User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What makes a good driver...specifically....I want to be one.

Seriously, I was wondering what specifically makes a driver a good driver. I really enjoy driving and want to be a good and safe driver. What are some things that can be done/ should be done.

The obvious ones are stay in lane even during turns, good downshifts, backing in 1 or 2 shots, hugging the right line when driving, being quick at fuel stops and holding anyone up, are there other things?

thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Don't speed! It seems simple enough, but it's amazing how many drivers have serious issues with tickets. And usually those same drivers with multiple tickets have accidents too.

Just slow down, don't get rushed by your dispatcher and you'll do fine.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Rookie
Default hey

pay attention, dont hurry and dont worry about the traffic behind you, find a safe cruise speed which for me is about 60 and i keep it there a good employer will never push yah and when one does find another damn job cuz it isnt worth killin someone or yourself for that matter over an assanine employer, good luck and be safe driver.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: What makes a good driver...specifically....I want to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Road Warrior
The obvious ones are stay in lane even during turns, good downshifts, backing in 1 or 2 shots, hugging the right line when driving, being quick at fuel stops and holding anyone up, are there other things?

thanks
Other than your first two, the rest are not really marks of a good driver. It is more showmanship than professionalism, and the hugging the right side WILL get you in trouble, as in you are asking for an accident.

As far as vehicle control goes:

Stay centered in your lane on straight aways.
Stay in your lane during curves and learning how to take a curve.
Speed control.
Maintain proper following distance.
Drive as if you have an unsecured load in/on your trailer.

And for the rest of it:

Respect your limitations. Do not allow yourself to be "bullied" by dispatcher or other drivers into doing things you can not do or are not comfortable doing.

Learn to listen to your truck. It will tell you many things if you really listen to it.

Be courteous to other drivers, regardless if they are in a 4wheeler or big truck. This means: Moving over for vehicles on the side of the road if possible and slowing down if not, not using your brights to single it is Ok for a truck to come back over. Flip your lights off and on instead. Move over to allow a vehicle to enter the roadway if possible and legal to do so. Also when you park be centered in your space and remember to turn off your headlights.

Do not park on the fuel island. It is fine to use the restroom and grab a drink when you are done fueling, but if you need to do more then find a parking space. If that is all you need to do and do not need to fuel, it is OK to park on the fuel island, but pull through and stop in front of the pumps. Also be sure to pull up when you are done fueling, if possible.

Treat everyone like you want to be treated no matter how aggravated you may get. Talk through a problem, don't yell through it.

Do not be afraid to ask for help.

Learn and use good communication skills.

Keep your dispatcher updated and how things are going. Alert him/her if a problem arises or looks likely to arise as soon as possible.

When moving through a truck stop or rest area parking lot at night turn on all your lights and do so before you start moving. If you only have your parking lights on you may not see someone walking and those walking may not realize you are about to start moving.

When backing use GOAL (Get Out And Look). A true proffesional does not care if he can put the trailer in the hole with 1 attempt or 10 attempts. He cares only that he puts the trailer in the hole properly and without damage to anything.

Never discuss what you have in your trailer or where you are specifically going. It is usually fine to say you have a load going to Chicago or something like that, don't say you have a load of Apple Computers going to Circuit City or anything of that nature.

Keep the inside of your truck clean, neat, organized at all times. Wash the outside of your truck as often as your company will allow you to. Never allow clutter to accumulate on your dash. Clean your windows (outside) and mirrors at least twice a day, more if needed. Inside windows should be cleaned at least twice per week. Clean glass reduces eye strain and fatigue. Also do not forget to keep the lights on your truck and trailer clean.

Keep all your paperwork neat and legible. This includes your logs and trip sheets.

DO your vehicle inspections and get problems fixed. Do not leave them for some one else.

Plan your trips. Trip planning includes, routes, fuel stops, locations for breaks. While you generally want to keep the left door shut and keep moving you also should stop every 2-4 hours and take at least a 15 minute break where you get out of the truck and walk around.

Take the time to properly secure your load. Some loads may not need extra securement, but others will.

Finally a good driver has only one real priority, and that is to do everything the safest way possible each and every time. Everything else is secondary. If something is not safe to do then do not do it.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Rookie

Tow the company line!!! follow your training and run legal. If you have any talent for driving the "good driver" thing will come in time just like it did with your 4 wheeler. And learn to read the mind of people driving 4 wheelers, most are not to smart and you will find it much easier in time.

Miloh.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Board Member

I think the underlying theme is ........patience
Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm training right now and one of my instructors who is really good emphasizes scanning left to right. Start looking ahead, left mirror, check gages, scan to right mirrors, back to straight ahead. He said make this a habit and you will be doing it 3 to 4 times per minute.

A constant awareness of what is going on around you is key to preventing accidents, even if it is not your fault. Have a gameplan. Look for outs that you have available to you for certain scenarios.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
I'm training right now and one of my instructors who is really good emphasizes scanning left to right. Start looking ahead, left mirror, check gages, scan to right mirrors, back to straight ahead. He said make this a habit and you will be doing it 3 to 4 times per minute.

A constant awareness of what is going on around you is key to preventing accidents, even if it is not your fault. Have a gameplan. Look for outs that you have available to you for certain scenarios.
It's been several years since I drove and I still do the scan thing. Drivers side mirror, gages center mirror passenger mirror and all the gages as I go across, then back around and back around constantly while driving. I Do the same on my bikes and the tractor when I brush hog the fields. Good Habit you'll never get over as will be the constant use of your blinker. You will also learn how to see things you don't look at. I know it sounds weard but you will find people riding with you that point out danger, And you will have seen it before they do. Most of the time if you see to other person you will know what their going to do. Takes "time, BUT NEVER TAKE FOR GRANTED YOU ARE WRIGHT" even tho you know you are. cause when you least expect it.

Also beware Motorcycles on two line roads when approaching from the other direction. They are taught to hold their line close to the yellow as the oncoming truck will fade to the shoilder out of caution. It's a natural thing to do but don't run off the road, They practice this a lot and will most likely not run under your truck.

All I can think right now but I'm sure there are a lot of things I have forgotten.

Miloh
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Being respectful of others. You will get further if you are polite and respectful of shippers, receivers, your dispatcher and other drivers. Try to keep yourself neat. Shippers always appreciate someone who looks neat and doesn't smell as though they haven't had a bath in 6 weeks. Take your time. As winter nears, weather conditions can make travel difficult, at times. No load is worth risking your life or that of others. Snow and icy conditions can create dangerous road conditions. Never risk your life to deliver a load. It is better to deliver late than not get there at all.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Rookie
Default Speaking of winter

Anybodyever have to shovle snow and ice off their trailor to keep from breaking out on the freight sales?

Miloh.