User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well i`m starting over at 45yrs old and i mean over! And i moved back to Mississippi with the same company and making less money and being a salary + com Propane local home deliverys and in the winter it is 24/7 on call!!!!Local ain`t all its cracked up to be, if your are at the Chirstmas Table and someone is beating on your door wanting propane or the phone rings four times a hour!{Mr Propane Man i ain`t got no money and its Christmas and i got a new born and its cold}and thats every call i have new borns that are 5 years old now!!!And i don`t mean to sound heart less but its just i`m sick of it!!!Plus all the schools and rules after 9/11 have gotting really rough and tough on us!So yeah guess i`m crazy but i have been driving a 3200 gallon bomb around from arkansas to mississippi for five years!!! :lol:
Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Board Icon

Hoperss: 2000+ miles a week @ .35 to start is not too bad. Add the $75 for unloading (how many times a week?) and take the "per diem" option, if you can, will NET you around $700/wk YEAR ROUND! Maybe more, unless you have high insurance costs!

Beats the Heck out of "seasonal work" and all the problems you mentioned!

IF you get this opportunity to go OTR, with what they consider NO EXPERIENCE..... I'd TAKE it! Nothing is carved in stone! You can always quit if you decide you are NOT the Mustang type! :lol:

WE can't make the decision FOR you. Heck, you didn't even tell us your marital status! :roll:

I'm sorry if I went OFF and hijacked your thread! I just "felt" the FORCE in you, and wanted to encourage you to set yourself FREE!! :lol:

YOU must decide if you are more of the Mustang or the Plow Horse! And DO NOT try to be something you are NOT! Best of luck in your decision.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Rookie

Oh i`m going for it i really think i will enjoy the job.And i just got married for the second time in June and she is ok with it plus she owns her own business and its up and down!The first was 20 years of He$$!And the insurance were i`m at now to add her is $350.00 a month we can`t do that and the job i`m starting is a whole lot cheaper than that a month.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:
Post subject: Starting back OTR after 20 yrs of local
With all the OTR guys on here that are fed up and trying to find local work instead, this seems a bit unusual. :?:
NOT TO ME!!! The man sounds BORED out of his mind.... which is the way I picture MOST local jobs!

Also, and not meaning to be contrary, but there are actually very FEW real OTR drivers on this board who are tired of it and would switch!

MOST of the posts about wanting to find local jobs come from NEWBIES, who want to make the money in truckdriving, but don't ever want to leave home in the first place!

All fine and good, but they are a different breed. Their GOD, of course, is Cold Frosty Mug. :lol: :lol:

But, I believe I can count on ONE hand the number of OTR drivers here who have actually opted for a local gig. Whereas, maybe 60% or more of newbies have SAID they will "pay their dues" OTR, and then want to know if they can go local. They are NOT real OTR drivers. (Again... no harm, no foul.)

A longhaul driver, as you probably KNOW, has the open road on his mind and a bit of "lonesome" in his SOUL! We want to see "lubbock in our rear view mirror" and California sunshine on the morrow! We would rather sleep under a blanket of STARS than a blanket of polyester!

Do not confuse the Mustang with the plow horse! EACH has his calling and virtue. But, there is a world of difference between us. With a few exceptions, one drives a truck to live.... and the other lives to drive a truck.

I apologize if my "characterizations" offend anyone. I don't MEAN to. The great cities of the West were settled by "pioneers" who took chances on the way, but "settled" the cities nonetheless. The trade routes were traveled though, by the Teamsters!

We are the wolves to the canines, the eagle to the fowl. Indeed, the mustang to the equine. We cannot be chained or domesticated. And we would HAVE it no other way!

We are misfits and miscreants and we offer no apology for it. Some might say we "have no life." But I say..... this IS my life!

I've BEEN "chained" and I don't LIKE it! I've punched a clock, and I DETEST it! I've been cubicled til I was manic! And I will NEVER go back to it!

I'm as FREE as I can be.... and paid well to do it! I have the BEST of all worlds, and am LUCKY enough to know it!

I cannot SEE me ever wanting to go local, but hey, "never say never." For those who DO, again.... no disrespect intended! Your LIFE is THERE..... but MINE is Over The Road!

Well... gotta GO! Kick the tires, light the fires.... and we're OFF to the great Northwest!
No offense taken, Hobo.

We all have our preferences.

Splitshifter; Proud to be a "plowhorse" :lol:
Old 10-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:
Post subject: Starting back OTR after 20 yrs of local
With all the OTR guys on here that are fed up and trying to find local work instead, this seems a bit unusual. :?:
NOT TO ME!!! The man sounds BORED out of his mind.... which is the way I picture MOST local jobs!

Also, and not meaning to be contrary, but there are actually very FEW real OTR drivers on this board who are tired of it and would switch!

MOST of the posts about wanting to find local jobs come from NEWBIES, who want to make the money in truckdriving, but don't ever want to leave home in the first place!

