Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   USA Truck: Why no Jake Brakes? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/29128-usa-truck-why-no-jake-brakes.html)

Midnight Flyer 08-21-2007 06:38 PM

USA Truck: Why no Jake Brakes?

:D I have always wondered why USA Truck doesn't have jake brakes on their tractors? I thought it was a DOT regulation that big trucks had to have jakes. I know their trucks are pretty stripped down but having no jakes is taking it a little too far. 8)

Jackrabbit379 08-21-2007 07:35 PM

Dunno why USA Trucks done have Jake Brakes. I guess, I've never thought about it. Some trucks have them, and some dont. I dont think it's a requirement by the DOT to have Jake Brakes.

It's always amazed me that no bigger than Ft. Smith is, they have bookoos of trucking companies, warehouses, etc. Of course, there is I-40 that runs right through there. Major interstate. I'm sure I've said this before, but my mom's family lives in Ft. Smith. (with the exception of her parents-deceased) I have thought about moving to Ft. Smith in the past, because of the trucking jobs there.

Blacksheep 08-21-2007 08:17 PM

Re: USA Truck: Why no Jake Brakes?

Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer:
:D I have always wondered why USA Truck doesn't have jake brakes on their tractors? I thought it was a DOT regulation that big trucks had to have jakes. I know their trucks are pretty stripped down but having no jakes is taking it a little too far. 8)

O my what did truckers ever do with out jake brakes, you're kidding right ?

Mr. Ford95 08-21-2007 08:31 PM

I have no jake and knock on wood, I have yet to encounter a situation where I absolutely needed it. Leave plenty of distance ahead of me and it's all good. I do wish my gears were slightly shorter so that when I let off, the truck won't coast as easy, that it will act as it's own jake better than it currently does.

loofnicnad 08-21-2007 08:55 PM

where did you hear that usa truck doesn't have jakes??????
i drive for them and every truck i have seen has them.
just curious about your information.

loofnicnad

GMAN 08-21-2007 10:02 PM

There are a number of carriers who didn't have Jake brakes, including Heartland. I recall something about engine brakes being required on all newer trucks. I don't remember when the law was to have gone into effect.

Kranky 08-21-2007 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by GMAN:
There are a number of carriers who didn't have Jake brakes, including Heartland. I recall something about engine brakes being required on all newer trucks. I don't remember when the law was to have gone into effect.

Kind of ironic isn't it?

On the one hand said law requires an engine brake, and then more and more roads are being posted "No Engine Braking" to prohibit their use.

Whoever said common sense is dead was right on the money.

GMAN 08-21-2007 10:38 PM

You should never use government and common sense in the same sentence. :P

Midnight Flyer 08-21-2007 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by GMAN:
You should never use government and common sense in the same sentence. :P

:D You got that right!! :lol:

Bonkers 08-21-2007 10:50 PM

I don't know where USA travels, but I'm guessing if the company doesn't do much mountian driving there really isn't much need for a jake.

Some guys also get ridiculous with them too - jaking on flat land and coming off bridges. They're probably the ones that get all defensive when their motors burn out early too...