User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Here is an idea stage a real speed test were a semi and a car collide with dummies in the car and behind the wheel of the semi. Do it at 65 MPH that way it would be realistic and do it where the car cuts the truck off to get to the exit but misjudged the hole and gets hit. That alone would maybeget people thinking.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I do alot of shopping mall type deliveries, multistop. (not city type trucks but full size OTR 18wheeler). This is problem that will not go away regardless of the training and testing for the 4wheeler. Todays lifestyle is the "me first" mentality. (Sorry to say not just by the 4wheeler). This requires the Professional to be even more on their toes when mixing it up with the 4wheels, especially when we are driving on "their turf", (in the cities, traffic lights etc). Anytime a right turn (or any turn is accomplished), and a wide setup is required, you must keep a constant alert to the inside turn of the truck, as the 4wheelers just dont understand the manuevering ablities of the truck, and even to an extent the outside turn of the truck. (Ive had them sneak around that side as well). Before even attempting the turn, know what is around and behind you, and be very observant in the convex mirrors as the turn progresses. The locals will sneak onto the side of the truck as you start to initiate the "button hook". If one sneaks into you side, the best you can do is stop (probably blocking an intersection) and wait for the offender to get out of there.
Another one is the street you are turning into (from a right turn). The traffic that may be sitting at their red light, but stopped to far ahead or past the stop line, which will effectively keep you from completing the swing. Just have to stop and wait for them to clear or wait before starting the turn.
Educating the motoring public about the manueverablity of 18wheels isnt a bad thing, but the complaciency will resume because their "me first" mentality will set back in.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Default making turns

i saw a sticker on the right hand rear trl door of a trl i was behind yesterday that read {}THIS TRK MAKES WIDE ASS TURNS}. cracked me up i need one of thoses signs for my trl
Old 11-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I agree 200% on this. The problem I see is that the fines aren't high enough. A first offense moving violation should be a *HUGE* fine. We're talking $1,000 minimum. For a second violation there should not only be a huge fine, but also a license suspension, perhaps 30 days minimum. Also, to get their license back they should have to take their ENTIRE license test again - driving and written.
VA just tried to do something along those lines Malaki, didn't work very well. The state repeeled what they had just passed into law because everyone threw a fit about how it would only affect VA residents when the :roll: "out of towners":roll: were the major problem. Need every state to join in together in doing what you said. The only problem I see, what if it's a very minor moving violation, like 2 mph over the speed limit??
Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I agree 200% on this. The problem I see is that the fines aren't high enough. A first offense moving violation should be a *HUGE* fine. We're talking $1,000 minimum. For a second violation there should not only be a huge fine, but also a license suspension, perhaps 30 days minimum. Also, to get their license back they should have to take their ENTIRE license test again - driving and written.
VA just tried to do something along those lines Malaki, didn't work very well. The state repeeled what they had just passed into law because everyone threw a fit about how it would only affect VA residents when the :roll: "out of towners":roll: were the major problem. Need every state to join in together in doing what you said. The only problem I see, what if it's a very minor moving violation, like 2 mph over the speed limit??
The way I see it - a moving violation is a moving violation. No matter how minor.

Maybe the country needs a national licensing system - not state controlled. Then the fines and penalties would be the same, no matter where you are. That would also eliminate the "out of towners" issue.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Board Regular

Funny how the subject of this thread changed from making wide turns to highway speeds and fines for speeding. :lol: The beef of the OP was not speeding,but of idiots that don't give enough room for a truck to make a wide turn. Now on the speeding topic I think that speed limits need to be raised everywhere and the use of turn signals and lane usage be strictly enforced. Every day there is a clown poking along in the passing lane and even the cops blow by them on the right. :shock: It is no wonder that accidents on the autobahn are much lower than in the U.S. even though they drive at much higher speeds.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Now that I do city driving hauling gas I'm doing button hooks all day long in extremely tight places. I have people cutting in on me all the time when I'm making wide turns, I watch them closely but I don't stop to let them around me. I don't care if I block a light for a couple cycles. THEY ARE MOVING! NOT ME!

Same thing goes when I get on the station lot. I don't wait for people to move their car, if I can drop the fuel I'm dropping it and not waiting for them to move their car. It pisses them off but they will do the same thing to me if they have the opportunity to block me in.

When I first started hauling gas I was Pushover Pete waiting for people to get out of the stores, letting people get around before I made my turn, waited for people to move their car so I didn't block them in. I did every thing I could to not make people mad. It just to the point where I said screw it, they don't let me go around them why should I let them. Now I save about an hour of my time every day.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
Here is an idea stage a real speed test were a semi and a car collide with dummies in the car and behind the wheel of the semi. Do it at 65 MPH that way it would be realistic and do it where the car cuts the truck off to get to the exit but misjudged the hole and gets hit. That alone would maybeget people thinking.
I'll volunteer my driving services with my dump truck :lol: .
Old 11-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Board Regular

Want something that is really scary? I understand that teenagers in Texas don't have to take driver's ed any more. Parents can "teach" their kids to drive then they take their test. Look out because really bad habits are going to become "normal" driving. I have really had to sharpen up driving around Dallas and to expect the expected. 4 wheelers making poor decisions around cars are only going to get worse.
A friend of mine had a 4 wheeler come around him on the left as he was turning right the other day. He had two choices...hit the car or swing his trailer into the concrete barrier. Took the barrier and screwed up the rim on the front tandem on the trailer and flattened the tire. Of course the 4 wheeler just took off never knowing that she had just caused him to have to report an accident to the company.

Soladad
Old 11-12-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soladad
Want something that is really scary? I understand that teenagers in Texas don't have to take driver's ed any more. Parents can "teach" their kids to drive then they take their test. Look out because really bad habits are going to become "normal" driving. I have really had to sharpen up driving around Dallas and to expect the expected. 4 wheelers making poor decisions around cars are only going to get worse.
A friend of mine had a 4 wheeler come around him on the left as he was turning right the other day. He had two choices...hit the car or swing his trailer into the concrete barrier. Took the barrier and screwed up the rim on the front tandem on the trailer and flattened the tire. Of course the 4 wheeler just took off never knowing that she had just caused him to have to report an accident to the company.

Soladad
Mystep-dad taught me. Three years of driving so far and my record is squeeky clean.

Of course Im also naturally cautious because while the thought of death doesnt really scare me.... I dont wanna ruin anybody elses day :lol:

There is a light I go through everyday on the way to work. Im always turning left at the light and there are warehouses back up that road. People ALWAYS pull too far forward and make the truck drivers life hell.

I had to back up 20~ feet the other day because a truck needed to turn there. He was quite happy when I did that ops: