User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I started to respond to this, but decided against it.

I thought it was obvious that I was NOT talking about Malakai, who I ASSUME had experinece in shifting, but rather, those who ENTERED the industry with the idea that they could AVOID dealing with shifting by just driving an autoshift and delivering their load for pay.

For those who think THIS way, my statement stands!

My own BROTHER, drives an autoshift, and has told me how much he enjoys the simplicity, and that he is just "driving the truck." I have heard as much from others on this board.

I will NOT change my opinion. MANY of those on this board, who have touted the advantages of the autoshift, have said that it makes it easier for their WIVES to do the job! I think this is LAZY and sexist!

But, it indicates to me, that those who can't DO the job, can GET the job because the autoshift does MOST of the work FOR them.

If you start with letting the tranny do the shifting, and then let the GPS give you the route..... YES..... You are no more than a robot that is "relocating" freight!

They could train a Monkey to do that!

What is LEFT..... is what I see on the road everyday! A "driver" with a cellphone glued to his ear, talking to his "wifey" back home when he SHOULD be keeping his truck in HIS LANE! (which he is NOT!)

Is that CLEAR enough for you REV???

A REAL trucker should at least know HOW to drive a manual shift truck, whether his company has them or not.... and he should know how to manually plan a trip, whether he has a GPS unit or not!

Right or wrong..... that is MY OPINION! And I have every right to my opinion!

Any newbie that gets into this job thinking they can get a truck that will shift FOR THEM, and a GPS that will plan their trips FOR THEM, and has no understanding nor intention of learning the trade, can stay AT HOME like the WUSSES they are!

Is that CLEAR??? DO you think it is necessary for YOU to clarify it for me, or anyone else?

If Malakai is a NEWBIE who fits that description.... then I guess I was including HIM! But, somehow.... I thought I wasn't!

BTW.... I thought I said the consensus of the BOARD..... not necessarily this thread! You REALLY should learn some English comprehension!

Just for you, Rev.... when I get time.... I will open a "survey says" thread/poll to find out how many on this BOARD think it is important to learn to SHIFT and TRIP PLAN without the help of "newfangled" devices!

Winner takes ALL..... and I truley MEAN that as it applies to the industry!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Well if you are going to be a real truckdriver then go all the way.

How about a TRD (5 over 2), TRT (5 over 3) , or TRQ (5 over 4) transmission?
How about no clutch break?
How about no A/C?
How about no power steering?
How about no air ride?
How about no spring breaks?
How about no Jake break?

I guess I could say you are a WUSS and should stay AT HOME if you can't drive a truck like those above.

I see the same thing about those that knock modern technology. Thank God technology has improved the life of a trucker and made it a little easier.

kc0iv
Old 11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Malakai wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm - how about US 40 coming west into Hopwood, PA? There are 2 or 3 mandatory brake checks - top speed is about 15mph (can't remember 100% - I haven't been on it for a couple of years).
Top speed is 10MPH coming down the hill. You were close. I have seen many smoke the breaks on that hill. Run that road from MD to Uniontown, PA, what fun that is, especially in winter.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Malakai wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm - how about US 40 coming west into Hopwood, PA? There are 2 or 3 mandatory brake checks - top speed is about 15mph (can't remember 100% - I haven't been on it for a couple of years).
Top speed is 10MPH coming down the hill. You were close. I have seen many smoke the breaks on that hill. Run that road from MD to Uniontown, PA, what fun that is, especially in winter.
My final day of truck school was coming down that beast. What a way to pass or fail :lol:
Old 11-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member

I wonder if GPS wasn't used to make the MCRA more accurate or even satallite imagery? Things that make you go ummmm.

My GPS is accurate to 17'
Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Board Icon

golfhobo (that rascal) said:

Quote:
If someone wants to work for a company who offers Autoshift trucks, more power TO them. They are not real truckers..... they are "freight relocators." And that is the direction our industry is heading in.
I want to apologize for this statement. It was unfair, and apparently hurtful. That was not really my intention, but I got a little carried away with the "debate."

It is true, as Malakai said, that there is MORE to trucking than just SHIFTING!

I don't like autoshifts (even in cars,) but I can certainly see how they would be easier if you drive local and spend alot of time in heavy traffic. Just because someone can't, or doesn't want to, shift a manual.... does not necessarily mean they can't be a good trucker.

I would never have even THOUGHT of the tag "freight relocator" if someone hadn't put it in his sigline. And, after all.... that IS what we are!

As IF anyone doesn't know.... I can be very opinionated! And I like a good debate! I'm NOT a BBR, but sometimes I play one on the Internet! :wink:

But, I really don't like saying spiteful things, or being hurtful. It bothers ME probably more than any of you! So.... again, I apologize!

And if anyone is wondering.... no, I wasn't "warned" by a MOD! This apology is offered of my own free will.

It wasn't my FIRST.... and may not be my LAST. :lol:

Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Board Icon

KayCee said:

Quote:
Well if you are going to be a real truckdriver then go all the way.

How about a TRD (5 over 2), TRT (5 over 3) , or TRQ (5 over 4) transmission?
No thanks. If I'm not mistaken, those are double sticks, and I think they are dangerous. What idiot designed a tranny that required two hands off the wheel? :roll:

Quote:
How about no clutch break?
Well... I rarely use it, so I suppose I could've learned to drive without one. Apparently YOU did!

Quote:
How about no A/C?
I drove vehicles without A/C for many years! My truck can't seem to find a level between HOT and COLD! If it weren't for the guy sleeping in the back, I'd shut it off!

Quote:
How about no power steering?
Done that, too! I can see it would be more difficult with today's LARGER trucks/trailers, but not a deal breaker!

Quote:
How about no air ride?
Wouldn't be as comfortable, but then I didn't expect that when I started trucking!

Quote:
How about no spring breaks?
What's a spring BREAK? :wink:

Quote:
How about no Jake break?
Assuming you mean BRAKE, My first few runs were down Tehachapi pass without one. I DO prefer them, but could have learned to drive without them. (Just not as FAST!) :lol:

Quote:
I guess I could say you are a WUSS and should stay AT HOME if you can't drive a truck like those above.
You can SAY whatever you WANT..... but you have no proof that I couldn't or wouldn't do JUST THAT! I'll admit that I was pleasantly surprised to find out that modern trucks WERE so comfortable.... but I made my decision to go trucking when I still thought they were all Big, Ugly, Dirty, and Hard to handle!

I also used to survey for oil in the Rockies. I might could SAY that if you couldn't climb a mountain with 40 lbs of gear on your back, and WALK 15 miles a day across a desert..... YOU might be a Wuss! But.... I didn't.

Quote:
I see the same thing about those that knock modern technology. Thank God technology has improved the life of a trucker and made it a little easier.
I can't argue with that! But, I draw the line at autoshifts and gps.... if they are ALL you know how to use as a trucker! But, that's just MY opinion. YOURS, of course, must be the RIGHT one! :roll: :wink:

Old 11-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Board Regular

I just wanted to add that I haven't used my MCA in over 10 months.... and my GPS has not steered me wrong yet. And with real time traffic updates it routes me around congested area's before I ever get to them.

It is also very handy in major cities, because instead of stopping in the middle of the road to look at the MCA I just keep driving while I get re-routed.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Board Regular

i have a truck friendly gps i go off that and add 2 hours id rather have to look for a place to park for an hour or so waiting for my appointment time than having to explain to everyone being late and some places will take u early it all depends on the customer