User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
I've seen a number of truck stops, including TA's and Petro's where trucks not using the service were parked in the stalls
I see it too, even pulled into their stalls during slow periods at the T/S, just to run in for a shower. But to take a full break in one and not use the service or use it for only an hour or two, then cut it off, Id bet most of the time the attendant would come a running to get you to buy their service. If he didnt then he is an attendant who really doesnt care.

Quote:
But then again...I spend less time in truckstops than anywhere else to sleep....
Im getting more to that point also, I run a dedicated account and more often than not I only use the T/S for a full break everyother day or so. I much prefer spending my breaks at the customers.

Quote:
While I am essentially in complete agreement with you.... I know that there are companies not installing the APU's because the asshole treehuggers in some states are pushing to get the APU's covered under the same rules as engines vis a vis No Idling laws. SO the companies are looking at the APU's as a bad investment or are just cheap and don't want to admit it.
Idleaire's main goal is to make $$$, and from what I understand they are doing a really bad job at making any money. Idleaire cannot be everywhere, covering everyplace a truck may be parked for an extended period. But an APU can be. I also believe if the industry started adapting more APU's, especially if they are installed on the truck from the manufacturer, the price on the APU's would drop considerably. Financing an APU into the cost a new truck wouldnt change the payments very much. Also, advancements in APU technology could make them more Treehugger friendly. Lawn mower engines probably pollute at least as much as an APU.

Quote:
I tend to disagree.... I think you will see more of this type of installation, and quite possibly other companies coming on line. There is a significant push to push down fuel consumption and waste due to prices, and also to lower emissions....and neither issues are going to fade away.
Idleaire is so far in the Red, Ive heard they may be trying to go Public, In a desperate means of trying to recover the investors loses before they go bellyup. But this is unconfirmed. But I do know their loses are huge, and when I pull into T/S and see less than half the Idleaires in use and not all of these are actually "Plugged in" and all the "free" spaces are pretty much full. This tells me alot about Idleaires future.

Quote:
But I do wish we had APU's with the A/C and heat units..... I hate idling
I agree 100%, and Id really love to have an APU when I overnight at my customers when there is a residental area backed right up to the receiving area of my stores. I usually have to drive around and find the best place where I wont distrub them for the couple hours I may be idling. Im not always Idling for HVAC, it may be a very nice night and not need HVAC at all, but I may be just idling for a couple hours for the use of "hotel" power, (run computer, watch TV etc....)