All fine and good, but they are a different breed. Their GOD, of course, is Cold Frosty Mug. :lol: :lol:

But, I believe I can count on ONE hand the number of OTR drivers here who have actually opted for a local gig. Whereas, maybe 60% or more of newbies have SAID they will "pay their dues" OTR, and then want to know if they can go local. They are NOT real OTR drivers. (Again... no harm, no foul.)

A longhaul driver, as you probably KNOW, has the open road on his mind and a bit of "lonesome" in his SOUL! We want to see "lubbock in our rear view mirror" and California sunshine on the morrow! We would rather sleep under a blanket of STARS than a blanket of polyester!

Do not confuse the Mustang with the plow horse! EACH has his calling and virtue. But, there is a world of difference between us. With a few exceptions, one drives a truck to live.... and the other lives to drive a truck.

I apologize if my "characterizations" offend anyone. I don't MEAN to. The great cities of the West were settled by "pioneers" who took chances on the way, but "settled" the cities nonetheless. The trade routes were traveled though, by the Teamsters!

We are the wolves to the canines, the eagle to the fowl. Indeed, the mustang to the equine. We cannot be chained or domesticated. And we would HAVE it no other way!

We are misfits and miscreants and we offer no apology for it. Some might say we "have no life." But I say..... this IS my life!

I've BEEN "chained" and I don't LIKE it! I've punched a clock, and I DETEST it! I've been cubicled til I was manic! And I will NEVER go back to it!

I'm as FREE as I can be.... and paid well to do it! I have the BEST of all worlds, and am LUCKY enough to know it!

I cannot SEE me ever wanting to go local, but hey, "never say never." For those who DO, again.... no disrespect intended! Your LIFE is THERE..... but MINE is Over The Road!

Well... gotta GO! Kick the tires, light the fires.... and we're OFF to the great Northwest!
The Mustang to the plow horse, the Wolf to the Canine, the Eagle to the Fowl.... Yah you might be a little too romantic to run local with the Teamsters...hehehe.

"Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?

Lawrence: No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man. "
Old 10-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Local sucks. It wouldn't matter if I made twice as much money as I do now working for a union company. I hate being in a small day cab and seeing the same stuff over and over and over and over and over... You get the idea. I gain NOTHING from being home every night except that I spend a lot more money being home. When I was OTR all I spent money on was food. I am counting down the days until I can come back out there on the road. I can't wait.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:23 AM

I did the OTR then onto local thing.... I'm currently getting back on the OTR train with my previous co. and let me tell ya I CAN'T WAIT. I drove a fuel tanker doing gas stations and farms and it SUCKED, 12 to 14 hr days, sweat'n my butt off and gettin dirty in the farm fields, only to get home and be to tired to do anything but go to bed... I made less money for the time I working... I retired from the Navy almost 2 years ago and I prefer to be on the road with no boss hanging over me or having to supervise a bunch of fools...

You can have your local jobs...
Old 10-07-2007, 09:36 PM

I will make around $55,000 this year with my local company picking up and hauling raw milk, and Im still at only %90 of regular pay. I went local after 15 months OTR. I didnt get into trucking for the pretty scenery or to live in a box. Im here to earn some serious money and get great insurance. I realize everyone is different. I am writing this from my home computer, with my warm cat by my feet, with my warm wife making me breakfest. I have gained muscle mass as a local driver because I have to load and unload equipment at every stop...you see...I actually like exercise and Im getting paid hourly to do it.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict77
I will make around $75,000 this year with my local company picking up and hauling raw milk, and Im still at only %90 of regular pay. I went local after 15 months OTR. I didnt get into trucking for the pretty scenery or to live in a box. Im here to earn some serious money and get great insurance. I realize everyone is different. I am writing this from my home computer, with my warm cat by my feet, with my warm wife making me breakfest. I have gained muscle mass as a local driver because I have to load and unload equipment at every stop...you see...I actually like exercise and Im getting paid hourly to do it.
75k haulin milk whats your hourly pay. somethin sounds shady to me????

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict77
I will make around $75,000 this year with my local company picking up and hauling raw milk, and Im still at only %90 of regular pay. I went local after 15 months OTR. I didnt get into trucking for the pretty scenery or to live in a box. Im here to earn some serious money and get great insurance. I realize everyone is different. I am writing this from my home computer, with my warm cat by my feet, with my warm wife making me breakfest. I have gained muscle mass as a local driver because I have to load and unload equipment at every stop...you see...I actually like exercise and Im getting paid hourly to do it.
75k haulin milk whats your hourly pay. somethin sounds shady to me????
Im actually hauling crystal meth in my tires which accounts for the discrepancy ;-) Nothin shady Mac, but I was errant in my math. Ill be pulling down about $55,000 this year. I make $15.00 regular time and time and a half for everything over forty hours. We usually run between 60-70 hours weekly. We have a few raises coming as per the union contract, and soon Ill be at %100 of regular pay.