User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default flatbbed question

Got a friend scheduled to go to orientation at McElroy in a couple of weeks, but after talking to a few of their drivers this week he is a little concerned. They are saying they are not getting any miles right now. Around 1400 to 1700. Is this common this time of year for flatbed? This is what he is being told, or is flatbed just slow now and if it is does anyone see it picking back up anytime soon?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 AM

I drive for Maverick. It does slow down this time of year.I am staying busy but am hauling loads I haven't hauled before.It will be slow until around the end of February then it picks up. Not a good time to be training in flatbed,but if he can stick it out,things will look up.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member

not to be scary, but to be honest.. things will slow this year more than previous years. a recession has already started. 08' will not be a good year for flatbedding overall in general. as mc elroy hauls a lot of lumber & the housing boom witch still has not seen the bottom yet will have an affect.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Freight gets slow during this time of year for most companies, regardless of the type of freight. Vans can do a little better up until just before Christmas. Winter is slower for construction, which is a big part of flat bed freight. Another is the auto industry which uses a lot of steel. I would expect miles to be somewhere between 1,700-2,200/week during the average winter season. It is usually slow until around the middle to end of February. Those miles could be about the same for vans as well as flats.