User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Teamsters

When I talked to the program director at SAGE he didn't seem to be too fond of Teamsters. I think we were talking about Yellow Freight.

What are your opinions about union work :?: What are some of the pros and cons :?:
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Board Icon

Hey, maybe this will help. I asked the same thing, myself.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ighlight=union

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks JR. Good info.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Board Icon

Anytime.

Yeah, there is good info on that thread. Learned a lot about the mob, uh, I mean, Union. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Board Member

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-16-2007, 12:08 AM

Unions as with most things have their up's and down's. I have been a Teamster for 12 years and I can tell you, they certainly have their up's and down's. In my time involved with the Teamsters I can see that it could be a crooked orginization and I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm a due paying, Teamster supporting driver -I have just got wind of a few things that made me a tad....uneasy, I won't go into detail. However, I will say we, the employees did hear of a possible "under the table" deal with the company. Whether this was true or not, it really hasn't made a difference, it's just the potential for something outrageous exists, and when you pay someone for their services, you, well, I for sure like to get what I am paying for. Anyways....

I have witnessed the Teamsters going to bat for some of our employees who were and weren't deserving of termination. Unfortunately, some of these guys really needed to be let-go, and finally two of them were. Who am I to make that claim? Well, I was a co-worker of these two. Unsafe practices, or as the company referred to it "gross negligence" can, and will affect not only those who do it, but those around them aswell -scary business.

As far as I can tell, where I work, and with the reps we have, it protects your job, helps you have a bargaining strength within the company, in turn helping employees gain reasonable, sometimes above reasonable benefits. There are several wonderful benefits when you are with a union, but as I said there are some things you won't like. On the other hand though, it's really your call. The way our's worked was simple, and I'm sure this is the way most of them work. We went through a negotiating process, when the company and the bargaining unit agreed to draw up a contract, all the employees were called to a meeting. The contract was presented by the union rep, and we looked over it, had things explained to us, etc, etc. The first contract was a rocky one. We were new at this, and really had no idea what we wanted -we just knew that the competitor company, down the road has axed all their drivers, heavy equipment operators, and replaced them with outside contractors. The hell of it was, some of these guys that worked for this particular mining outfit had in 30 plus years -they were simply sent home, thus allowing men who had two years or less to continue to work in the processing plant. I don't think this is fair practice. I mean sure you can't very well tell a company what to do, but you can certainly set some boundaries for them. That said, what the competitor company pulled scared the hell out of us, and so we joined together, grew a set, and oranized.

We have gained alot of a great things, as I mentioned, but once a contact is set, it's in stone and cannot be manipulated for any reason. You cannot make special deals with the company, and even if a particular clause within the contract conflicts you for a particular situation, tough! You simply have to deal with it.

I hope this helps some. I have pretty much just blabbed aimlessly here, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 217. God bless 'em America needs 'em!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Where you been rollover been awhile since the last time you posted. Hows the dump truck life doin????

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-16-2007, 12:13 AM

Been busy as a one legged cat in a :dung: covering contest. Haha. Oh, you know driving dumpers, man, what can I say -gotta love it. However, lately I have been spending alot of quality time on a damn D-6 Cat dozer. Bleh!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Board Regular

Well the union, TEAMSTERS LOCAL 20, Toledo OH, left me out to dry when indefinitely suspended!!! Then they wouldn't even offer help to obtain other employment!!! Story below....

One day I was on my local route delivering Coca-Cola as always. I recieved a cell call from 2 of my older brothers who both live roughly 100 miles away, and whom I haven't seen in over two years due to various family problems. Anyways, they said they would stop to see me for a second so I told them where I was and they met up with me. When they arrived I continued to work while I talked due to having time stops and so forth. So I loaded all my handcarts with product and placed them on my liftgate, then lowered it. I grabbed a cart, tilted it back and pushed it in and began speaking with the clerk of the gas station. This is when each brother took it upon themselves to each push a cart in too! I didn't think anything of it and completed the delivery as always.

Then roughly 11 days later I went into work and was called into the plant mgr's office with the distribution supervisor, and my union stewart. They questioned me on the event of that evening, and I was open and honest, not denying it took place. Then, at the end of the meeting they said I was "indefinitely suspended" for employee misconduct and lying during an investigation!!! I was appaled to say the least. So I immediately filed a greivance and went home to sit without pay until things were sorted out.

So roughly 2 1/2 weeks later I was given a meeting with the union rep and official, Coke mgrs., and Coke human resources. In this meeting Coke claimed my lack of knowledge or lack of memory to certain things was lying during an investigation. I was being COMPLETELY honest about everything. Then they said I shouldn't have let non-employees use comapny equiptment, and that I jepordized (sp?) the integrity and security between Coca Cola and the gas station. Now I admit, I should have stopped them, but at the time I tried to explain my level or excitement and the fact that I just didn't think about it from their point of view. I've been on this route for 5 1/2 years and not for 1 second did violating a company policy, or anything of the sort cross my mind. Now during this entire meeting, which lasted roughly roughly 45 minutes, not once did the union step in and speak a word!!! I honestly felt as if I was hung out to dry! The union denied to arrbitrate the termination should I get fired so yeah.... I was in a real pickel!!! They didn't help me at all and I have since resigned my position.

So no, TO HELL with TEAMSTERS... or any damn union for that matter!!! All they REALLY do is collect dues from hard working people and use them to profit their politics and fat cat lifestyle!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't think that I could be involved in a union. They are just too political. They also seem to pit labor against management when they should be working together for the benefit of everyone. In a union environment I have seen too many slackers that would not have a job were it not for the union. Unions force companies to hire more people than they can afford or need and put them in the position of agreeing to unreasonable pay and benefits which they cannot afford. It seems to me as though they have helped lose more jobs than save, while driving many companies into bankruptcy or to another country. There doesn't seem to be a level of productivity they must achieve in order to receive their high wages. It doesn't make sense. I believe we all need to be rewarded or paid based upon our own efforts. That doesn't happen with unions. Just go to any major steel plant where there is a union. You see more people standing around than working. We should be compensated for our efforts, but those who don't produce should not receive the same wages. And the company should be able to decide whom they want to work for them without having to consult with a union representative. That is what has crippled the U.S. auto industry and all but killed the U.S. steel industry.