User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default well it's official i'm a tanker yanker.

Finally got out on my own after 4 weeks of training and guess what news I get. Roadway called and asked if I was ready to come back to work. After going through all the training and the money Advantage put into my training I didn't think it was right to bail on them so I told Roadway I can't come back. Even if I would go back I would probably just get layed off in 2 months again so I decided to stay with Advantage and i'm happy to be a tanker yanker.

Probably a bad decision but I felt it was the right thing to do.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Congratulations on that! arty:
Old 08-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Congratulations.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Board Regular

Good on you, mate !! You mentioned that you're with Advantage....meaning Kenan Advantage ? Where are you based ? Do you work local or OTR ? May I ask what the pay is like ?

Congrats, once again.

PS
For what it's worth, your decision was quite right. If we expect our employers to treat us with respect and integrity, we must remember that it's a 2-way street.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist
Good on you, mate !! You mentioned that you're with Advantage....meaning Kenan Advantage ? Where are you based ? Do you work local or OTR ? May I ask what the pay is like ?

Congrats, once again.

PS
For what it's worth, your decision was quite right. If we expect our employers to treat us with respect and integrity, we must remember that it's a 2-way street.
Yeah, it's Kenan Advantage. I work out of the Marietta, Ohio terminal which is small (9 drivers) and it's all local work. We get paid per mile and load/unload (most terminals are hourly). I guess they pay us that way because were not really close to any big city's so your running back roads and delivering to the smaller stations. Your also turning a lot of miles because the deliveries are so spread out and if they paid hourly you could soak up 8 hours on a 150 mile run.

On average you gross $750.00 per week (you can pick up extra loads hauling ethanol so you can make more if you want), I do know a guy that drives for Advantage out of Columbus, Ohio and he makes a lot more than I do, which I think it's like that in any bigger city for any company.

I like the job, the only management you deal with is the dispatchers when you call in and tell them your done for the day. They fax all the loads to you when you get to work so you know exactly what your doing for the day. Nice to know whats going on and what your going to do next.

When I first started I thought no way am I going to like hauling 8,800 gallons of gas but after a while you forget about it and not much different than hauling water. I just keep it slow on the curves and even slower making turns and maneuvering around in the lots loaded. Our Safety guy was going over the numbers with us in my Safety training class (have to go through it before you get out on your own) but most of Advantages rollovers happen making simple turns in and out of stations and on the city streets (go figure?).
Old 08-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member

ben... Congratulations!!

I can't help but wonder if in the long run this will pan out better overall, and as long as people need gas...you have a job. Since you can do supplemental runs pulling the ethanol...thats gravy. Sorry to here about Roadway, but layoffs are a bummer...dealt with that years ago when I worked union construction. Good money, but no work = no money.

The reason rollovers occur on city streets and at stores is because drivers often make turns too quick, or try to turn on a sloped surface that tips the tank past 18 degrees of lean....not good. Sometimes they occur when a foolish motorist or other truck driver causes them to try and take "evasive" action....too abrupt of a turn and braking can bring on the rollover. Slow and easy is better.

Best of luck in you new job!!!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.