User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockee
Having not been there for years I cant remember. How long is the grade, how steep is it. Just because 99% of the trucks do 60 - 65 there, is it safe for them to do so? Not debating here just curious.
If I remember correctly, Sunset Point is about the 253 mm, here is a quote of the grade from that point south into Black Canyon City. Here is the source link: http://www.dondepublishing.com/arizonaareas/area10.htm

At milepost 253 there is a sign for southbound traffic—"Trucks—vehicles pulling trailers check brakes and equipment—use rest area." After coming out of the rest area there are signs stating—"winding road" and "6% grade next 5 miles."

At milepost 251 the 6% grade begins with 60 mph curves. After 2½ miles the grade eases for ½ mile and then goes back to 6% for 2 miles. It eases again for about ¾ mile and then is 4-5% for another mile or so to the exit for Black Canyon City.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 08-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Going 30 mph down a mountain is NOT SAFE YOU MORON! especially with a 65 mph speed limit..... And for the other guy, it's 5% for about 6 miles.
And for Mr. safe driver....please dont argue with me...thats not what I want to do..Ritchies truck is still in the yard..go check it out..it's in the Deming yard. Please dont reply back, pony man...I hate guys like you..I'm trying to help guys who need a break..unlike your little life's virgin azz. Go talk to your JB and Wallyworld but buddies...dont talk to me.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztrucker
Going 30 mph down a mountain is NOT SAFE YOU MORON! especially with a 65 mph speed limit..... And for the other guy, it's 5% for about 6 miles.
And for Mr. safe driver....please dont argue with me...thats not what I want to do..Ritchies truck is still in the yard..go check it out..it's in the Deming yard. Please dont reply back, pony man...I hate guys like you..I'm trying to help guys who need a break..unlike your little life's virgin azz. Go talk to your JB and Wallyworld but buddies...dont talk to me.
It does not matter what the Ritchey truck looks like, their driver made a mistake! National standard for a 6% grade over 2 miles and a 75,000 - 80,000 pound truck is 18 miles per hour. There are several hills in various parts of the west posted as such. Just because Arizona has decided not to pass safe downgrade speeds for trucks, does not mean do it because you can. The training position of the drivers at Stevens has withstood many court cases and investigations by the FMCSA, so I doubt they will change it. Again, their safety record will vouch for that.

If that case should ever go to trial, Ritchie will be paying allot of money to Stevens. Just because you can, does not mean you should. See you in the ditch my friend.

And as far as your name calling and misconception of my knowledge of the industry, you are way off base. It is because of drivers like you, that the government keeps shoving more crap at the trucking industry to slow us down and limit our hours. Good luck!
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 08-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

you are the kind of moron who ends up killing some innocent person or family. please stop holding a truck steering wheel and find another job.
5% for 6 miles at 80,000 pounds. at 60 mph. yea, right. that's safe. and you call someone ELSE a moron?

perhaps if the guy flying down the hill had been paying attention, he would have noticed a truck going slow down the hill. oh that's right, it's always someone elses fault isnt it? has he filed his lawsuit yet? we cant let those stupid truck drivers get away with tying to be safe now can we?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:45 PM

most everyone runs 60-65 down this mountain..believe me its legal and safe..call az dot and ask them what the speed limit is..I dont go by your silly calculations, I drive the way I feel is safe. Any local Phoenix driver will tell you the same thing 60-65 all day long...if it's so unsafe, then why is it legal..
Old 08-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
most everyone runs 60-65 down this mountain..believe me its legal and safe..call az dot and ask them what the speed limit is..I dont go by your silly calculations, I drive the way I feel is safe. Any local Phoenix driver will tell you the same thing 60-65 all day long...if it's so unsafe, then why is it legal..

Arizona DOT wil tell someone to drive at speed that is safe for conditions, equipment, load and traffic. They will not tell a driver of a CMV, oh hell, the speed limit is XX, go for it, we have plenty of emergency personel to clean up the mess. Obviously what you feel is safe, if beyond any other responsible and safe drivers comprehension. The Arizona DOT will very easily ticket a driver that is going to fast down that or any hill, especially after the brakes start smoking because they were going to darn fast.

Just because you think it is safe, does not by any means make it safe! Common sense should prevail in all situations, not stupidity.

Please tell me you have not ever trained another driver in your ways. Good luck hand, and we will pray for your safety and those around you! I also hope any new driver that is reading your post, is not stupid enough to go off those hills on I-17 in high gear as you suggest. I have enough conscious and moral to tell them it is not right, but it would seem that you do not, and are very likely to get someone else killed.
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 08-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Quote:

Arizona DOT wil tell someone to drive at speed that is safe for conditions, equipment, load and traffic. They will not tell a driver of a CMV, oh hell, the speed limit is XX, go for it, we have plenty of emergency personel to clean up the mess. Obviously what you feel is safe, if beyond any other responsible and safe drivers comprehension. The Arizona DOT will very easily ticket a driver that is going to fast down that or any hill, especially after the brakes start smoking because they were going to darn fast.

Just because you think it is safe, does not by any means make it safe! Common sense should prevail in all situations, not stupidity.

Please tell me you have not ever trained another driver in your ways. Good luck hand, and we will pray for your safety and those around you! I also hope any new driver that is reading your post, is not stupid enough to go off those hills on I-17 in high gear as you suggest. I have enough conscious and moral to tell them it is not right, but it would seem that you do not, and are very likely to get someone else killed.
Exactly, some innocent person will suffer because of this idiot.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Board Regular

The phrasing for safe operation and space mangement that we just covered in class yesterday was to drive only as fast as would allow you to stop in a normal distance to avoid obstacles and hazards. If you can't do this because you will smoke your brakes than you are going to fast.

Seems simple to me but I guess my school is not in the BBR training business :roll:
Old 08-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
The phrasing for safe operation and space mangement that we just covered in class yesterday was to drive only as fast as would allow you to stop in a normal distance to avoid obstacles and hazards. If you can't do this because you will smoke your brakes than you are going to fast.

Seems simple to me but I guess my school is not in the BBR training business :roll:
according to supertrucker. if someone runs into the back of you. it's your fault because you werent going fast enough. I hate to think people like him are driving trucks. we can only pray that he just killls himself and no one else. I wonder if he runs over a mini van, if they will investigate the van driver for going too slow.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Like I said everybody drives that fast coming down this mountain, its no problem, except when idiots like you are crawly down with white knuckles going 30 mph. I've been driving for 27 years and have never had an accident. It's the rookies like you that cause all the problems out here. Your so called safety "paranoia" is what causes 90% of the accidents out here..Just ask Swift or Stevens insurance companies. If you cant run with the big dogs stay on the porch, and keep away from me and my fellow brothers..