User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I like the guys who use it in a parking lot :wink: with straight 6" pipes :shock:,......at 2:00 A.M. :evil:
Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some of the big fleets didn't have them on their trucks because of the cost. When I started we didn't have Jake brakes on our trucks. I recall hearing something about them, but don't remember seeing any trucks who had them. We just geared down and went sloooowwww down steep hills. The first truck I bought didn't have a Jake brake. I swore that I would never buy another without one, and I haven't. I didn't have a Jake brake on a truck until I bought my second truck. It is more a matter of safety. It saves the brakes, if used properly. There are still those who don't use them as they were designed. :roll:
Old 08-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: USA Truck: Why no Jake Brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
I have always wondered why USA Truck doesn't have jake brakes on their tractors? I thought it was a DOT regulation that big trucks had to have jakes. I know their trucks are pretty stripped down but having no jakes is taking it a little too far. 8)
Cheepskates spec'd their rigs with no jakes, eh? I'd scratch them off the list for sure. Yes you can do the job without jakes, but any longhauler will tell you that jakes are a useful tool in their toolbox. What about air-conditioning? Is that needed? Nope. But would you do the job without it? I sure as hell wouldn't. What about lumbar support? Power steering? APU's?

Beware of oufits that skimp on their equipment. Next thing you know, they'll be skimping on your paycheck.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Beware of oufits that skimp on their equipment. Next thing you know, they'll be skimping on your paycheck.
That should read:

Quote:
Beware of oufits that skimp on their equipment. It's guaranteed that they'll be screwing you on your paycheck.
8)
Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
I have always wondered why USA Truck doesn't have jake brakes on their tractors? I thought it was a DOT regulation that big trucks had to have jakes. I know their trucks are pretty stripped down but having no jakes is taking it a little too far. 8)
Cheepskates spec'd their rigs with no jakes, eh? I'd scratch them off the list for sure. Yes you can do the job without jakes, but any longhauler will tell you that jakes are a useful tool in their toolbox. What about air-conditioning? Is that needed? Nope. But would you do the job without it? I sure as hell wouldn't. What about lumbar support? Power steering? APU's?
I bet there are a few old dog drivers out there who would cry you a river. :wink:
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

USA's trucks do have Jake brakes, and cruise control and all the other goodies. My uncle drivers for them, and Ive been in the truck.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADLUX
USA's trucks do have Jake brakes, and cruise control and all the other goodies. My uncle drivers for them, and Ive been in the truck.
I know about three or four years ago they didn't have them so they must have begun equipping them with jakes just recently. I went to USA Truck's Van Buren headquarters after I got out of truck school in 2004 and they seemed proud their trucks didn't have jake brakes. No one seemed to know why they didn't have them back then. 8)
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

About 3 years ago is when they started putting them on, so its still a slim chance you might get one with out, but they only hold on to there trucks for about 4 years. The only complaint my uncle has is all the trucks are Mid roofs, he misses his full condo sleeper on his FLD when he was an o/o. But the truck makes him money, so he doesnt complain to much 8) :lol:

Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
I bet there are a few old dog drivers out there who would cry you a river. :wink:

Air conditioning? LUMBAR support? Power steering???? Man.....you would not have liked trucking when I started. You would never have made it. We were lucky just to have a window that rolled down. We didn't even know what lumbar was. Power steering was what you had in your biceps. APU?? We never turned the engine off. It stayed on from the time we left until we got back home.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Dunno why USA Trucks done have Jake Brakes. I guess, I've never thought about it. Some trucks have them, and some dont. I dont think it's a requirement by the DOT to have Jake Brakes.

It's always amazed me that no bigger than Ft. Smith is, they have bookoos of trucking companies, warehouses, etc. Of course, there is I-40 that runs right through there. Major interstate. I'm sure I've said this before, but my mom's family lives in Ft. Smith. (with the exception of her parents-deceased) I have thought about moving to Ft. Smith in the past, because of the trucking jobs there.
All the trucking around here pays for me to live

Trucks gotta break some time. Come on down man

Its a nice area and between Tyson, OK Foods, and the oil fields, there are ALWAYS open trucking jobs 8)