User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Griff, Now thats a "LARGE CAR", is that yours?
I wish i'm currently driving for foodliner haulin bulk so no big hood for me :cry:
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
This is my situation. I am 29 yrs old, have been a financial advisor for 6 yrs now, make a 6 digit income and have all the toys ive ever wanted. Most people would kill to be where I am at, but now, I am willing to give it all up to be a long hauler. I do not want to do it for the money obviously, I just want to be on the road driving a big rig (hopefully my own some day) traveling all over.

I have no kids, no wife, and I am giving up everything I own so I have no liabilities. I really want to have a truck I own. My question is this...once I get my CDL, I will be in a position to buy a newer truck cash and have 100 to 200k in the bank in addition to owning my own truck.

All the reading I have been doing tells me I should work a min. of 6 months to a year before I even consider buying my own truck and being an o/o.

If you were in my position and could start over again, what would you suggest doing?

Well, here goes.....

1) Make sure I had read nearly EVERY thread on the O/O subforum of this site!

2) Cash out the house, bike, nice car, etc. and RENT a house with room to park the truck (and 2 or 3 trailers.)

There's no reason to give up EVERY convenience of a home, etc., as you WILL get to come home some times. But, a good "transportation" car might be all you need, and a much smaller house just to sit in and relax when you are home. The reason for RENTING a house, is because you many find soon that you want or need to MOVE to another part of the country to be "based" out of.

3) Contact a company like CFI and have a talk about buying a truck and leasing on to them. What kind of loads will you get? Where can you go? Can you work your own schedule? (on or off when you want.... days off inbetween loads?) OR....

4) Check the subforum on drivers looking for O/O's and try to find a good driver who wants to drive for you and teach you the ropes. The BEST situation would be a guy who doesn't need to work EVERY week. He may want some hometime, and YOU can run those weeks by yourself.

5) Treat it LIKE a business! Consider buying the equipment and letting someone ELSE drive for you for awhile. Get the accounts rolling. Ride along with HIM and learn the business. (Who knows, someday you may want to buy a second truck and keep the guy on to drive the first one.)

6) Don't buy a NEW truck. One a few years old with low miles and some warranty left would be good. Make sure it has a condo sleeper. If you don't like the idea of TEAMING or bunking with another guy for awhile... I believe you can afford to stay in "trucker" motels at night.

7) If you lease to a company, you won't need a trailer. But.... if you go it with the O/O "mentor" as I mentioned, buy a good "used" REEFER. This way, you can haul ANY "dry" freight OR produce. You will have just doubled your potential for getting loads! Down the road a ways, you might want to ADD a "step deck" or "lowboy." This will allow you to haul large equipment like cranes and military trucks, etc. MORE flexibility! Personally, I wouldn't buy a flatbed.... too much work! But, if you decide otherwise.... go for it.

8: Stay away from "dedicated runs!" You are not looking for reliable HOMETIME, and you CERTAINLY don't want to be running the SAME route day in and day out!

9) "Normally" I would go with the "norm" and say do a year with some company to learn and get your feet wet. But, your case is different. We normally say that to discourage someone from buying his own truck when he doesn't know enough to keep the money coming in to make the payments and feed the kiddies!! YOU can afford to make mistakes and learn as you go somewhat. If you have a "bad" month, you won't go bankrupt.

10) Yes, that picture of the large car was "sweet," but don't put all your money into something like THAT to start! You just might wreck it! :shock: You have all the time in the world to get something like that AFTER you have gotten dry behind the ears!

Do you remember the old TV show, Have Gun Will Travel?? That would be YOU!!! Get your CDL, buy some good USED equipment, and go looking for loads that will take you where you want to go!!

If "I" were in your shoes.... I'd rent a place in the country with room to park 3 trailers. Eventually, I'd own a reefer, a lowboy, and probably a car hauler. (or a tanker)... and probably TWO trucks!

Don't go blindly or stupidly into this..... read all you can, and TALK to O/O's at the nearby truckstop! But, don't go SCARED, either! You can afford to make a little less the first year while you are learning and building a contact list of brokers, shippers, etc.

Like you said.... IF you should fail, you simply sell off all the equipment, and go back to consulting! But, if you SUCCEED..... you will probably be the happiest, greybeard out here someday!

Oh, one more "option:" Get your CDL and YOU take a job driving for an Owner/Operator!!! Learn the ropes from him, see what it takes to BE one, and THEN buy a used truck and try it on your own. If I were you.... driving for a company would be my LAST resort.

