User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Everybodies posts are excellent, all I can do is add a couple items.

How bout appearance and hygiene. Wear appropriate clothing, especially when at customers, and in public. Shower once a day if at all possible. Keep "baby" wipes handy for the days when you may need an in cab bath. Keep yourself well groomed. Need examples, just walk around a truckstop and you will find all kinds of examples good and bad on what your appearance/hygiene should be. (or not)
Dispose of your trash in the appropriate places.

Too many drivers are 100% slobs, keep yourself need, tidy and organized. Show respect for yourself at all times, especially in the public eye
Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Board Icon

I was gonna say ALL those things, but I got here too late! Glad y'all could read my mind! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, not much left to add but....

Stay off the dang cellphone when driving!!! Not only does it make you weave all over the road, but it also makes you slow down, usually boxing in the driver behind you. Not to mention that cars will be flying all around you and you won't even have a CLUE what is or might be happening!

For some reason, most trucks do not have 'self-cancelling' blinkers. Pay attention to what SIGNAL you are sending to others! They MAY just take you at your "word" and pull right into your path.

When opening doors or sliding tandems or other little tasks we do, do it with some sense of 'urgency.' I don't mean to say RUSH and be unsafe.... but just don't DAWDLE like everyone there has ALL day to wait on YOU! Just get out and get 'er done! People will have patience IF you don't abuse it!

And by ALL means.... if you can only do ONE mph faster than the truck you've been following for the past 15 miles, do NOT pull out to pass him just because you see a faster truck overtaking you! He'll be gone in a flash, and it won't HURT you to back off a bit if necessary!

But, of ALL that was said here, IMHO, the most important one is to check your mirrors regularly and make it your JOB to know or predict what EVERY vehicle on the road around you is about to do... or MIGHT do.

Safety begins with AWARENESS!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
I'm training right now and one of my instructors who is really good emphasizes scanning left to right. Start looking ahead, left mirror, check gages, scan to right mirrors, back to straight ahead. He said make this a habit and you will be doing it 3 to 4 times per minute.

A constant awareness of what is going on around you is key to preventing accidents, even if it is not your fault. Have a gameplan. Look for outs that you have available to you for certain scenarios.
I have been in the aquatic profession for 30 years. That scanning sounds a lot like what we teach lifeguards. Every 10 seconds scan left to right out and back and top to bottom. I didn't think there would be many similarities between these two fields. Great thread and thanks for the responses. I start school in one week.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsyrob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
I'm training right now and one of my instructors who is really good emphasizes scanning left to right. Start looking ahead, left mirror, check gages, scan to right mirrors, back to straight ahead. He said make this a habit and you will be doing it 3 to 4 times per minute.

A constant awareness of what is going on around you is key to preventing accidents, even if it is not your fault. Have a gameplan. Look for outs that you have available to you for certain scenarios.
I have been in the aquatic profession for 30 years. That scanning sounds a lot like what we teach lifeguards. Every 10 seconds scan left to right out and back and top to bottom. I didn't think there would be many similarities between these two fields. Great thread and thanks for the responses. I start school in one week.
Ah.... but there IS!! As a "PROFESSIONAL" driver, you are responsible for the safety of everyone around you! These 4wheelers are like little kids! They need CONSTANT watching.... most of them are poorly trained....prone to take risks..... and one momentary distraction on YOUR part, can get someone KILLED! Getting a LOAD somewhere on time is the easy part IF you are not caught up in an accident!

Also.... you will be the best at what YOU do, if you remain in good physical condition, KNOW your rules and procedures, and take PRIDE in what you are doing. Being a "Professional" swimmer vs a casual one, is absolutely the same thing!

And..... every ONCE in awhile a Pamela Anderson type will swim by and drop her top! :lol: :lol:

Best of luck to you! Someone with YOUR dedication and concern for others can ONLY be an asset to our industry! Keep us posted!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Senior Board Member

The scanning is more than left and right. It is also front and back. In addition you need to be aware of your clearances on all 6 sides of your vehicle.

YES>>>>>YOU DO HAVE 6 SIDES TO WORRY ABOUT.

Front, Back, Left, Right, Top, Bottom.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
For some reason, most trucks do not have 'self-cancelling' blinkers. Pay attention to what SIGNAL you are sending to others! They MAY just take you at your "word" and pull right into your path.
I am still trying to get used to that. :roll: When I first started getting out there I would leave that damn thing on for 2 blocks and I still have to constantly remind myself to turn the damn thing off! You're right about paying attention to the signals we send others. It is important that we communicate our intentions and presence to those on the road.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

golfhobo wrote:
Quote:

Colts Fan wrote:
Quote:
I am still trying to get used to that. When I first started getting out there I would leave that damn thing on for 2 blocks and I still have to constantly remind myself to turn the damn thing off!
Sorry guys, this one is to obvious: The reason you do not want self canceling turn signals is because our turns require to much back and forth steering wheel action as you adjust for the width of your turns, especially in city driving. If they self cancelled they would be canceling before you finished the turn.
I have hard time letting my 4wheelers signal stalk alone, after a turn in the 4wheeler Im wanting to cancel my self.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Being a good driver is pretty simple: be aware of everything and everyone around you, be aware of your rig and what you're carrying, expect the unexpected, and drive defensively. On the other hand, if you're talking about trying to become a Billy Big-Rigger... well, maybe check out the bullracks and rock buckets and try to emulate them. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Senior Board Member

take what was said here and remember there is always room for improvement. Always try and improve on that back, always try and improve on lane control, etc.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Here's one thing for sure....if you drive for "Swift" or any other carrier that puts "fog lights" on the tractors....DO NOT TURN THEM ON AND LEAVE THEM ON....."UNLESS YOU ARE DRIVING IN FOG". So many flaming :dung: headed ya-hoos are running around all the damn time with them on....when they are not needed, and whats worse, is the blasted things are aimed higher than they are supposed to.

I had some jackass pass me last night with them on....aimed too high, screwed up my "night vision"....the sucker was lucky I don't have a "spotlight" on my tractor :evil: :evil: :evil: Yeah, I got passed by a Swift truck....he was speeding in a 55 zone. I wasn't. Construction zone to boot.

Thats another thing...."speeding in a construction zone". Folks you may get lucky and not get nailed.....but when they get you... :P :P Its double the $$ and double the points!! If you want to be a "professional"...read and pay attention to the signs. If the sign says "ALL TRUCKS USE LEFT LANE" or "ALL TRUCKS USE RIGHT LANE"....DO IT!!

Not that long ago, on I-75 down near Sarasota, FL they were doing some overpass reconstruction on a bridge section....the sign in black and white said "ALL TRUCKS USE LEFT LANE".....it was literally amazing how many "idiots" stayed in the right lane....so they put some FHP Troopers out there. Nailed a bunch of them....at $350.00 a pop..for "Failure to obey a traffic device". Don't know how many points....but it was all the talk on the CB....took a couple of days but the idiots caught on.

Read the signs, obey them....and leave the blasted fog lights off!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.