User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I already know that I'm screwed...but...

Hello...

Thanks to this board, I already know I'm screwed...but because of my location (FL), 2 misdemeanors and an ancient DUI - I had to sign up up with a dog company (CR England). I never knew the industry was so picky...

I have no intention of trying to be a lease operator, so I figure they'll starve me out as a company driver. So long as I can hang in for 3 months and then leave, I don't care too much...but I do worry about DAC comments.

SWIFT was an option, but their training is about $2K more and there's a year long contract...plus 4 guys to a room...my goal is just to get the CDL and hopefully (when as opposed to if necessary) leave after 3 months and then go to one of the companies that will take me on (I'm not good enough for their school, but I'm good enough after I have a cdl)...

I would have loved to asked this question earlier, but I won't get into all that...but does this seem a probable exit strategy from CR England?

I know their training isn't so awesome, but aside from this most people seem to have a beef with their Lease - which I won't touch...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Default Re: I already know that I'm screwed...but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_smoke
Hello...

Thanks to this board, I already know I'm screwed...but because of my location (FL), 2 misdemeanors and an ancient DUI - I had to sign up up with a dog company (CR England). I never knew the industry was so picky...

I have no intention of trying to be a lease operator, so I figure they'll starve me out as a company driver. So long as I can hang in for 3 months and then leave, I don't care too much...but I do worry about DAC comments.

SWIFT was an option, but their training is about $2K more and there's a year long contract...plus 4 guys to a room...my goal is just to get the CDL and hopefully (when as opposed to if necessary) leave after 3 months and then go to one of the companies that will take me on (I'm not good enough for their school, but I'm good enough after I have a cdl)...

I would have loved to asked this question earlier, but I won't get into all that...but does this seem a probable exit strategy from CR England?

I know their training isn't so awesome, but aside from this most people seem to have a beef with their Lease - which I won't touch...
Well first off let me say welcome to CAD.I started off my career with CR England and got my CDL thru them a couple years ago.And I also created a thread detailing my experiences with them which you should look at.I DID NOT agree with CR Englands business practices,the way they treated me,the way my dispatcher would try to pressure me into running illegal then when I didnt he tried to have me sit for a few days.Nor how when I tried to leave them after a few months they refused to verify my employment.My advice to you sir if this is truly what you want,youre going to have to stay there at least 6 months to a year to have another company pick you up.Having 3 months experience doesnt really mean too much.When running with cr england,expect to start out at 26cpm,get low miles (especially this time of year),and on top of all that have your tuition payment of $75 come out of your weekly pay.If I were in your shoes,I would EXHAUST all the resources I had including searching ALL schools,government sponsored programs,and/or my local community college for cdl training.But it seems like youre already in the process of CR england,so I would keep my nose clean,NEVER run illegal (believe me they will try to get you to),and never become too friendly with your dispatcher.Get in AT LEAST 6 MO'S exp,then look at companies like interstate distributer co and possibly crete. best of luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Hello...

Solid smoke I;m sure if u read more on this website your going to find out that the 2 misdemeanors and DUI is going farther limit you.. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2007, 04:03 AM
Board Regular

Solid_Smoke, If CR England is your only option at this time, you really should try to grit your teath and stick it out with them for 6 months at a mininum. If you can survive for a full year, you will have more job options available to you. Think long term and get a year under your belt.

Be extra safety minded once you get on the road. If you have any accidents or tickets you could be stuck at CR England for a long time.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Rookie
Default very nice...

The response-time i mean, not the fact that I'm screwed. My DUI was over 7 years ago, but who cares...don't want to give too much detail - never know who's watching the boards, but I do know that I'm in for a less than pleasant ... time.

And I do know that the longer I can hang the better off I am, but ain't there any options? Its amazing that a misdemeanor or 2 can jam you...but I DO hear ya on keeping the nose clean and driving SAFE. When I do go, I'm going to try to bring the best attitude I can...but I also want to CMA.

Thanks for the advice so far, and by all means keep it coming...its not that I ignored what I'd read, its just that my options fizzled-out, and I MUST have an income some way some how. I'd have loved to go with a better company, they just didn't want me. If I could go into detail on the 2 misdemeanors, you'd know I wasn't a criminal - but that's the way it goes. Its been a bitter pill to be a total outsider to the trucking industry and be told "You ain't good enough for us"...but this is a bullet I apparently have to bite.

I had said 3 months because some of the companies aren't ok w/ my record for the CDL training, but have said they'd be open to hiring me as a co. driver if I had 3 months OTR and was willing to re-train with them. I know that'd look a bit messy, and 6 months w/ 1 company would look better than 6 months OTR w/ 2 companies, but CRE seems like a known quantity...I mean, a **** by any other name is still a ****.

So, in short, go SAFE, go by the book, and while I can provide my own lunch, expect plenty of **** sammiches.

I hate **** sammiches.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Rookie
Default real quick Q

They do use qualcom - right?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would plan on staying with a company for at least a year. It shows much more stability. If I were you, I would try to arrange for my own schooling. There are many community colleges and state vocational schools that offer CDL training. It is usually a little longer, but the costs are normally much less. When you complete your training, you won't have the big obligation and they usually assist you in finding suitable employment.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Until the MD's and the DUI are off your record, it doesnt matter how long you stay with CR, they'll still be there when you apply to another company. Your experience wont mean anything to an insurance company, so you might as well stay with CR England.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Until the MD's and the DUI are off your record, it doesnt matter how long you stay with CR, they'll still be there when you apply to another company. Your experience wont mean anything to an insurance company, so you might as well stay with CR England.

:shock: You might want to re-pharse that. :P
Old 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Board Regular

Your DUI shouldnt even be an issue, I have one to back in 98 and all the companies I spoke with blew it off as being so old not to be an issue.

Quote:
Hello...