User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Your base plates and UCR should not run more than about $2,000/year. I pay less than $75/quarter for fuel taxes, and that is on a class 8 truck. I am not sure what you are talking about on the $550 for expenses and whether that is monthly or annually. I use 5 mpg when calculating my fuel costs. If I do better than I am pleasantly surprised. If not, then I am in the ballpark. If you are using a dually, then your mpg should be fairly decent. You will have tires, oil changes and other maintenance issues on any truck. You also need to remember to pay yourself. That is also an expense. Unless I missed it, you need to check to see whether you can get insurance and what it will cost. I don't know if the figures you posted are actually from an agent or estimates you have put together from another source. You must have insurance before you can do anything else. You won't be able to get your authority, cab card or IFTA without insurance.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:47 PM

SYSCO Food Services of San Diego, Inc.
12180 Kirkham Road
Poway, CA 92064
(858) 513 - 7300 Telephone
(858) 513 - 7253 FAX

The physical is easy to pass. But with your back, who knows? You didn't say how bad it is. You gotta hump all the freight but San Diego is the best place in the world for LTL. 70 and sunny every day ya know.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Rookie

Badlogin wrote
I know a guy that makes these runs from San Diego to LA. He's gone all the time and I hear him talk smack about guys that don't want to be gone all week. Thats easy for him to do his wife rides with him and his kids are all moved out! If you don't mind me asking what is the daily break down. I know it very's from state to state and driver to driver. I was figuring on starting a estimate like this. 7mpg avg so around $2000.00 a week in fuel, $9000 a yer cargo ins, $2200.00 a year truck trailer ins, $200 monthly CA road tx, $5000.00 Reg on truck and trailer yearly, $.10 pm maint cost and $550.00 expenses. I know you can't realy catch every thing that needs to be added but minus the fuel cost and truck or trailer payment does this sound like it might be in the ball park at $3633.33 a month?

Actually,I dont have truck or trailer payments, my fixed daily costs are $70.00 including Liability Ins. Cargo Ins. 2290, Tires, food and PM plus $450.00 fuel 115 Gal @ $3.50 and $250 driver= $700.00 that leaves $500.00 for the truck per trip 5 trips a week =$2500.00 X 4=$10,000.00 Month, driver leaves 3:00 am gets there 9:00 am load 1 1/2 hour is on his way back by 11:00 am, deliveryng cars by 7 or 8:00 pm I know that puts you out of hours, but drivers are allowed 1 extra hour when close to terminal to finish the trip
Old 11-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Rookie

driver leaves 3:00 am gets there 9:00 am load 1 1/2 hour is on his way back by 11:00 am, deliveryng cars by 7 or 8:00 pm I know that puts you out of hours, but drivers are allowed 1 extra hour when close to terminal to finish the trip

Thanks GhostCaptain for your reply.
I have herd these same number from others on the time issue. Excuse my ignorance me being a dirt hauler but I don't know what a LTL is? Is there a better kind of trucking that will keep me local and will not require my to lift? I'm not try to make a million I just don't want to lose my house and put my wife baby girl and me on the street.

Oh by the way fader I blew my L4 and L5. I can drive fine but I can't lift more then 25-30 lbs.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:02 AM

Well you can cross LTL off your list then. Good luck with the car gig.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may want to rethink your decision about hauling cars if you have a problem with your back. That is unless you go with something like the wedge or step deck. If not, you will be doing some tight maneuvering to get in and out of cars. It can get a bit tight. If you have problems bending then it could be difficult for you. It also requires you to get down low on the ground to secure some of the vehicles on the lower deck if it is a standard car trailer. I am not trying to discourage you, but it is something of which you should be aware.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farder
Well you can cross LTL off your list then. Good luck with the car gig.
Well thanks for your time and input fader.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You may want to rethink your decision about hauling cars if you have a problem with your back. That is unless you go with something like the wedge or step deck. If not, you will be doing some tight maneuvering to get in and out of cars. It can get a bit tight. If you have problems bending then it could be difficult for you. It also requires you to get down low on the ground to secure some of the vehicles on the lower deck if it is a standard car trailer. I am not trying to discourage you, but it is something of which you should be aware.

I hear what you are saying but Im noy sure I have a choice. I have grown up around trucks all of my life. My dad used to haul lowboy. So it's all I have done my hole life Is trucks and heavy equpiment. Equipment causes me more back problems then being in a truck all day. I just need to find something. Thats why I was thinking about sticking with a 6 car trailer. I could go bigger but I know better or think I do :wink: