User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Unwritten Rules of Trucking????

As a rookie driver who is soon to begin a career in trucking I was wondering from you Super Truckers what are some common trucking etiquette.

I'm sure that trucking is somewhat like a brotherhood or fraternity. Hopefully someone could elaborate on some of the unwritten rules of trucking.

1. Sharing the road....

2. Truck Stop dos and don'ts...

3. Rookie and Super Trucker relationships...

4. Helping one who is in need of help...

5. General things that every trucker should know...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Board Regular

I think that sharing the road is very important for obvious reasons. Pulling forward in a fuel island and not taking too long to grab a burger inside the Wendy's at a Pilot is a biggie. Some guys will wait a long time for poor service and figure they will wait to get what they want regardless of how long a fellow trucker may be waiting behind them outside. But seriously, the way I hear it, the lack of etiquette on the road is what distinguishes the past from the present in trucking. It really not a free for all in behavior, be as decent as you normally should and hope for the best in return.

There's an awful lot of etiquette that should be adopted.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Categorize it in either #1, #3, or #5, as you wish:

If it takes longer than a minute to pass another truck, you don't need to pass it. Just back it down half a mile per hour and stay the hell out of the left lane. (Yeah I'm talking to you, JB/Swift/Schneider/ConWay/WalMart/US Express/UPS/anyone else governed at 65)

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 11-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT under any circumstances do any of the following!!

1. Park on the fuel island and go take a shower, go to Wendy's, Mickey D's, the BK lounge or go take a shower.....or bs with someone. Fuel and get your receipt....and leave, or park the $#@*& thing in a PARKING PLACE!!

2. When you park in a parking spot....center it up and do not straddle the line and take up two spots.

3. When you take a shower...get in there, take care of how many of the 3 S's you have to take care of and get your tired butt out. While your ego may tell you that you are god-like and special....you are not. Others are waiting.

4. Truckstops and rest areas are not $%#**&% nascar racetracks. Move slowly through them, lest you screw up and hit someone or something and ruin your day or even your life.

5. You are one of a couple of million...drivers...learn a little consideration and humility. Your ego doesn't count for squat. Be humble, and be polite, to everyone. It will help keep your blood pressure down. And who knows, you might find yourself being treated better by your fellow man.

6. If a sign says 55mph....don't exceed it. Do what signs say. If it says "All trucks use left lane"....do it. There is a reason.

7. If you want to hold a "lovefest" with your buddy on the cb, do it on another channel.....like "41". No-one on the planet wants to hear you babble and blather.

8. Act like a professional....not an FNG.

9. Act like an ADULT, and you will be treated like one.

10. If you are a "racist"....shut the %^^$#%^&&** UP!! and keep it to yourself. No-one gives a rats ^&&%%$$#$^Y&U what you think.

11. Dress like a professional....not a homeless bum who stole the truck.
If you want to be treated with respect....act and dress like you deserve it. Your "mere existence" does not, I repeat DOES NOT qualify you to receive any more respect than you appear to deserve. And frankly if you look like a walking "turd" and smell like one....you will be treated like one.

12. Just because you drive a large vehicle...this does not mean that you own the road. You DO NOT!! You are supposed to be the "professional", act like it. Be considerate in traffic. There are enough assholes on the road now....we do not need more.

Those are but a few "suggestions"..... 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker

If you want to be treated with respect....act and dress like you deserve it. Your "mere existence" does not, I repeat DOES NOT qualify you to receive any more respect than you appear to deserve. And frankly if you look like a walking "turd" and smell like one....you will be treated like one.
Well said Skywalker.

This cannot be emphasized enough. Remember, no matter who you drive for, you are the representative of your company, like them or not. No matter where you are at...in the yard, at the shipper or receiver, or on the fuel island, ACT like a professional, DRESS like a professional, BE a professional and you will be treated accordingly. Enough said.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT under any circumstances do any of the following!!

