User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Done done- Off on the yellow brick road with CDL in our hand

Finally its over or I might say about to really begin

Wife and I finally finished today and we start home [about 500 miles] tomorrow. I wanted to thank everyone who offered help and encouragement during the last couple of months.

Been offered orientation with a couple of companies and believe we are off to US Xpress. We really had a problem finding a good company that would hire from our area- Northwest Montana.

Our training, we believe, was top rate. Really supportive folks at the Sage in Billings Montana. Even towed doubles during the course. Had over 50 hours alone with instructor in the truck. This greatly benefited my wife.

We'll update soon. Please wish us luck

Rick

:P :P :P :P
Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Board Regular

Wishing you both the best in your new chapter over there
Old 11-09-2007, 02:11 AM

I would think long and hard about going to US Xpress as my first company. Mainly because their auto shifts could cause you a problem finding another company in the future.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ81
I would think long and hard about going to US Xpress as my first company. Mainly because their auto shifts could cause you a problem finding another company in the future.
good advice........... :wink:
Old 11-09-2007, 03:44 AM

Quote:
USX does have auto shifts. They also have cutting edge technology. This is not the recruiter talking- he hasn't even mentioned it. I imagine my wife and I will be less tired and more alert after 9-10 hours of driving with auto-shift and USX's safety set.

We learned how to double clutch- we did it all. Our license's are not restricted. It MIGHT cause another carrier pause in the future but we can go back to any Sage School and do a refresher if necessary for very little cost. I also have a sneaking suspicion auto shifts will become far more common in the next 4-5 years,

Remember, our options were limited by geography and experience.

Rick

PS Two major trucking companies told me auto-shift experience would be no problem as long as our CDL's were not restricted and we passed the standardized road test. Both companies stated we would get the same starting pay as with any other company with same experience.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjallen
Quote:
USX does have auto shifts. They also have cutting edge technology. This is not the recruiter talking- he hasn't even mentioned it. I imagine my wife and I will be less tired and more alert after 9-10 hours of driving with auto-shift and USX's safety set.

We learned how to double clutch- we did it all. Our license's are not restricted. It MIGHT cause another carrier pause in the future but we can go back to any Sage School and do a refresher if necessary for very little cost. I also have a sneaking suspicion auto shifts will become far more common in the next 4-5 years,

Remember, our options were limited by geography and experience.

Rick

PS Two major trucking companies told me auto-shift experience would be no problem as long as our CDL's were not restricted and we passed the standardized road test. Both companies stated we would get the same starting pay as with any other company with same experience.
Not too crush your bubble or anything,but you didnt "do it all" in your trucking school.If you do hit the road,especially this time of year,you will soon surely find that portion out.and I think the previous poster meant it would be hard for you to get a job after us xpress because after leaving them you would of not gained any additional gear shifting skill let alone maintained them.I was also curious,what "cutting edge" technology does us xpress have that you speak of? Anyway,congrats on your CDL and BOL.p.s interstate distributor co is also based out of the north west.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Not too crush your bubble or anything,but you didnt "do it all" in your trucking school.If you do hit the road,especially this time of year,you will soon surely find that portion out.and I think the previous poster meant it would be hard for you to get a job after us xpress because after leaving them you would of not gained any additional gear shifting skill let alone maintained them.I was also curious,what "cutting edge" technology does us xpress have that you speak of? Anyway,congrats on your CDL and BOL.p.s interstate distributor co is also based out of the north west.[/quote]

Interstate was our first initial choice. Their trucks are all over the I-90 corridor. They will not hire from NW Montana. I've called twice.

USX has VORAD- a self adjusting cruise control that "sees" traffic ahead and adjusts speed. All their trucks have a right side camera with a screen visible to the driver. Good for backing and takes away most of the blind spot. Trucks have a stability control vehicle that reduces trailer jack knife possibility and enhances braking, especially in poor conditions. I am very familiar with these systems and know they have limitations. I also know they work. I also like the fact USX is willing to put more than lip service behind safety.

I understand we do not know everything about truck driving. I think I indicated we were just really starting on our journey. What I meant when I said "we did it all" was we took a very extensive full driver training course- all on manual shift trucks. Our licenses are not restricted. Auto shifte trucks were a concern and I researched it as far a I could and think I have made a good decision- time will tell.

I do know- from talking with team drivers from USX- we will make a good income.

Thanks for the good wishes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rick
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjallen
Not too crush your bubble or anything,but you didnt "do it all" in your trucking school.If you do hit the road,especially this time of year,you will soon surely find that portion out.and I think the previous poster meant it would be hard for you to get a job after us xpress because after leaving them you would of not gained any additional gear shifting skill let alone maintained them.I was also curious,what "cutting edge" technology does us xpress have that you speak of? Anyway,congrats on your CDL and BOL.p.s interstate distributor co is also based out of the north west.
Quote:
Interstate was our first initial choice. Their trucks are all over the I-90 corridor. They will not hire from NW Montana. I've called twice.

USX has VORAD- a self adjusting cruise control that "sees" traffic ahead and adjusts speed. All their trucks have a right side camera with a screen visible to the driver. Good for backing and takes away most of the blind spot. Trucks have a stability control vehicle that reduces trailer jack knife possibility and enhances braking, especially in poor conditions. I am very familiar with these systems and know they have limitations. I also know they work. I also like the fact USX is willing to put more than lip service behind safety.

I understand we do not know everything about truck driving. I think I indicated we were just really starting on our journey. What I meant when I said "we did it all" was we took a very extensive full driver training course- all on manual shift trucks. Our licenses are not restricted. Auto shifte trucks were a concern and I researched it as far a I could and think I have made a good decision- time will tell.

I do know- from talking with team drivers from USX- we will make a good income.

Thanks for the good wishes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rick
Back when I talked to USX several years ago you could switch off the auto-shift. I know the one I drove you could. I ended up not going with them for other reasons. But from what I saw the had first rate equipment.

kc0iv
Old 11-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Rookie

you will learn to hate the vorad as well the wind and a number of other factors well have you not using your cruise at all and that will get old driving for 11 plus hours without cruise its that the senser picks up alot more than just a 4wheeler but wind is the biggest factor they suk
Old 11-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Board Regular

I listened to a us express recruiter just yesterday in Madisonville KY ( for the 2nd time) and he said they are not using the Vorad although the display he set up said otherwise. Just curious if you got your info from a display, poster or internet since you said the recruiter never even mentioned it. Perhaps this is for the Eastern division out of Chattanooga Tn , could be different out west. Seemed like a good company though and I am thinking of trying to get on with them since I was prehired already.