User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

All

The big announcement

As you know wife had a couple of problems. I did not mention that an instructor became very frustrated with her and also became emotional going, what I felt, a bit overboard. She was told, after only 3 sessions, they did not think she could master the truck. Some their concerns were legitimate but most was off base.

The Missoula Sage is a corporate school owned and run by the founders of Sage. Yep, that Lew. Yesterday, we made a 640 mile round trip to Billings Mt. [corporate headquarters] and talked with the corporate director. Wife did a range test and she did fine. So we are transferring to the Billings Campus effective Friday. I must say Sage upper management was very professional and went to great lengths to investigate the incident and interview all involved. It has been settled with our complete satisfaction. My wife feels far more supported and upbeat and this is from the short time she was on the Billings Campus.

Please do not misunderstand. The staff at Missoula is fine. They do a fine job with the typical truck driving school student.

Mostly, my wife just felt she had lost the support of one or two of the instructors. English is my wife's second language. Although she is quite literate, she must take her time and sometimes does not understand slang and industry terminology. I suspect this particular Sage has not had much experience with non-traditional students.

So we are en route to the land of Lew.

Rick
Old 09-27-2007, 03:12 AM

Hey Rick
Glad to hear it worked out to your satisfaction. It seems the Sage shool here has many "non-traditionals". We have a S. African in the school with us now for one.
Enjoy the land of Lew!! Tell him Hi for us!
Cheers
Old 10-02-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey everyone, here I go slacking again.

Been doing a lot of driving as of late! I'm getting the offset backing and parallel parking down to perfection. It's all about the proper setup.

Today to start off I got the backing and parallel parking perfect 3 times in a row with no pullups! 8) We took a trip around the road test route and then shot out to Brazil, IN via I-70. My shifting is a lot better and my downshifting has really improved. I find it easier to downshift using the clutch only to get into neutral, then get proper RPMs and just slide it into gear.

I just need to get everything on the pretrip down and I should be good to go. I have 4 drives left before I take the test.

Rick, how is everything going in Montana? Roadie, are you done with the classroom yet?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:50 AM

Still workiin the classroom stuff. We have done a few preflights. I have it down pretty good I think. Looks like most of this week in class, tho instr want to get us a little bit, got to drive a loop last Fri and back up to a trailer.
Anxious to start the drives!
I do have a blog going. I update every day or two
address is http://roadieandwingz.blogspot.com
if your interested.
Good to hear your getting out there and doing some and progressing. Thats gotta feel good!
Keep it up
Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Roadie,

Good luck when you get to the road. It is fun! We usually take a route to a specific location that has a lot of stop lights, then take the interstate back. For example, the other day we took US 31 from Indy down to Seymour, IN. It's about 65 or so miles with a LOT of stop lights. This is good for practicing downshifting. My instructor on that drive was laughing because we hit almost every green light! But my downshifting is fine. Then on the way back it is smooth sailing in I-65 back to Indy. Just hit the cruise control and keep your eyes peeled for idiots.

Good luck Roadie!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member

10/2/07

Today I worked on my pretrip and skills. I did much better on the pretrip this time; I only missed a couple of items. I have the 4 pt brake check down pat.

I spent about 2 hours doing nothing but the offset backing and parallel park. I told my instructor to just stay outta the way and let me do my thing. By the end I did the offset back 5 times in a row with no pull-ups and nailed the parallel park each time (you are allowed to GOAL on the parallel park).

I told my instructor that I am ready to take my CDL test skillswise but need more work on pretrip. I have 3 drives left, so I should be good. One of those drives we go to Lafayette, IN and back.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:45 PM

Not much to report here, more pre-trips, classroom on inspections, shifting, transmissions, backing, public/employer relations, etc. Guess we'll finish up most of classroom this week, and start driving next.
Keep up the good work, sounds like you're nearly there!!
Cheers
Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Rookie

Hey ColtsFan when you are going up to Lafayette on 65 right as you get to the 146 exit get in the left lane or you are going to hit your head on the cab roof as there is a huge dip in the right lane, I always forget, going that way tomorrow
Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NailGunner
Hey ColtsFan when you are going up to Lafayette on 65 right as you get to the 146 exit get in the left lane or you are going to hit your head on the cab roof as there is a huge dip in the right lane, I always forget, going that way tomorrow
We'll probably head up there through some small towns and head back down on I-65. I'll keep a look out though, thanks for the tip!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:42 PM

Hey Colts and RJ, how's it going with you guys? We just finished up all the classroom stuff today, and we'll start our drives Monday! Can't wait!
Have a great weekend!
Cheers