not mind being OTR but I have yet to find something anywhere close to what I have now in pay. The good thing is, I don't have to worry about the weather unless we get a foot of snow and I can't get to work. If it's pouring down rain and I feel like making some money for that day, I'm more than welcome to work in our shop doing odds and ends for 8 hours. I'm making between $35-37K a year but that's with very little OT due to no new construction work going on here. I'm only averaging about 42 hours a week.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Senior Board Member

I would like to drive OTR but i think my time is worth more the 10/hr when you brake it down to a hourly rate. Im not going to work 70hrs a week for peanuts. I know where you comin from Mr. Ford .
Oh yea and i like gettin paid for everything i do. If the truck brakes down on the side of the road im still on the clock. If the truck will be down for a couple days i can drive the back up truck and still get my hours in. Im not sittin in some hotel room for nothing. I had to wait over 2hrs a couple times and the blacktop planet to get loaded. I get the newpaper out a read it and drink my coffee. Oh yea and thats right im on the clock.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
I would like to drive OTR but i think my time is worth more the 10/hr when you brake it down to a hourly rate. Im not going to work 70hrs a week for peanuts. I know where you comin from Mr. Ford .
Oh yea and i like gettin paid for everything i do. If the truck brakes down on the side of the road im still on the clock. If the truck will be down for a couple days i can drive the back up truck and still get my hours in. Im not sittin in some hotel room for nothing. I had to wait over 2hrs a couple times and the blacktop planet to get loaded. I get the newpaper out a read it and drink my coffee. Oh yea and thats right im on the clock.
Hey Mackman,

I know you're in PA,....... I'm in North Jersey.... finishing up with my class A... and a" friend of a friend" said he'd train me in tri-axel and roll offs (I don't know if he'll hire me or not, but he said he'd "show me the ropes"). Just wondering if you think it's possible to get a job in North Jersey with just with a road test.... and this guys reference? (he owns about 7 trucks).

I'm checking out a few companies in North Jersey, if you know of any please let me know.

thanks in advance.
:wink: :wink:
GTR
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR SILVER
Quote:
Hey Mackman,

I know you're in PA,....... I'm in North Jersey.... finishing up with my class A... and a" friend of a friend" said he'd train me in tri-axel and roll offs (I don't know if he'll hire me or not, but he said he'd "show me the ropes"). Just wondering if you think it's possible to get a job in North Jersey with just with a road test.... and this guys reference? (he owns about 7 trucks).

I'm checking out a few companies in North Jersey, if you know of any please let me know.

thanks in advance.
GTR
It really depends on the outfit. I know some compaines in S.Jersey but not north jersey. Well if he is willing to show you the rope jump on it. His insurance might not take you with no exp. If that is the case go to work for a contractor with his own trucks. Diff type of insurance cuz they are not a truckin company. If he is willin to show you the ropes and take the time to teach you i bet must likely he will hire you.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Mackman,

thanks in advance.
GTR
It really depends on the outfit. I know some compaines in S.Jersey but not north jersey. Well if he is willing to show you the rope jump on it. His insurance might not take you with no exp. If that is the case go to work for a contractor with his own trucks. Diff type of insurance cuz they are not a truckin company. If he is willin to show you the ropes and take the time to teach you i bet must likely he will hire you.

Thanks Mackman, that's a good idea as far as the contractors. Don't know if this guy will hire me or not, we'll see. As far as South Jersey companies, we plan on moving to central or south jersey, so any companies that you know of.........let me know.

thanks again, 8)
GTR
Old 12-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

GTR-

Don't know how far north you are, but there is a company in W. Jersey called SPM or SMP, something like that. They are located in Phillipsburg and I think they are local/regional, so I've seen the sign say. I don't know anything else about them. I hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommee
GTR-

Don't know how far north you are, but there is a company in W. Jersey called SPM or SMP, something like that. They are located in Phillipsburg and I think they are local/regional, so I've seen the sign say. I don't know anything else about them. I hope this helps.
thanks for the reply.............but i'm looking for tri-axle (dump truck) or dump trailers..or roll off co's..in new jersey or nyc......... 8)
Old 12-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
GTR-

thanks for the reply.............but i'm looking for tri-axle (dump truck) or dump trailers..or roll off co's..in new jersey or nyc......... 8)
Best way to find some:
Go to yahoo.com and click on yellow pages, then click on the Business to Business tab. Set location for Newark,NJ and type in "roll off". It will bring up a list of all the roll off compines in the area(Newark and vincinity). Get the address and stop in and see if they are hiring. Best way to find out, do it in person. I use to see many roll offs, dumps,etc in NJ with locations like Newark, Elizabeth, Carteret on the door. You could also try Allied waste and Waste Management. They have roll offs. Never hurts to stop in and ask.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
Quote:
GTR-

Best way to find some:
Go to yahoo.com and click on yellow pages, then click on the Business to Business tab. Set location for Newark,NJ and type in "roll off". It will bring up a list of all the roll off compines in the area(Newark and vincinity). Get the address and stop in and see if they are hiring. Best way to find out, do it in person. I use to see many roll offs, dumps,etc in NJ with locations like Newark, Elizabeth, Carteret on the door. You could also try Allied waste and Waste Management. They have roll offs. Never hurts to stop in and ask.
good idea double r i'll try that............thanks!!!! 8) 8)