User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm Tired.

I've answered this type of question on this board how many times now???

:? :roll:
Old 10-24-2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Ya, O.K. yep, all trucks shift the same... :roll: Grind em till ya find em :lol:
Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Rookie
Default Re: shifting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHunter
Im sure if I get a bite in my job search, I will have to take a road test for a company. All I have ever driven is a 9 speed. Do all trucks shift and downshift about the same RPMs? A and B trucks?

LOL, Go with US Express they all have Automatic Tranmission. Matter of fact a recruiter just came to our school. And he made a joke about you dont ever have to worry about grindin or missing gears on the road test. lol cause you in a automatic tranmission and if you do you dont need to be on the road.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

For the most part... shift points for most big engines will be close. However, if you drive a truck like ours...with the Cummins ISM's, the shift points and downshifting rpms are a little bit higher than with a big Cat, Detroit or Cummins ISX.

In my opinion....when driving a truck for the first time...you need to pop the rpm up a ways (don't floor it)...and feel for the slot. Every truck and transmission has its quirks...almost like a personality. It also depends on who broke it in, and at what rpm range they tended to work it at.

One way to find the slot is to use the clutch, pop the rpm up and control it with the fuel pedal and gently ease it to the gear...if there is resistance let the rpm drop or bump it alittle higher and find the point where it slips in. Note the rpm where it falls in. Don't do this in heavy traffic though.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.