User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Most of these tips that are being given here are just starting points. They can be adjusted to better fit your style of running, where you run, what your truck is governed at, etc. Once you get the hang of doing things you will be able to tailor your trip plans to fit you.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
GPS.
SUX!!

It cannot do what I suggested! It will ONLY give you the shortest route, and it doesn't CARE if it is through the city during rush hour!

A driver that relies SOLELY on GPS technology, doesn't know the FIRST thing about ROUTING, OR driving a truck! :roll:

But that is just MY "informed" opinion! :lol:

GPS systems ARE a valuable tool..... made for the WUSSES that pass for truck drivers these days! 8)

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
GPS.
SUX!!

It cannot do what I suggested! It will ONLY give you the shortest route, and it doesn't CARE if it is through the city during rush hour!

A driver that relies SOLELY on GPS technology, doesn't know the FIRST thing about ROUTING, OR driving a truck! :roll:

GPS systems ARE a valuable tool..... made for the WUSSES that pass for truck drivers these days! 8)
I can only conclude that anyone against GPS wants to perpetuate the trucking mystic. Trucking is an unskilled job. If you use GPS any low level moron can succeed. I am living proof of this. 8)
Old 11-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Except when you route it by the fastest route as opposed to the shortest, or you route it to avoid roads. :roll:

Quote:
Just because some of us choose to not use our atlas, doesn't mean we don't know how to. :roll:

Quote:
:roll:
Old 11-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
A driver that relies SOLELY on GPS technology, doesn't know the FIRST thing about ROUTING, OR driving a truck!
A driver that uses GPS is using one of the many tools that are available to drivers to make thier job less streesful and easier. When used as a tool and NOT relied on solely, then it is very helpful.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Board Regular

GPS is a good tool and if you have it use it. But it should be used along with the atlas. Use what ever tool you can and all the tools you can to make better planning. Times before GPS all a driver had was an atlas, road maps ect. But the more tools you have before you can not hurt but help, providing they are use correctly.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I rely solely on my Rand McNally. I may do a quick routing with mapquest just to quickly check the mileage. Most of the time I just go with the Rand McNally. The GPS systems are not completely accurate. It is rare that I can't navigate with my Rand McNally.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Except when you route it by the fastest route as opposed to the shortest, or you route it to avoid roads. :roll:
You're RIGHT, Rev! When you're right, you're right.... and I will say so!

Since I have no need to USE one, I neglected the fact that they do have options! And they "MAY" help. However, the problem with GPS systems are not limited to the "basic" route, but ALSO the exact destination. There are only 2 companies (that I know of) that provide destination location, and BOTH are wrong about 20% of the time! They get addresses mixed up, street names wrong (especially E. and W.) and will often route you to a place clear across town from where you want to be!

I will admit that it is a "tool" that CAN be used to SOME benefit. But, my opinion on it stands, as does my post concerning how to "effectively" plan a trip with CONFIDENCE.

TerryLamar posted a one word response (GPS) and I responded with a one word reply. I should have left it at that! :lol:

Even the option you mentioned of "quickest route," is not reliable! How do they know? Have they considered construction projects, number of lanes on the highway, etc.?

I have run MANY trips on GPS systems, and MOST of them can't differentiate between a COUNTY road and an interstate! My MCA CAN!!

The same problem prevails. Sometimes, the computer will suggest a "quicker" route using county roads, because they are STILL only a few miles shorter than a 4 lane! (if they have the same speed limit.)

There is still no substitute for looking at your atlas, and KNOWING something about roads, elevations, cities, and such things as population, timeframe, and crossroads.

From what I read on the current thread about GPS systems and software, I am STILL of the opinion that NEW drivers (especially) should NOT use them until they have a good handle on how to trip plan WITHOUT them.

Your objections are noted! :wink:

BTW..... if you say "don't use I-95, can you specify "between this exit and that one?" or will you get a 600 mile trip using U.S. 1 instead?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

You know Golfhobo, you could have shorten that post by just typing this:
Quote:
There is still no substitute for looking at your atlas, and KNOWING something about roads, elevations, cities, and such things as population, timeframe, and crossroads.
That says it all.
By the way, good post, just had to razz you little. :P

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
You're RIGHT, Rev! When you're right, you're right.... and I will say so!
You should say it more often, since I am always right.

Quote:
Since I have no need to USE one, I neglected the fact that they do have options! And they "MAY" help. However, the problem with GPS systems are not limited to the "basic" route, but ALSO the exact destination. There are only 2 companies (that I know of) that provide destination location, and BOTH are wrong about 20% of the time! They get addresses mixed up, street names wrong (especially E. and W.) and will often route you to a place clear across town from where you want to be!
My Rand McNally paper atlas is wrong 100% of the time, as it doesn't pinpoint exact directions, and only provides expanded maps for a few cities, and even those aren't necessarily complete.

Quote:
Even the option you mentioned of "quickest route," is not reliable! How do they know? Have they considered construction projects, number of lanes on the highway, etc.?
Has your paper atlas considered those things?

Quote:
I have run MANY trips on GPS systems, and MOST of them can't differentiate between a COUNTY road and an interstate! My MCA CAN!!
Then you must have been using an ancient GPS, as mine specifically shows the difference between an Interstate, US highway, State highway, County road, and local road. It even gets as specific as dirt roads.

Quote:
The same problem prevails. Sometimes, the computer will suggest a "quicker" route using county roads, because they are STILL only a few miles shorter than a 4 lane! (if they have the same speed limit.)
Which once again, is easily solved by telling your GPS to "avoid" certain roads. I do this from time to time to have it avoid toll roads.

Quote:
BTW..... if you say "don't use I-95, can you specify "between this exit and that one?" or will you get a 600 mile trip using U.S. 1 instead?
I can re-route any point of a trip if I so choose. In fact, if an exit is closed due to construction (something your paper atlas isn't going to tell you either), my GPS will automatically re-route me on the move.