User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Qualcomm

This is my 1st job where we have to use them damn things. I just want to know is it like a GPS can they tell where i am at all times going down the road. Like can they pull it up on there screen and see like a dot on the map moving down the road. Can they tell how fast your going etc. etc. Or is it just to send messages back and fourth. :?: :?:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Qualcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
This is my 1st job where we have to use them damn things. I just want to know is it like a GPS can they tell where i am at all times going down the road. Like can they pull it up on there screen and see like a dot on the map moving down the road. Can they tell how fast your going etc. etc. Or is it just to send messages back and fourth. :?: :?:
It is just like your Proctologist. They will know your life in intimate detail.
Get used to the infernal beeping.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Qualcomm

Quote:
they can locate you within 50 feet and can tell if you are moving or not. some of them record speed and idle time and such, but most cant tell how fast you are going at a paticular time, one thing to remember, your times are all recorded, so make sure your log book matches. for instance, you log sleeping at 1200 but the qualcomm shows you were moving,, OOPS. or you forgot to log fuel stop. log shows driving, qualcomm shows stopped. another oops.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member

I can tell me and this qualcomm is not going to get along. :twisted: thanks for the info guys. I want to drive truck for the freedom but i guess that is going away.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I can tell me and this qualcomm is not going to get along. :twisted: thanks for the info guys. I want to drive truck for the freedom but i guess that is going away.
it can be your friend if you drive legal and it can be your worst enemy if you dont.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 AM
Default qualcomm

it can be your frien if dispatch "wants" you to run a load when you dont have enough hours. just send a nice message say u cant run the load, if they fire you u can get the quallcomm logs from quallcomm

seeya on the flip side, Stay Safe
Old 09-09-2007, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Its a hell of a lot better than having dispatch put you on hold for an hour.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Its a hell of a lot better than having dispatch put you on hold for an hour.
You aren't about kidding there! I do not miss the "call me back in an hour" BS in the days of the pay phones... I loved having the qualcomm there and being able to just flake out until they decided that they needed me. On the bad side, if you work for a company with a lot of morons in it that the company has to babysit.. it will tend to bug the heck outta you when they are looking for a "volunteer" to save some load that someone screwed up.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Different companies have different set-ups. Most will ping you once and hour automatically for a location up-date. While others will track more often or less. Most fleets will randomly - or not pick a percentage of trucks to track constantly on a given day, then check against the logs. I have yet to have an issue with the log department or safety with any company I have worked for with the Qualcomm. And not having to stop and call in or burn up cell minutes waiting for dispatch to answer the phone can be priceless.

Currently mine only goes off for dispatch or someone returning a message. Once or twice a week I get some safety message. Last few days mine have been acting up, and the system has no idea were I am sometimes. Tried to get a truck wash PO today, and it kept telling me I was not within 20 miles of an authorized truck wash. I was sitting in the driveway in front of the door. When I called in to get the PO, weekend dispatch said it was showing me 300 miles from where I actually was, oops. Tuesday and Wednesday it showed me driving 18 hours straight and something like 39 hours on duty, hmm, fleet manager said not to worry about it. He know this thing needs work, truck is due for a full service next week, guess they will get it fixed then.

Just for grins, just checked the online tracking, and is actually showing me in the right place. First time today, go figure. Guess it is because I have been parked for 4 hours.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 09-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Well the good thing about my company i guess is they never bother you with it. When you are empty you have to send a empty call call over the qualcomm and then call them with a phone. Then they send you a load over the qualcomm but that is the only time they use the thing. Well am going to the yard today to get the truck to take it to my house to put in my CB and siruis. We will see if there trackin me or not.