User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Friends of mine (Husband and Wife Team) just got a job hauling a souveneer trailer from Nascar race to Nascar race. They have been driving Team for 5 years and stopped for the weekend at a race and got to talking to the head of the souveneer trailers for Chase Authenics and got hired.

They set the trailer and go to the motel everynight. They have to work in the trailer everyday on race weekend.

Not bad money either, around 65K and they get end of Nov till Fed off.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Driving school, day 3 (or, when can I go forward?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B
Community college truck driver training day 3. Didn't know what to expect when I started so I am happy to report I have not been disappointed so far.
I can now back up in a straight line very well and hope to have backing around corners mastered in the near future.

I am thinking Roehl, Boyd or Maverick as my first choices for employment. Flatbed sounds like fun. (or NASCAR team transporter driver but Dale Jr. isn't taking my calls.)
Hey Jay I'm waiting to go to a community college trucking school the next class in NC. Where is your's? I know I know there is just more then one but someone on one of these boards said their's was in NC and was wondering if it was you. I think it was very close to me. Maybe you could keep me informed on your experiences as well.

Thanks Jay
Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Why does the Coast Guard have a minimum hieght requirement of 6 ft tall?
So if the boat sinks the crew can walk to shore.
Nope.... because the bulkheads are only 6ft tall, and it COSTS too much, and is impossible, to teach a "swabby" to DUCK!! :lol: :wink:

Just kiddin' y'all!!!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolsr1
Hey Jay I'm waiting to go to a community college trucking school the next class in NC. Where is your's? I know I know there is just more then one but someone on one of these boards said their's was in NC and was wondering if it was you. I think it was very close to me. Maybe you could keep me informed on your experiences as well.
I'm going to SVCC in South Boston, VA. So far it is great, plenty of truck time and the instructors are good guys. It is way cheap compared to the private driving schools at least for in state tuition, and not having to be indentured for 2 or 3 years to a crappy company because of going through their school is extra bonus if you can swing the $1600 up front.
They also require you get your CDL learners permit before the course starts so they save a week of all classroom right there too.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I'm going to SVCC in South Boston, VA. So far it is great, plenty of truck time and the instructors are good guys. It is way cheap compared to the private driving schools at least for in state tuition, and not having to be indentured for 2 or 3 years to a crappy company because of going through their school is extra bonus if you can swing the $1600 up front.
They also require you get your CDL learners permit before the course starts so they save a week of all classroom right there too.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Old 09-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Board Regular

Today we had some recruiters come in and talk to us. Couple of them were OK and couple were the used car salesman type. The one guy from a big national company was really the sleazy type, but he did answer almost all my questions mostly directly. One question I asked was about tuition reimbursement and his answer was sure, an extra $100/ month and .02 cpm LESS then the regular milage rate.

Another one explained that we could make extra money after only 6 months by becoming a trainer. Now we all know I am not speaking from personal experience here because I haven't even graduated from driver school yet, but 6 months experience to become a trainer? That don't sound right to me. Maybe a year in rare cases but even that seems fast to me.

Anyway, I am glad I have a clean DMV, no DUIs, no felonies or misdemeanors so I don't have to go with a company with a 130% turnover rate. Most of the class is going to have to go with lower paying, never see home companies because of their pasts and a couple are going to have to drive dump trucks for a long time.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B
Quote:
The College I'm going to is $605 for an 8 week class in state tuition. Tomorrow is my orientation day, class starts on 22 Oct and is over 14 Dec just in time for Christmas and the New Year and being a newbie driving in snow. Spent 4 years in Germany so diving a car in snow or black ice is no problem but a 70' tractor/trailer maybe a different story for a newbie