User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A good legal service to fight a speeding tix

Well, it looks like I got myself into a bit a trouble.

I got my first ticket in 12 years yesterday in SC, Aiken Co, while driving a rental car from NC to LA to PU my truck after a medical leave.(Amusing side note here, turns out my neighbor 3 houses down was driving the other direction and got a speeding ticket the same day in the same county).

Long story short, I had the cruise set at 75 in a 70 zone and came up on a car doing 70 in the fast lane. First time I've seen that! :evil: After spending a fair amount of time behind the car (not even close to tailgating) and realizing the driver had no intention of moving over and was pacing a car in the slow lane I stepped on the gas to get around him and was immediately greeted with a nice little blue light show. (damn plain wrappers, talk about a rolling speed trap). If he would have given me 3 seconds I would have been back to 75, Oh well.

He set the bait and I took it hook, line and sinker. So much for slower traffic staying right.

I must admit, he was professional, (other than sitting in the fast lane at 70mph),but had no interest in a conversation of any kind and I ended up with a 86 in a 70. 800,000 accident/ticket free miles shot to hell in a few seconds.

Not looking for pity, just want to give a little background story and perhaps a friendly warning to the younger drivers that one seemingly harmless and stupid decision can put your entire career at risk.

With that, has anyone actually used any of the legal service recently with success to fight a ticket. I'm looking at http://www.interstatetrucker.com/ and https://www.tixnix.com/.

I am definitely getting a lawyer, I'm just trying to decide if it would be better to use a service or try to contact a local SC lawyer on my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

THX

[email protected]
Old 09-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Board Regular

why don't you first see if the state has a good driving record before hiring a lawyer. In R.I. if you haven't had a moving violation in over 5 yrs. they have a statute for good/safe drivers to pay a court fee and have the ticket dismissed. You don't necessarrily need a lawer for a ticket. From my years of experience with the courts, the defense, prosecution and judge all sit at the same dinner table. Most traffic judges are pro police so going in telling them the cop wouldn't move or was in the passing lane will only cause the judge to look at you over the top of his glasses and find you guilty. I know anything south of the mason dixon, they don't care who you are, if they get out of their car, you get a ticket. If your going to fight it, I always suggest- suit and tie, clean shaven, admit with an explanation with a good driving record. Hope that helps a little.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleypiper
why don't you first see if the state has a good driving record before hiring a lawyer. In R.I. if you haven't had a moving violation in over 5 yrs. they have a statute for good/safe drivers to pay a court fee and have the ticket dismissed.
That only applies to Non-CDL holders. Under federal law, CDL holders can no longer have a charge lessened or go to traffic school.

Hire a lawyer if you really want to keep this off your record.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Board Regular

Wasn't there a law passed in La a few years ago requiring slower traffic to keep right? :roll: This just goes to show that traffic laws are mostly about revenue and not safety.BTW,I have RARELY seen a plain wrapper(LEO car) drive below 85mph. :lol: Are you sure he wasn't doing 85 and you caught up on him doing 86? :lol:
Old 09-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Board Regular

A Traffic court judge in any state or municipality can have a ticket dismissed so it doesn't show on your record. Your still inocent till proven guilty.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Wasn't there a law passed in La a few years ago requiring slower traffic to keep right? :roll: This just goes to show that traffic laws are mostly about revenue and not safety.BTW,I have RARELY seen a plain wrapper(LEO car) drive below 85mph. :lol: Are you sure he wasn't doing 85 and you caught up on him doing 86? :lol:
Nope, he was actually doing 70, I followed him for about 2 miles hoping he would pull over because there was a car in the slow lane doing 70 also and I was hoping he would pass so I could continue on. Impatience got the better of me and I was in a no win situation. The cop had no intention of passing and was just waiting for my to go for it. I was stupid and he was a jerk!

And with the new laws that restrict CDL drivers from reducing tickets I'm in a world of hurt and trying to find a lawyer while I'm 1000 miles away. If I can't get this dismissed I'm out of a job.

Sucks to be me.

[email protected]
Old 09-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Rookie

why out of the job
Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Board Icon

It didn't happen in LA, it happened in SC. They do that a lot down there from what I hear. Brother watched a cop pull up to a van with tinted out windows and start screwing with'em trying to goat them into a race. The van took the bait and hammered down only for the wrapper to flip on his lights and nail him.

They do it on purpose and should be entrapment.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkevindb
why out of the job
Company policy(Crete), get a speeding ticket over 75mph, regardless of posted speed or if I'm in a company truck or a personal vehicle(that sucks) is mandatory dismissal(You're Fired).

Then I'm stuck with trying to find a decent job with a brand new 16mph over ticket on my DMV. OH JOY :!:

[email protected]
Old 09-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Rookie

when u wanna fight the ticket it take up to 6 motnhs so get a new job between it