User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleypiper
Good Gawd Doug, I hope that isn't a 40 hr. work week. Unemployment pays better.

I'm in school now the state is picking up the tab for 5 of the guys and paying them unemployment. One dude is being sent from Rehab. Can you believe it "Rehab" How does that happen. Get a cdl license on Rehab. Doesn't that mean some sort of alchol or drug abuse. I guess us working fools who stay clean aren't so lucky.
No it doesn't mean drug or juice. Some people qualify for what is called Vocational Rehab. I don't know the requirements but I have seen people get there 4 year college degree just for being bi-polar. There are different diagnosis's that qualify but I don't know all of them. Alcohol and drug abuse are one of them but I don't think it would be easy to get a job even with a CDL if that were the reason.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleypiper
Good Gawd Doug, I hope that isn't a 40 hr. work week. Unemployment pays better.

I'm in school now the state is picking up the tab for 5 of the guys and paying them unemployment. One dude is being sent from Rehab. Can you believe it "Rehab" How does that happen. Get a cdl license on Rehab. Doesn't that mean some sort of alchol or drug abuse. I guess us working fools who stay clean aren't so lucky.
OK, I wasn't going to bring it up because it makes my blood boil and I can very easily go insane and write something that will get me permanently banned from this board, but I will try to remain calm.

I spoke with the unemployment commission today after filing on Monday. I will be out of work for 4 weeks and cannot collect unemployment 1st week out of a job so I am asking for 3 weeks worth while I am in school. The 'lady' on the phone said that since I am in school I am not making myself available for work and the review board will have to decide on my claim.

2nd item: most of my class (community college driver school) is getting their tuition paid for and unemployment or some other assistance for living expenses while in the school. These people are convicted felons on parole, multiple DUI havers, so many points on their DMV they are about to have their bicycles taken away from them. The will not be able to get jobs when (if) they finish the course and get a CDL.

Why can't a heterosexual, white male without a substance abuse problem qualify for a dime of federal or state help money?

There, I said it and I am not sorry.
But I do apologize for hijacking your post.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Board Regular

You said whan many want to say JayB. I feel exactaly what your talking about. This dude can't leave the state without telling his probation officer. So I'm thinking Bipolar is not an option. These guys were talking about it today, they were getting together on what to tell unemployment ie: should they tell them that they are available or unavailable to work. One thing I noticed, they go out to lunch everyday, I bring mine, they ALL smoke and to the tune of $5.00/pak plus, ea. one has a back up. But anyway, sorry Doug, taking this post to another level.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
I'm a local/short haul driver and I usually average $1000-$1400 NET and gross $800-$1200 or so. It varies week to week, but I do have a $900 gross guarantee! So I can base my life on that and anything more is NICE, haha! But as for OTR.... NOT ME! I've got a wife and 3 small kids.... and theres no way in hell I'm spendin days/weeks in a truck like a circus animal for peanuts!!! At the very least I'd consider a dedicated or regional route.... but I'd pull atleast $.40 a mile or NO GO!!! But thats just me! When I was job hunting I had multifarious offers... but needed a local gig. I'd recommend you toss around your options and think them through..... 8)
Net pay is what you take home..... gross pay is BEFORE taxes and deductions.... :arrow:
Old 10-04-2007, 05:55 AM
Senior Board Member

He has a really creative accountant.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker_Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
I'm a local/short haul driver and I usually average $1000-$1400 NET and gross $800-$1200 or so. It varies week to week, but I do have a $900 gross guarantee! So I can base my life on that and anything more is NICE, haha! But as for OTR.... NOT ME! I've got a wife and 3 small kids.... and theres no way in hell I'm spendin days/weeks in a truck like a circus animal for peanuts!!! At the very least I'd consider a dedicated or regional route.... but I'd pull atleast $.40 a mile or NO GO!!! But thats just me! When I was job hunting I had multifarious offers... but needed a local gig. I'd recommend you toss around your options and think them through..... 8)
Net pay is what you take home..... gross pay is BEFORE taxes and deductions.... :arrow:
Haha, ouch.... a SERIOUS typo on my part, thanks! I knew that and actually said it right, but tyed it wrong??? Something didn't trigger between the brain and fingers...