User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default hi all im looking for some advice

hi all, im new to this forum and currently live in the united kingdom. i am from northern ireland but moved to the uk to drive trucks. at present i am working for a large supermarket chain delivering to stores. i dont have any nights away from home and always get into my own bed at night. anyway im thinking of spreading my wings and have been thinking for sometime about a move to the US or maybe canada. i have never been to america or canada and dont know anyone at all that lives in these countries. america seems like a wonderful country with so much to see and do. can any of you guys on here offer me some advice, whats the work like over there, i believe you get paid by the mile. here i get paid an hourlr rate.

i have not got a clue where in america id even like to go. i dont even know where to start in making my dream a reality. im just so fed up over here and in majort need of a change.

all replies gratefully appreciated.
hope to hear from yopu all soon.

al
Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Depending on the type of driving job, drivers here are paid either per mile, a percentage of the revenue of the load, flat rate per load, or hourly.

Most drivers who do like you are doing, deliver to supermarkets, eating establishments, etc are usually paid by the hour.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:33 PM

First, let me welcome you to Class A Drivers. I think there are many that will offer you a helping hand.

It might be better for you to immigrate directly to Canada- you know the Commonwealth and all that. In the US, I believe you would have to start over and earn your CDL [Commercial Drivers License] You might also have problems unless you go through one of the many schools for drivers as its easier to get hired that way.

There are drivers here from the British Isles so I know its possible. Good luck and keep us posted.

Rick