User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

While there are certain offenses that will get a CDL suspended no matter where the offense occurred as per federal guidelines, it is still pretty much up to the state that issued the DL/CDL as to what constitutes an offense(s) that warrants the suspension of a person's DL/CDL.

Even though a CDL is close to a federal license it is not, and while most states have agreements with other states to apply driving convictions to the DL of the person who received them it is a state issue, not a federal one. For this reason a state can suspend a person's driving privileges in that state but can not actually suspend an out of state DL/CDL.

All the CDL program does, or is suppose to do, is provide a minimum standard of proficiency and knowledge a person must have in order to operate a commercial vehicle and to prevent people from holding numerous DL at the same time.

Now before some one comes along and suggests I am truck stop lawyering this is information provided to me by two attorneys. One specializes in traffic law and the other in Transportation law.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
have a few questions about out of state tickets. If you know the answer, please... post up!

Unkut, You dont like the answers from your "Serious problem" post, so you need to start another one.
Your not going to get a simple fix, You have some very serious issues that will require some $$$ to MAYBE fix.

Quote:
4.) Anyone know any GOOD Traffic Lawyers in the Indianapolis area???
Your current citation needs to me downgraded to a non moving violation, so you dont get any more points assessed to your license.
If you think a "Local traffic" lawyer can fix your problem cheaper than a CDL lawyer, then you go ahead and waste your money.
I gave you a suggestion in your "other" post, that you seemed to not take seriously. If you already belonged to the legal service plan the most it would have cost you would be $250. They can still help you but it will cost quite a bit more. If you call them, they have a CDL attorney in the court that has your case, that will be able to do all the work, and you wont need to be there.

Like I said there is no simple fix to your issues, if you dont take this seriously, PLEASE turn in you CDL.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Senior Board Member

When you depend on your CDL for a Paycheck you have to protect it. I would spend the money to get it reduced or thrown out. My opinion would be to find a local lawyer in Indiana, find a real good one and might be a good chance he plays golf with the judge every Friday's? Thats the way it works here in Ohio (in certain counties), you pay a lawyer enough money and he will get things done for you. :wink:

But then on the other hand a CDL lawyer might know more about commercial laws and lope holes?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for all the help! I called the Ohio BMV and they said if I pay Indiana, Indiana WILL report it to my Ohio record, however Ohio will NOT add an points to my license, only the offense!!! So I could just send in the payment and call it a day to be honest.....right???
Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 PM

I believe to hold a CDL, YOU are required to report ANY ticket (other than parking) for your personal vehicle or truck, from ANY state to your home state, AND employer within 30 days. PERIOD
Old 09-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie
I believe to hold a CDL, you are required to report ANY ticket (other than parking) for your personal vehicle or truck, from ANY state to your home state, AND employer within 30 days. PERIOD
Yes but I'm wondering what in the World you did to get a 6pt ticket-that's a pretty major violation in my state.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:
I believe to hold a CDL, you are required to report ANY ticket (other than parking) for your personal vehicle or truck, from ANY state to your home state, AND employer within 30 days. PERIOD
Yes but I'm wondering what in the World you did to get a 6pt ticket-that's a pretty major violation in my state.
It may not make any difference if Ohio assesses points or not. Just having that ticket on your record can be enough to get you fired. It will certainly keep you from getting another job given you more than embarassing driving record.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: TICKET INFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkut2003
I have a few questions about out of state tickets. If you know the answer, please... post up!

1.) If you receive a ticket in another state, does it get transfered to your "home" states MVR???

2.) If so, does anyone know if a ticket received in Indiana will be transfered to an Ohio MVR???

3.) Say your ticket from another state carries in my case 6 points.... but in your home state it only carries 4 points. What will be added to your MVR.... 6 or 4???

4.) Anyone know any GOOD Traffic Lawyers in the Indianapolis area???

Any other info about helping with an out of state ticket would be GREAT!!! Please post up any info and help!!!! THANKS!!!

(If you feel you could help me in a "Disobeying Trafffic Device" ticket, PLEASE send me a PM.... I'd REALLY appreciate it!!!)

Reread.

Indiana used to offer disposition 2 years ago. Not sure if they still do. Check with the court and see if they offer a disposition. In other words,don't receive another ticket for 6 months or a year and the ticket gets dismissed. If they don't offer deferred disposition,than the only other option is to give it to a lawyer who can plead it down to a nonmoving charge.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
While there are certain offenses that will get a CDL suspended no matter where the offense occurred as per federal guidelines, it is still pretty much up to the state that issued the DL/CDL as to what constitutes an offense(s) that warrants the suspension of a person's DL/CDL.

Even though a CDL is close to a federal license it is not, and while most states have agreements with other states to apply driving convictions to the DL of the person who received them it is a state issue, not a federal one. For this reason a state can suspend a person's driving privileges in that state but can not actually suspend an out of state DL/CDL.

All the CDL program does, or is suppose to do, is provide a minimum standard of proficiency and knowledge a person must have in order to operate a commercial vehicle and to prevent people from holding numerous DL at the same time.

Now before some one comes along and suggests I am truck stop lawyering this is information provided to me by two attorneys. One specializes in traffic law and the other in Transportation law.
You sound extremely knowledgeable, how long have you been driving?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I believe to hold a CDL, YOU are required to report ANY ticket (other than parking) for your personal vehicle or truck, from ANY state to your home state, AND employer within 30 days. PERIOD
Correct. Even if the poster gets no points on his MVR in Ohio, the insurance company for his employer may have certain guidelines. He may still lose his job if the company can no longer cover him on their policy.