User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
So what do you do at 2am when truck stops and the rest areas are packed and you are out of hours???
Relevance to this post=0....but to give a reply, try better trip planning.

Quote:
dont know how long you people have been driving, but I've driven quite a few trucks w/o jake brakes running heavy. By downshifting properly and using the brakes like they were made to use, you can stop a truck alot faster than switching on the jake and waiting for it to stop the forward momentum of 80K at 65
Relevance to this post=0....but to give a reply, Im not trying to stop the truck "alot faster", just a gradual slow down, saving wear and tear on the truck and the service brakes, for a well planned exit from the highway.

Quote:
I'm about to miss my exit to the Flying J, I'd better get out of the hammer lane, hit the jake, and get over 3 lanes of traffic because Law and Order reruns are playing in the driver lounge!
Relevance to this post=0....Your example is a little extreme.

Quote:
Try knowing where you're going and preparing to get off the highway. I hate truckstops and go there only to fuel and occasionally grab a bite to eat.
Relevance to this post=0...your personnel preference, do what you want.

Quote:
Second:
For the sake of brevity Im not quoting your entire opinion.
but.....
Relevance to this post=0

Quote:
I dont park on ramps all the time and certainly dont park on the off ramp!! Well I probably would if I was a company driver and didn't care

I am a company driver, and I do care, about the image of drivers in general. Company driver or not, act like the professional we all should be.

Jake brakes are here today and available for use to safely and effective control the speed of the truck. If used responsible in the correct locations they are an exemptional aid.
Just an additional not, I drive a company truck, had it since new, original service brakes all around. Current milage on the truck, 340000+ miles
Old 09-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:
So what do you do at 2am when truck stops and the rest areas are packed and you are out of hours???
Relevance to this post=0....but to give a reply, try better trip planning.

Quote:
dont know how long you people have been driving, but I've driven quite a few trucks w/o jake brakes running heavy. By downshifting properly and using the brakes like they were made to use, you can stop a truck alot faster than switching on the jake and waiting for it to stop the forward momentum of 80K at 65
Relevance to this post=0....but to give a reply, Im not trying to stop the truck "alot faster", just a gradual slow down, saving wear and tear on the truck and the service brakes, for a well planned exit from the highway.

Quote:
I'm about to miss my exit to the Flying J, I'd better get out of the hammer lane, hit the jake, and get over 3 lanes of traffic because Law and Order reruns are playing in the driver lounge!
Relevance to this post=0....Your example is a little extreme.

Quote:
Try knowing where you're going and preparing to get off the highway. I hate truckstops and go there only to fuel and occasionally grab a bite to eat.
Relevance to this post=0...your personnel preference, do what you want.

Quote:
Second:
For the sake of brevity Im not quoting your entire opinion.
but.....
Relevance to this post=0

Quote:
I dont park on ramps all the time and certainly dont park on the off ramp!! Well I probably would if I was a company driver and didn't care

I am a company driver, and I do care, about the image of drivers in general. Company driver or not, act like the professional we all should be.

Jake brakes are here today and available for use to safely and effective control the speed of the truck. If used responsible in the correct locations they are an exemptional aid.
Just an additional not, I drive a company truck, had it since new, original service brakes all around. Current milage on the truck, 340000+ miles

if you use the jake and your truck has 340,000 miles on it, then I guess the top end has been rebuilt 6 times another 10,00 and it will need it again..
Old 09-16-2007, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Fredog said:

Quote:
leaving the jake on all the time has absolutely no effect on engine life. my current truck has 1 million 500 thousand miles on it and has been rebuilt once
Quote:
if you use the jake and your truck has 340,000 miles on it, then I guess the top end has been rebuilt 6 times another 10,00 and it will need it again..
Im not following your meaning with your last statement, especially since your truck has 1.5million on its engine (1rebuild)
Old 09-16-2007, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Fredog said:

Quote:
leaving the jake on all the time has absolutely no effect on engine life. my current truck has 1 million 500 thousand miles on it and has been rebuilt once
Quote:
Im not following your meaning with your last statement, especially since your truck has 1.5million on its engine (1rebuild)
this is what I was referring to..

I dont park on ramps all the time and certainly dont park on the off ramp!! Well I probably would if I was a company driver and didn't care. I would also keep my jake brake on all the time as well, so after 50k miles of that, the motor would need a new top end. I wouldn't need new brakes
though...
Old 09-16-2007, 04:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
this is what I was referring to..

I dont park on ramps all the time and certainly dont park on the off ramp!! Well I probably would if I was a company driver and didn't care. I would also keep my jake brake on all the time as well, so after 50k miles of that, the motor would need a new top end. I wouldn't need new brakes though...
I got ya now, sorry....Im gettin tired...bout time to for some sleep...
Old 09-16-2007, 04:22 AM
Board Regular

Why do people build homes next to highways and then gripe about the noise. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for these folks and I see brand new expensive houses being built right next highways and interstates everyday. Then these people will be raising three kinds of hell about the noise.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Why do people build homes next to highways and then gripe about the noise.
Same reason they build homes next to airport...
Old 09-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Why do people build homes next to highways and then gripe about the noise.
Same reason they build homes next to airport...
or by a chicken farm, or by a dump, or by an animal shelter, and then complain about it...
Old 09-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Board Regular

Sometimes noise and smells can make home ownership more affordable, if not very attractive.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I would also keep my jake brake on all the time as well, so after 50k miles of that, the motor would need a new top end. I wouldn't need new brakes though...
A Jake brake will not cause damage or premature wear to the top end of the engine unless the driver allows the load to push the truck downhill over the engine's maximum governed RPM.