1. Park on the fuel island and go take a shower, go to Wendy's, Mickey D's, the BK lounge or go take a shower.....or bs with someone. Fuel and get your receipt....and leave, or park the $#@*& thing in a PARKING PLACE!!

2. When you park in a parking spot....center it up and do not straddle the line and take up two spots.

3. When you take a shower...get in there, take care of how many of the 3 S's you have to take care of and get your tired butt out. While your ego may tell you that you are god-like and special....you are not. Others are waiting.

4. Truckstops and rest areas are not $%#**&% nascar racetracks. Move slowly through them, lest you screw up and hit someone or something and ruin your day or even your life.

5. You are one of a couple of million...drivers...learn a little consideration and humility. Your ego doesn't count for squat. Be humble, and be polite, to everyone. It will help keep your blood pressure down. And who knows, you might find yourself being treated better by your fellow man.

6. If a sign says 55mph....don't exceed it. Do what signs say. If it says "All trucks use left lane"....do it. There is a reason.

7. If you want to hold a "lovefest" with your buddy on the cb, do it on another channel.....like "41". No-one on the planet wants to hear you babble and blather.

8. Act like a professional....not an FNG.

9. Act like an ADULT, and you will be treated like one.

10. If you are a "racist"....shut the %^^$#%^&&** UP!! and keep it to yourself. No-one gives a rats ^&&%%$$#$^Y&U what you think.

12. Just because you drive a large vehicle...this does not mean that you own the road. You DO NOT!! You are supposed to be the "professional", act like it. Be considerate in traffic. There are enough assholes on the road now....we do not need more.

Those are but a few "suggestions"..... 8)
Pretty much got everything.Only thing I could add is WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER YOU COME OUT OF THE BATHROOM.So many times I see drivers walk out of the stalls and head straight for the door.I usually keep my gloves on when im on duty anyways,but its amazing how simple hygiene is neglected.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Board Icon

DANG!!! Skywalker! You need to let it out now and then! I HATE to see you bottling it all up inside! :lol: :lol: :lol:

To the original poster...... first thing...... quit refering to any of us as "Super Truckers!" :roll:

As far as this board is concerned, it is ONLY a method of rating us by our number of POSTS! :shock: :roll:

There are NEWBIES (wet behind the ears, but worth our effort to help,) ROOKIES (lesss than 5 years.... myself included,) and EXPERIENCED Drivers (do I have to spell it out?)

You are NOT a "rookie driver" if you have YET to begin your career. That's just a fact. Right now, you're a wannabe, or a newbie at best. No big deal..... we love you guys! Just don't address us by our "label" as applies to our level of posting!

There are three types of drivers, Billy Big Riggers, Rookies, and Professionals. So.... let's start THERE, and start over. Now..... what was your question? And WHO were you addressing it to?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
DANG!!! Skywalker! You need to let it out now and then! I HATE to see you bottling it all up inside! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm, are you suggesting that maybe I should just tell y'all how I really feel?? 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo

To the original poster...... first thing...... quit refering to any of us as "Super Truckers!" :roll:

As far as this board is concerned, it is ONLY a method of rating us by our number of POSTS! :shock: :roll:

There are NEWBIES (wet behind the ears, but worth our effort to help,) ROOKIES (lesss than 5 years.... myself included,) and EXPERIENCED Drivers (do I have to spell it out?)

You are NOT a "rookie driver" if you have YET to begin your career. That's just a fact. Right now, you're a wannabe, or a newbie at best. No big deal..... we love you guys! Just don't address us by our "label" as applies to our level of posting!

There are three types of drivers, Billy Big Riggers, Rookies, and Professionals. So.... let's start THERE, and start over. Now..... what was your question? And WHO were you addressing it to?
I think you forgot The Steering Wheel Holder.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
I think you forgot The Steering Wheel Holder.
Ah yes..... you may be right! But then..... I WAS talking about DRIVERS, now wasn't I? :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.