User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Why can police officers be the biggest idiots????

This happened a couple days ago and is really bugging the S*@T out of me.

I haul gas and I had a delivery of 8,800 gallons going to Glenville, WV. The only legal way to get there is to run a very narrow road. There are two other ways to get there, but because of weight restrictions on bridges the narrow road is the way we must take, if it's a smaller order you can take other routes but when your 79,500 there is no other choice. Some might know the road if your from WV. Rt 5 West to Glenville, Exit 79 off I-79.

About 5-6 miles west of I-79 I have 2 cars following me. I can only do 35 MPH average, some straights I can get to 50 and some curves I'm down to 15, lots of hills and sharp curves. A State Trooper comes flying up behind us, the 2 cars can get out of his way with no problem, I have no where to go. There is no shoulder, if I do pull off the road I am going into a deep ditch. I slow down thinking he can just simply pass me, I'm waving him around me and he doesn't do anything. Finally we get to a straight stretch and he passes me.

About 5 miles down the road there is an accident, right lane blocked so they are letting traffic go by in the left lane. I get right up to the accident and the officer jumps out in the middle of the road with his hand up. He proceeds to jump on the side of my truck and yell at me through my window. I stoped the truck, set the brakes and ask him to get off of my truck. That pissed him off even more. I asked him what he wanted me to do? I asked him if he wanted me to cause another accident by pulling over in the ditch (no doubt the truck would have went over) and he would have 45,000 pounds of gas to deal with IF it didn't ignite. he told me he didn't care and when an emergency vehicle has their lights on I MUST GET OVER. I told him to write the ticket and lets see what an educated judge thinks about this situation. He did this in front of a group a people around the accident, which in my opinion makes me and my company look bad and that we don't obey law enforcement. Told my dispatcher and they just blew it off. I think this cop was way out of line and a idiot. I know his badge number, car number and his name. Should I write a complaint about him of let it go? Or was I in the wrong and should have got out of his way?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Why can police officers be the biggest idiots????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
This happened a couple days ago and is really bugging the S*@T out of me.

I haul gas and I had a delivery of 8,800 gallons going to Glenville, WV. The only legal way to get there is to run a very narrow road. There are two other ways to get there, but because of weight restrictions on bridges the narrow road is the way we must take, if it's a smaller order you can take other routes but when your 79,500 there is no other choice. Some might know the road if your from WV. Rt 5 West to Glenville, Exit 79 off I-79.

About 5-6 miles west of I-79 I have 2 cars following me. I can only do 35 MPH average, some straights I can get to 50 and some curves I'm down to 15, lots of hills and sharp curves. A State Trooper comes flying up behind us, the 2 cars can get out of his way with no problem, I have no where to go. There is no shoulder, if I do pull off the road I am going into a deep ditch. I slow down thinking he can just simply pass me, I'm waving him around me and he doesn't do anything. Finally we get to a straight stretch and he passes me.

About 5 miles down the road there is an accident, right lane blocked so they are letting traffic go by in the left lane. I get right up to the accident and the officer jumps out in the middle of the road with his hand up. He proceeds to jump on the side of my truck and yell at me through my window. I stoped the truck, set the brakes and ask him to get off of my truck. That pissed him off even more. I asked him what he wanted me to do? I asked him if he wanted me to cause another accident by pulling over in the ditch (no doubt the truck would have went over) and he would have 45,000 pounds of gas to deal with IF it didn't ignite. he told me he didn't care and when an emergency vehicle has their lights on I MUST GET OVER. I told him to write the ticket and lets see what an educated judge thinks about this situation. He did this in front of a group a people around the accident, which in my opinion makes me and my company look bad and that we don't obey law enforcement. Told my dispatcher and they just blew it off. I think this cop was way out of line and a idiot. I know his badge number, car number and his name. Should I write a complaint about him of let it go? Or was I in the wrong and should have got out of his way?

write the letter if you are sure of your facts. It may not do any good, but maybe he has developed a pattern. one thing for sure, you cant do any good if you dont write it.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

No, you definitely should have pulled into the ditch and turned the truck over. Emergency vehicles always have the right of way. :roll:

Dude, fight it. You're in the right, as long as what you've said is fact and not exaggeration. It's one thing if you're on the Interstate or a wide US-highway, but not some tiny backroad. You were right by slowing down and waving him on. What else can you do?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

You should remind him the law is you must slow down AND move to the right shoulder IF POSSIBLE, not AT ALL COSTS.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Wow, I think I might possibly have been a tad more pissed at the moment where he started yelling at you. I dont know if it was professional or wise of him to bark at a driver that did nothing wrong and has had a stressful day too.
Is it considered assault if you pepper sprayed an officer in a situation like that? Even better a TAZER- ZAPZZAAAAP J/K

I think you should definately complain about it to the Chief of Police and the Mayor or equivalent and be sure to get the Judge to dismiss that ticket. :wink:
Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 AM

So, did you actually get cited. If yes, then by all means raise holy hell over an over zealous officer. If your story is 100% accurate. The officer was in the wrong and needs to calm down. Just remember he may of had a bad day, not that it makes it right but that's just the way it is.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I told him to write the ticket and lets see what an educated judge thinks about this situation. He did this in front of a group a people around the accident, which in my opinion makes me and my company look bad and that we don't obey law enforcement.
Did the LEO actually write a citation? If he did it is worth fighting in court, find a decent attorney to assist.
If you just want to insure his superiors are aware of the situation, keep a very professional attitude about whatever approach you use to advise his superiors. Keeping in mind that, it sounds like you travel this route frequently, which could lead to harrasment during your future travels in and around this jurisdication.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

I'd fight it, even if the only thing gained out of this is that trucks like ours don't have the same options as smaller vehicles
Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:
I told him to write the ticket and lets see what an educated judge thinks about this situation. He did this in front of a group a people around the accident, which in my opinion makes me and my company look bad and that we don't obey law enforcement.
Did the LEO actually write a citation? If he did it is worth fighting in court, find a decent attorney to assist.
If you just want to insure his superiors are aware of the situation, keep a very professional attitude about whatever approach you use to advise his superiors. Keeping in mind that, it sounds like you travel this route frequently, which could lead to harrasment during your future travels in and around this jurisdication.
The WORST part of this, is that it was a STATE TROOPER, not just some local yokel with a chip on his shoulder! Troopers are supposed to be better trained, and better restrained!

Citation or NOT..... you have his name and badge #. I would call the local "barracks" for the state patrol and ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell him what happened, and offer to come in and "discuss the matter with him AND the trooper (if necessary.) But, leave NO DOUBT that you won't mind testing his knowledge in court, if necessary, and perhaps even mention the "damage" to the company reputation you felt ocurred.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how the citation (if there WAS one) disappears.... and how you will be THANKED for your cooperation with the LAWS concerning such a situation.

I have often wondered about the legality of "ordering an LEO off your truck." But, I can't help wondering if it wouldn't be legal (or at least FUN) to SPEED UP once one climbed on board!! :lol:

Personally, I would have STOPPED the truck where it would BEST block all traffic, (once he jumped on board,) and got out and "discussed" it with him! If he continued to be an azz, I'd have handed him the keys and asked HIM to move the truck.... of course I'd ask him if he HAD a CDL with which to do so!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Senior Board Member

My guess is that the cop's wife didn't give him what he needed the night before so he took it out on you. I know the road you was on. I used to deliver for FedEx Home Delivery in that neck of the woods. Even in a 3/4 ton Chevy Van that road sucks, let alone a heavy t/t.