User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
does anyone have a map anymore...or know how to use one??
a WHAT??
Old 08-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

lol, whats a map. I never use one when I get near the town i need to drop off. my map of low clearances in chicago never came in handy to reroute me around ever changing consruction.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Rookie

That is running legal. I ran 912 the other day outta Miami, but I was working on my West bound log book at the time :shock: .

750 miles a day can be run legal. I figure a little over 2 days to get there. But that was figured in my head, I might be off by a few hours......

www.dieseldogtrucking.com
Old 08-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I use a Rand McNally most of the time. I use Mapquest to get a quick over view or idea of miles when I am talking to a broker to compare miles. It is often quicker than trying to find my map at home.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
does anyone have a map anymore...or know how to use one??
As back up. When there is a better way, I use it. What is gps but a map with a built in locator.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Board Icon

Okay..... THANKS, everyone for the effort! I was hoping there was a better way, but I GOT the info I wanted!

Geeshock: Um.... could you put that PCmiler stuff into ENGLISH??? :lol: I wouldn't know where to stop, but the hours are what I expected! Do you guys really USE this thing for routing?? :shock:

GMAN, thanks for going the extra mile. But, that is STILL the same route through the corner of New Mexico. I was just looking for a way around that!

Jed: ALL I use is a large print Atlas! I used to work for Onstar, so I know this country like the back of my hand, I just wanted to see if the computers were SMARTER than me! :lol:

SilverWulf: You are new to the board, but I think I saw where you've been driving quite awhile. I believe Terry was kidding a bit. Personally.... yes, I DO speed average much of the time, but it's not a BIG deal, cuz I have a fast truck! I RARELY would push the 11 hour limit, and NEVER past my 14! I believe that is close enough to the regs. I WILL NOT let a minor construction slowdown make me shutdown 15 minutes SHORT of a good truckstop and a steak dinner! :lol:

Terry: I REMEMBER all that construction LAST time I went that way, which is why I was trying to avoid it! And you're RIGHT! The Clayton scales will be closed at night, and there's an easy way around Dalhart (which would also probably be closed!)

Anyways..... thanks for the input, guys!! I'll do it safe and mostly legal! I'll stop for a nap when I NEED one.... and make my log show how I DID so!! :lol:

And, as always.... I WILL get my load delivered ON TIME!! :wink:

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Board Icon

I took my map with me on my vacation to LA and I nearly threw it away while I was there. It shows exits as numbers and I routed all my directions using those numbers. The problem was, the state of California or at least around LA has the exit number at the exit ramp, not on the signs before you get there. All they list is the street name, by the time you realize that's your exit, you cannot make the ramp without running thru the grass or hoping to avoid the jersey wall.

Hobo, the first crossing of the Miss without going thru Illni or Kentucky is to take I-155 down to Dyersburg, TN. It would be exit 17 off of 55. Jump off 155 at exit 15 to take 412 south all the way to Jackson and 40. The other way that avoids the Illni and only runs you thru about 3 miles of Kentucky requires the use of a ferry to cross the Miss out of Dorena, Missouri to Hickman, Ky. Have a good and safe one.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Okay..... THANKS, everyone for the effort! I was hoping there was a better way, but I GOT the info I wanted!

Geeshock: Um.... could you put that PCmiler stuff into ENGLISH??? :lol: I wouldn't know where to stop, but the hours are what I expected! Do you guys really USE this thing for routing??

And, as always.... I WILL get my load delivered ON TIME!! :wink:

Hobo
lol, i use it but it doesn't transfer to a text file easy. if you can view .xls files you can view it at the following link and it will probably become clearer.

http://www.jmhowell.com/co-nc.xls
Old 08-19-2007, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
My old computer is in the shop and my new one hasn't arrived yet. So I don't have my routing software available at the moment. The GPS is much handier on the fly, but I have to be at the starting place. The is a convoluted way around it, but I am feeling particularly lazy right now. First, back log. You didn't sit at the shipper for three hours, but only 30 minutes. Take the most direct route. At the end of the day average the miles driven by the speed limit in that state. That way you don't have to worry about mountains, turns, cities or any other delay. At 65 mph you can go 715 miles as a solo driver each day. Actually, a little further if you start 7 minutes 29 seconds early and drive and additional 7:29 when you stop. If you use qualcomm learn where the fuse is. Fuel in the mornings and do your PTI and load check at the same time.
Thanks, but I prefer to run legal. Doing this, if you were to ever get into an accident you would never again see the light of day.

In fact, if you do this, do us all a favor and find a new career.
What?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
Quote:
My old computer is in the shop and my new one hasn't arrived yet. So I don't have my routing software available at the moment. The GPS is much handier on the fly, but I have to be at the starting place. The is a convoluted way around it, but I am feeling particularly lazy right now. First, back log. You didn't sit at the shipper for three hours, but only 30 minutes. Take the most direct route. At the end of the day average the miles driven by the speed limit in that state. That way you don't have to worry about mountains, turns, cities or any other delay. At 65 mph you can go 715 miles as a solo driver each day. Actually, a little further if you start 7 minutes 29 seconds early and drive and additional 7:29 when you stop. If you use qualcomm learn where the fuse is. Fuel in the mornings and do your PTI and load check at the same time.
Thanks, but I prefer to run legal. Doing this, if you were to ever get into an accident you would never again see the light of day.

In fact, if you do this, do us all a favor and find a new career.
What?
what terry lane wrote is very legal if done right sounds like a good game plan to me