I HOPE this helps. I have done NONE of the above, and I might be out of MY mind, as well!! But, you asked what I'd do if I could start over OR had YOUR options! Well..... that's what I'd DO!!!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Board Icon

P.S: I HOPE you enjoyed scrolling back and forth to read all of that!! You can thank GRIFF for that!!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Default re

Took the pic out

Yes the truck I posted would not be a good starter i'd hate to see that laying on it's side or all banged up coming out of a cave ..
Old 09-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Senior Board Member

I took it out also. Good timming. :wink:
Old 09-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
8: Stay away from "dedicated runs!" You are not looking for reliable HOMETIME, and you CERTAINLY don't want to be running the SAME route day in and day out!
Just want to add my 2cents to this:

Dedicated runs dont necessarly mean reliable hometime, and running the same route (lanes) every day.

I run Dedicated for a Retailer. I run from a central Hub DC, in Hazleton Pa and I spawn out from there, anywhere from Northeast down to Carolinas, into the midwest and upper midwest (Nebraska up through the Dakotas). I rarely run the same route back to back. The account has us run 5-6 days a week or if I want 7 days week after week. (My choice).
I like delivering to the retailers (direct to store) over warehouses. The store has set appointments, Im the only truck there (no waiting for a dock), kick the freight off (about 30mins) and Im out and running. Retail personnel are also easier and nicer to deal with than warehouse workers.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Took the pic out

Yes the truck I posted would not be a good starter i'd hate to see that laying on it's side or all banged up coming out of a cave ..
Thanks, Griff. Sorry if I sounded Gruff! :wink:

It's just that me and Ridge are about to go bonkers over this! :lol:

Was a beautiful truck, though!! Isn't there a photo gallery on this site where such pics could be displayed in all their glory?? (and then a link posted for those who want to see it?)

I don't post pics, so I don't know what's involved, but I don't think it's rocket science to "resize" one to fit the forum. That way we could see your pic without having to scroll.

Anyway, THANKS for being so cooperative!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Default re

Not a problem the pic was to big I should have resized or just made it a thumbnail to the bigger pic.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
Quote:
Just want to add my 2cents to this:

Dedicated runs dont necessarly mean reliable hometime, and running the same route (lanes) every day.

I run Dedicated for a Retailer. I run from a central Hub DC, in Hazleton Pa and I spawn out from there, anywhere from Northeast down to Carolinas, into the midwest and upper midwest (Nebraska up through the Dakotas). I rarely run the same route back to back. The account has us run 5-6 days a week or if I want 7 days week after week. (My choice).
I like delivering to the retailers (direct to store) over warehouses. The store has set appointments, Im the only truck there (no waiting for a dock), kick the freight off (about 30mins) and Im out and running. Retail personnel are also easier and nicer to deal with than warehouse workers.
Thanks for the correction, Drew!! My mistake! I guess I got the wrong impression of a "dedicated run" from the instructors at my CDL school. It sounded like you left the same time every day and drove the same route to 5 or 6 drops, and back again!

But, I DO think you are referring to, and there IS a difference between, a "dedicated ACCOUNT" as opposed to a dedicated RUN.

With this in mind, I would say that starting out as an O/O.... it would be GOOD to find a dedicated account (and I think I said something like that) but.... for seeing the country, one should stay away from a "dedicated RUN."

I think it is either Phantom433 or Silvan who's "location" says something about point A to B "ad nauseum." It's this redundancy that I am against.

Not that it isn't okay for someone who wants to be home every night or on a reliable basis..... it's just not for ME!

I hope that TOGETHER, we have cleared this up for Molson! :wink:

Just as a side note, I live in the SouthEast, but would NOT want to drive around in this REGION all the time, regardless of the variance of routes. That's why I go OTR and TEAM, so I can get out WEST.... AND get home often.

Someday, I will MOVE back to the West, and THEN I will want to run REGIONAL (perhaps dedicated) to stay in the Western 11!!

By then, however, "I" hope to have bought a truck and be an O/O like my idol, Molson!! :wink: :lol:

But, without HIS resources..... I will be DANG glad that I did the "normal" thing of being a company driver for a few years FIRST!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks for the correction, Drew!! My mistake! I guess I got the wrong impression of a "dedicated run" from the instructors at my CDL school. It sounded like you left the same time every day and drove the same route to 5 or 6 drops, and back again!
Nothing to apologize for brother, just clearing up the difference in running dedicated. You are right Dedicated run would be running the same lanes all the time back and forth. Dedicated account would be driving for the same customer with regular irregular runs.

Quote:
like my idol, Molson!!
You got that right, wouldnt it be nice to be in his shoes, come into trucking because you want to and not really have to worry to much about keeping the wheels spinning to make the $$. See the country, AND beable to stop and "smell the roses" when you want to. (You hear this Molson, we are starting to envy you!!)