User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks again people for the info. Golf, that seems like the way I would rather go I think?!

Besides speaking to people in person, viewing and posting on this forum, what would be a good list of movies to watch, books and magz to read or any other resources that would give me some more knowledge of the industry.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
Thanks again people for the info. Golf, that seems like the way I would rather go I think?!

Besides speaking to people in person, viewing and posting on this forum, what would be a good list of movies to watch, books and magz to read or any other resources that would give me some more knowledge of the industry.
While owning a truck may seem like a good go there is more to being a O/O than just purchasing a truck. Number #1 more than likely you won't be able to get insurance. Most insurance companies require at least 200K miles of driving experience and some require over 500K. Many of the smaller truck lines won't sign you on because they can get you insured.

As to those people that think can sight see and drive like you was on vacation. Well that's not going to happen. I've been in all the 48 states many time yet I have yet seen many of the country side. You still have to meet delivery times. Second problem is most areas you like to see you can not get a big rig into. Even leaving your truck and getting a rental car can be a problem. No way to get from the truck to the rental company and back. It gets expense getting a cab.

Having a "big car" is also a challenge. While I loved my "big car" but I sure wouldn't have started out driving one. I still remember the first time I drove a "big car." I like to never got in the dock. Even when I quit driving there was places I still had problems getting into some areas. In fact there was a couple of times I couldn't make the delivery because the "big car" couldn't get in there simply wasn't enough room.

I don't want to make trucking out as a bad thing to do because it isn't. If and it's not going to happen (2 strokes and 2 heart attacks) I'd go back into trucking but I'm not sure I go back as an O/O. But one thing I would do is change my eating habits and do a lot of walking or running. It is real easy to get yourself over weight and I can assure you it will catch up on you.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

kc0iv
Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson

Forget watching movies or reading rags to learn about driving truck. Go out and talk with driver's. Don't limit your self to just one group of drivers either. Talk with reefer movers, dry van haulers, flatbedders, heavyhaulers, and tanker yankers. Do it face to face. Ask real questions...the questions that concern you!