User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default no money

Whats this truck drivers dont make any money. i'm getting ready to get my CDL because all i've heard was truck driving is were the money is. I'm 42 and never maid 30,000 a year, this is why i've decided to become a otr driver. Is all a lie?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 AM

You can make 30K driving a truck but it not easy work. I can think of other jobs you can do to make simular money but thequestion u should ask yourself is do u like driving all hours of the day and night, staying away from family and friends for days or even weeks at a time. do u mine sleeping inside a truck with a small bed?

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

There are drivers working for the wrong companies that do not make any money. There are drivers who allow themselves to get suckered into a lease purchase deal who often do not make any money.

Then you have drivers who make 40k or more a year but because they are not making 80k a year say they are not making any money.

On top of this you have drivers out there who think they have to eat steak 3 times a day, spend a few hours a day playing video slot machines, and have to have the biggest baddest radio and every piece of chrome known to man and dog on their truck who say they can not make any money.

Then you have the argument that if you compute how many hours you are away from home and compare that to the money you do make you are not making any money.

If you stay away from the ultra low paying companies and/or the bottom feeding companies you should make at least 30k your first year of driving. (Your first year starts once all training is complete.) Some drivers do make 35-40k their first year, but a more realistic average is closer to 30.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:11 AM
Default Re: no money

Quote:
Originally Posted by korekalido
Whats this truck drivers dont make any money. i'm getting ready to get my CDL because all i've heard was truck driving is were the money is. I'm 42 and never maid 30,000 a year, this is why i've decided to become a otr driver. Is all a lie?
That is part of what drew me into trucking in the first place. The availability of jobs and the pay rate. However, most of the "good" jobs (higher paying, better benefits, etc.) all require 2 years or more of experience, usually OTR. There are also "local" jobs to be had, but the majority of those are beverage companies (Coke, Pepsi, beer) or food service (Sysco) which require a lot of manual labor and 12+ hour days for average pay.

Once in a while you may get the opportunity for something better, but the probability of that is relatively low (though it is highly area dependent). Keep in mind that just starting out, you will be relegated to the "bottom feeder" companies like Swift, Werner, US Express, and so on.

The potential to make money is there, but it depends on how hard you are willing to run and how often you want to run. You'll usually make more money by running OTR than regional, but you'll be away from home more often. Conversely, the opposite is true with a regional run - more home time, less money. Then there are dedicated accounts which can vary widely depending on the company and the account.

Disclaimer:
I tried to make a career out of trucking and didn't like it, so I left. I figured if I were going to invest 2 years of my life into a career, it would be one with a higher income potential and one where I could stay at home. Ultimately though, it is up to you as to whether or not you want to get into the field. I'm not going to tell you that it'll ruin your life or anything..it could be the best thing to ever happen to you. I'm offering a different view than some others will give you - nothing more, nothing less.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Default money making

Yes, you can pull in what is by far an above average income. But, you will almost always work atleast 70hrs. a week, work nights weekends, and holidays. But, if you can deal with missing a birthday or a holiday it is a hell of alot of fun. I can not believe somebody pays me to drive a truck when it CAN BE so much fun, somedays aren't fun at all.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 AM

36,188.71---- so far this yr thats training pay+mileage after getting my own truck(company driver) this is of last wk.

Is that good money? to some yes to some nope. I should break 45k maybe a lil less by the end of the yr and YES this is my first yr out. BUT BUT BUT I dont go home every 2wks the summer i went home about that but other then that im out 4-6wks.

No baggage at home so I can afford to be out longer then some others.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 AM
Default good money

That does not seem bad to me. You made more than me so far, but I am a regional driver and have grossed about 32-33,000 this year. I do get a lot more time at home though as I am married.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:27 AM

its a trade off IMO more hometime= lil less money less hometime= a lil more money

To be honest I dont think I could do OTR married I would want to be home everyday. I admire anyone out here married it takes a lot of work.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Default tradeoff

Don't let some of these OTR guys fool you about what they make. The next time some driver is trying to tell you he takes home a 1000 a week minimum I would ask to see his payroll on the qualcomm if it is available. Remember alot of guys just want that referral bonus and will tell you how great their company is.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:55 PM

When I was delivering beer i talked to this guy that works for MBM, food service co. , I asked how the pay was and he took me out to his vehicle and showed me his paycheck stub, this was in december of 05, he had grossed 89k, put 18k into his retirement account. Had been with MBM 20 plus years. Thats when i started looking for another job!!! Busted hump for 45k doing the beer thing.