User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Auto Transport question.

I have a CDL for about 7 years. All of my driving has been hauling Material in a 10 wheeler with a dove trail trailer and a backhoe. All the work has left this area so I need to change jobs. I would like to buy a used older truck and a 6 car trailer. My question is this, Is there enough work out here on the west cost to stay local/be at home at night and how much money is it going to cost me to do it minus fule and equipment cost? I have herd stories of it being around $9000.00 a year just for cargo insurance. what els might I have to look forward to paying? Any help with these questions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Rookie

Also who is a good contact for car to move? I live in Escondido CA (Southern California).
Old 11-16-2007, 11:26 PM

Don't take this the wrong way but how do you expect to haul cars and be home at night? The most you're gonna go in SoCal is 300 miles each way and that's really pushing it considering the traffic and pick ups and drop offs. I don't think many people are going to need their cars moved less than 300 miles where they will pay a bunch of cash to have it done. I could be wrong.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Rookie

Thats why I'm here to see what every one has to say. I do know that there are routs 120miles going from San Diego to LA auctions and Home at nite. There are also some going into AZ from San Diego it's a over niter. What I don't know is how to get in and who to talk to. I don't mind being gone over nite if it's a couple times a week like the Vegas run I hear about. Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:24 AM

Lots of "used car lots" buy crashed cars for pennies on the dollar at auctions and then fix then and sell them at book value. I caught a place in San Diego that tried to rip me off on one. I asked if the car was ever in an accident and they said no. So I did a VIN search and found it had been totalled and I called the state atty general on them.

Any there's a bajillion used car places in your area so that might be a place to look. Grab the yellow pages and make some calls. Can't hurt. I can't think of anything besides that at the moment. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have a friend who hauls cars in your area. He mostly runs Vegas, Reno, Phoenix, the bay area and Southern California. He gets home most weekends, but is out most of the week. You might be able to work the auto auctions, but those short runs usually aren't very profitable. Auction cars must be moved within a very short time frame, in most cases. I think you will have a difficult time hauling cars and being home every night. There are some load boards which cater to car haulers. My suggestion would be to contact auctions in the area where you want to work and talk with them. It can be difficult to get your foot in the door with them. You may also contact car dealers. Most all of them attend auctions. When I hauled cars I primarily had my own dealers with whom I worked. There are a number of brokers who may be able to keep you loaded. The problem is being home every night. If you want to drive a truck and be home every night, you would probably be much better off doing LTL's.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Rookie
Default So-Cal used car market

There is a new market for used cars in all the States that borders with Mexico, since Mexican Gov. Is allowing Mexicans to import used cars,
I started with a 6 car Kauffman trailer, runing from Houston,TX to Brownsville,TX a 750 miles round trip for $1200.
$550.00 expenses (fuel&driver) 5 trips per week,If you are in South California tray contacting used car Dealers established in the border,
good places to start is at Los Angeles Auctions
Old 11-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Rookie
Default Re: So-Cal used car market

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCaptain
There is a new market for used cars in all the States that borders with Mexico, since Mexican Gov. Is allowing Mexicans to import used cars,
I started with a 6 car Kauffman trailer, runing from Houston,TX to Brownsville,TX a 750 miles round trip for $1200.
$550.00 expenses (fuel&driver) 5 trips per week,If you are in South California tray contacting used car Dealers established in the border,
good places to start is at Los Angeles Auctions
I know a guy that makes these runs from San Diego to LA. He's gone all the time and I hear him talk smack about guys that don't want to be gone all week. Thats easy for him to do his wife rides with him and his kids are all moved out! If you don't mind me asking what is the daily break down. I know it very's from state to state and driver to driver. I was figuring on starting a estimate like this. 7mpg avg so around $2000.00 a week in fuel, $9000 a yer cargo ins, $2200.00 a year truck trailer ins, $200 monthly CA road tx, $5000.00 Reg on truck and trailer yearly, $.10 pm maint cost and $550.00 expenses. I know you can't realy catch every thing that needs to be added but minus the fuel cost and truck or trailer payment does this sound like it might be in the ball park at $3633.33 a month?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:51 PM

If I were you I'd go to Sysco foods in Poway. Around $20 an hour and full bennies, home every night. All the "risk" is on them, not you and you'll make better money. Paid holidays and vacations, cheap insurance. All things you won't get being an independent.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Rookie

Sysco foods? I will look into that. My problem is I have a prior back injury. So it makes it kinda tough to get a job.