User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

my truck has daytime running lights, in other words you can't shut them off without shutting the truck off.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member

For safety reasons I dont flash lights for other drivers. Too much liability if the other driver screws it up.
I'm not saying nobody else should do it, I choose not to.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't think showing my boobs to anybody is appropriate no matter what the situation.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Senior Board Member

15years experience + former trainer

You count 7 (1001,etc) seconds after the truck has cleared in good weather..and you flash(off/on) no High beam! you allow more distance for bad weather..so you're not blinded by spray, etc.( unless you're out of washer fluid and need a window washing.

in the old days, it was custom for a truck to start to signal their intent- when their trailer started to pass you( so you would see all the signal lights + any 4-wheeler behind would know not to try to cut around as soon as they cleared you)

If you're the one doing the passing...you don't whip 'er over as soon as someone "flashes" you...you wait until you can see the entire truck "the picture" in your mirror. And you return to that lane by drift...not an abrupt
"turn" ie...your tractor/trailer should be straight.
With all trucks governed today by the same speed...many large companies
have started to tell their drivers not to "flash"...it wares out lights faster.

Remember you can use your shadow of your trailer to tell if you're clear of another truck too.

too many trucks these days are "whipping' back over without giving enough "following distance" these days.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
For safety reasons I dont flash lights for other drivers. Too much liability if the other driver screws it up.
I don't either. About the only time I do is if they are another tanker or someone from my company.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="ben45750"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
I don't either. About the only time I do is if they are another tanker, someone from my company or a truck with a WOW or O&A sticker.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberducky
my truck has daytime running lights, in other words you can't shut them off without shutting the truck off.
They can be disabled by pulling the DRL fuse.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
I don't think showing my boobs to anybody is appropriate no matter what the situation.
STINGY!!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Board Icon

Drew10 said:

Quote:
Flashing should NEVER occur using the high beams especially at night. I would wager that every driver on this forum has been looking in that right mirror exactly at the time the passed truck flashes the HIGH BEAMS.
Sorry.... you lose the bet! I NEVER "LOOK" in my mirrors when passing another truck at night! I use peripheral vision to "catch" the flash out of the corner of my eye, while keeping my eyes focused on the road ahead of me.

I also, calculate time and length, to KNOW when I am WELL clear of the other truck, and I SIGNAL my intention (as someone said) so cars will not dart between us.

If a truck "flashes" me over when I KNOW I am not a safe distance ahead of him, I will flash my markers to thank him, then continue on until "I" am ready to move over.

As for BEING passed (which is rare,) I will NOT flash another driver over to USURP my "right of way," until he is a SAFE distance ahead of me (at least one trucklength.) I'm NOT getting another ticket for following too closely for something that was NOT MY FAULT!

IF he starts over before I am ready, I MAY flash him to let him know he hasn't caused an ACCIDENT, but then..... if there is no traffic following him, I will IMMEDIATELY put on my left turn blinker, and pull into the left lane! This tells him he has PISSED ME OFF!! (and I WANT my "space!") .... and keeps me from getting a ticket or being in an accident (should he suddenly brake because he's obviously an idiot and may have just missed his exit.)

I am aware that some drivers DON'T flash, so he might have thought I wasn't going to.... but, there is NO EXCUSE for not leaving the driver you passed a SAFE distance when you are taking over HIS "right of way!"

I'm not going to make matters worse by putting my brights on..... but, they usually get the message when I have to change lanes behind them! If they've got the juice, they usually pull away quickly!

This feeds into my biggest pet peeve..... a truck that closed on me (and passed me) doing a good 5-10 mph faster than me..... THEN slows down and hangs off my front bumper EXPECTING me to invite him over!!! If you've got the juice to PASS me..... keep the pedal down and keep GOING!! :shock: :evil:

Now, before some of you get all high and mighty and jump on me..... I also have NO PROBLEM with occaisionally dropping back a mph or two to help someone out! Many times a LIGHTER truck passes me on a hill when I'm heavy, but can't finish the job at the top of the hill because HE is governed below what MY truck is! I don't ask this guy to go back and get behind me (usually) I just back off and let him in, then pass him back.

I am a VERY courteous driver, both to trucks AND 4wheelers. But, I believe that one of the most UNSAFE conditions on the road is two trucks playing the Elephant train game! I didn't get into trucking to stare at your back door, and be whipped about by your "prop wash!"

I won't Tailgate you.... and I won't let you "bumpergate" ME!!!

I ALSO want to show my agreement with the driver/poster who said "move back over gently" and not WHIP it in there! I've seen so many drivers do that, and usually whip their tandems right off the side of the road! Who the HECK taught you to drive??? Not only do I NOT need rocks in my windshield..... but I don't need you "losing it" and wrecking right off my front bumper!!!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I don't flash anyone and I don't pull in when flashed either unless it's safe.