User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I start school next Monday

Got laid off 2 weeks ago and unless I move I cannot get a job doing what I was doing.
I am going to take the driver training at the local community college and pay out of pocket for it ($1600). I have room for that on a credit card and should be able to pay it off fairly fast after getting a job.
I am not really sure what I want to drive and who I want to drive for. There are some local jobs and that would be nice even though the pay might be less. There is also a small company in town that has some OTR.
I am also thinking about ODFL, I hear good things about them on this board and from my brother in law who used to work for them in Mannasas.
The school I am going to will be 6 weeks long, which seems longer then some of the schools I have read about. Will that cut down the amount of time I will have to spend with a trainer? I guess that depends on how fast I can learn stuff.
Anyway, does anyone have a line on a job that will gauranty 3500 miles per week at $.45per and get me home every weekend?
How about driving a transporter for a NASCAR team? Can one of you guys give me Dale Jrs cel phone number?

Thanks for everything I have learned on this forum, it really has helped me so far.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:33 PM

funny you should mention the nascar thing, my wife and i were on I-10
out by palm springs one day and we were probably doing 80 mph when 5 or 6 nascar semi's literally blew by us. They had to be doin 100mph plus
cause they were gone in seconds. they must race between tracks!!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:15 AM

Doing 80 or better yet 100 in semi not the smartest thing to do.People like you don't realize the problems you cause the rest of us.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Ask yourself this...
If you owned a million dollar race car would you hire someone with NO experience to transport it?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Bouncer,,

People like me??? Posted speed limit is 70 so 80 is not an outragous speed. I thought it was common knowledge that if the traffic is moving 80 mph than you drive 80. No trooper will pick out one car out of a pack of 20 cars that are doing 80 and give them a ticket. He may turn his lights on to slow the pack down. Thats a fact!! and just the way it is in southern california.

I bet you are that guy that drives the speed limit in the passing lane. Do that in SOCAL and you may end up with a bullet wound!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Driving a car ar that speed maybe but driving something that weighs 80,000 pounds Imo Doing 80 in a semi is asking for trouble and yes you will get pulled over even if you following the speed of traffic.Just because everyone else is doing 80 doesn't make it legal.