User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default cost of ticket for parking on the on ramp....

I was wondering what the cost of the ticket is for parking on the on-ramps is. Sometimes out in NE there is really no choice. Just wanted a heads up as to what might be waiting for me.. .

I hate to do it but maybe I should do that t/a idle air thing - it seems to be the only alternative.

Anyone know the cost of the ticket or a better choice out in NE like jersey, new york, philly, boston and such.

thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member

In VA... I think the parking ticket for parking on a ramp is about $65.00.

Don't really know....never got one cuz I don't park on ramps 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: cost of ticket for parking on the on ramp....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Road Warrior
I was wondering what the cost of the ticket is for parking on the on-ramps is. Sometimes out in NE there is really no choice. Just wanted a heads up as to what might be waiting for me.. .

I hate to do it but maybe I should do that t/a idle air thing - it seems to be the only alternative.

Anyone know the cost of the ticket or a better choice out in NE like jersey, new york, philly, boston and such.

thanks
I got one for $150.00 in upstate NY. Was held up big-time at a receiver and then booted off the lot by security when empty. No place to park, and what passed for a "truckstop" in those parts was filled to the brim. Had 1/2 hour before my 14 was up and didn't want to risk getting a fine or worse, having a drunk plow into me and then sued for everything. So I parked on a ramp. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK...female trooper wakes me up. I explained to her the situation and she said that she understood but she still had to write me a ticket.

The thing is, no amount of trip-planning can help you in some cases. You just have to roll the dice: risk getting fined going over hours or fined for being illegally parked. Pick your poison. Now that I'm local, I just park the truck at the terminal and sleep in my bed everynight.

Indiana passed a law making it a $500.00 fine if parked on a ramp. Other states are ratcheting up fines due to several high-profile accidents involving trucks parked on ramps.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Default Re: cost of ticket for parking on the on ramp....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Road Warrior

thanks
I got one for $150.00 in upstate NY. Was held up big-time at a receiver and then booted off the lot by security when empty. No place to park, and what passed for a "truckstop" in those parts was filled to the brim. Had 1/2 hour before my 14 was up and didn't want to risk getting a fine or worse, having a drunk plow into me and then sued for everything. So I parked on a ramp. KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK...female trooper wakes me up. I explained to her the situation and she said that she understood but she still had to write me a ticket.

The thing is, no amount of trip-planning can help you in some cases. You just have to roll the dice: risk getting fined going over hours or fined for being illegally parked. Pick your poison. Now that I'm local, I just park the truck at the terminal and sleep in my bed everynight.

Indiana passed a law making it a $500.00 fine if parked on a ramp. Other states are ratcheting up fines due to several high-profile accidents involving trucks parked on ramps.

For once i have to agree with Cold Frosty, sometimes there is just no amount of trip planning that can prevent situations like that from happening. I have on more than one occasion parked on the re-entry side of a ramp. I always tried to do that so I would not be on the exit side with people flying up at speed and taking a chance on getting hit. Not always the best place to park but sometimes ya gotta do it. Never got a ticket for it but I do know that is something that is cracked down on harder every year.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, I too, must agree with CFM. (amazingly enough :P ) Try as you may, sometimes you have to. I have gotten ticketed once, in Tennessee, $182.50.

Trooper said he understood and even told me that if it becomes necessary again, just leave before 5a.m.. He said, that's when they start ticketing for it. Sure enough, it was 5:15a.m. when he got me. :wink:
Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 AM

thanks everyone, I really try to avoid it but sometimes....esp NE, well it seems there's just no choice. sometimes i even try to stop almost 2 hours 'til my time's up.....oh well - just a part of the deal i guess.....
Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 AM
Rookie

I paid $129.00 in Yorktown, Indiana in 2005.

I probably would have been OK if I had left before daylight.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 PM

slightly off topic

if a dot officer wanted to be a pain. ... he could just wait till any of these ramp-parkers move

they definitely did not do ten hours........which is why i rarely park on ramps, but if i do, its the get-on side
Old 10-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

I've never gotten a ticket for it- I just really think the officer has to be a jerk to write a ticket for it. I know they do it though. I try not to park on ramps, but sometimes...

I can't stand it when drivers say that if you'd planned your trip better, you would be able to find parking. Ugh- get over yourself!

Up in NJ, you're pretty well screwed unless you know you can park at your shipper/receiver. Vince Lombardi gets really, really full, but that's where we usually plan to park.

Going up into New England, you can usually park at the Connecticut scale on I 95 if they aren't doing inspections. They don't usually close the gate and we've never been bothered there.

I just ran down I 95/rt 128 to 93 north to 24 south to 495 south to 25 to head over onto Cape Cod and there must have been 20 parking areas along the way (all south of I 90)- none of them too big but put together, there was a lot of available parking!

I 95 exit 40 in Milford, CT, Pilot and Secondi's truck stop- good luck finding a spot, though...
Old 10-27-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety bird
I 95 exit 40 in Milford, CT, Pilot and Secondi's truck stop- good luck finding a spot, though...
How bout' that T/A off the 56 yardstick in New Haven? Man, what a dump! Used to think I was Clark Gable in "Run Silent, Run Deep" navigating his WWII sub through all the pot holes there.