User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Training school

Ok, I have a few questions if any of you can help. I am looking at Allstate career school in Pittsburgh PA. They offer a program that is about 400 hours of in class and driving. I think its like 160 class and 200 or 240 driving. It costs about 8500. They offer full financial aid through government grants and loans. They do not offer in house financing as they are accredited. I was able to walk through the school, talk with them and look at the companies that hire out of there. I saw anyone from Prime, to Schneider to Swift and everyone in between. They have a ton of rigs, and a huge yard, along with simulators. Does this sound like a lot for school? I think its a lot, but there is no community college in western PA that offers training. The alternative to this school is TDI and its 6k for 3 weeks. Any thoughts if you went there, or advice from experienced drivers as on how to proceed? Am I better off just going to a company sponsored training program and forgetting a local school?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Training school

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAC2007
Ok, I have a few questions if any of you can help. I am looking at Allstate career school in Pittsburgh PA. They offer a program that is about 400 hours of in class and driving. I think its like 160 class and 200 or 240 driving. It costs about 8500.
that dollar amount sounds kinda high
Quote:
They offer full financial aid through government grants and loans. They do not offer in house financing as they are accredited.
is the school PTDI certified?? some companies only hire from certified schools
Quote:
I was able to walk through the school, talk with them and look at the companies that hire out of there. I saw anyone from Prime, to Schneider to Swift and everyone in between.
its nice for them to offer placement but it is better for you to talk many more companies than those who are already there.
Quote:
They have a ton of rigs, and a huge yard, along with simulators. Does this sound like a lot for school? I think its a lot, but there is no community college in western PA that offers training.
Sounds like an awesome set up. lots of equipment means there should be no waiting to get driving practice. simulators are great, i have never used one, but they can give you multiple situations and for you to handle them
Quote:
The alternative to this school is TDI and its 6k for 3 weeks. Any thoughts if you went there, or advice from experienced drivers as on how to proceed?
have you toured TDI yet? what are some of their graduates say about each of the schools?? I think the first one is great although the price is kinda high.
Quote:
Am I better off just going to a company sponsored training program and forgetting a local school?
NO, if you attend an outside school you may get reimbursed for your school and you will not be tied to that company on a contract.

bol
Old 07-29-2007, 03:34 AM
Rookie
Default Accreditations

Here is what they list-

Accredited by The Accrediting Commission for Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT).

Approved by the Departments of Education in Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware.

Approved by The Federal Department of Education to participate in Title IV Funding Programs.

The Maryland and Lester campuses offer courses certified by The Professional Truck Drivers Institute (PTDI).

Licensed by Pennsylvania and Maryland as a CDL Third Party Test Site, and a Vehicle Inspections site at All-State Career's Lester campus.

Approved Vendors of The National Safety Council Defensive Driving Programs.

Members of the Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Jersey Motor Truck Associations, the Commercial Vehicle Training Association (CVTA), New Jersey State League of Municipalities, the Suburban Contractor's Association of Pennsylvania and the Pennsylvania Landscape and Nursery Association.

Approved by the Federal Department of Veteran Affairs.

Approved vendor for the Workforce Investment Act.

Not sure if much of that applies. I would NOT be going to the Maryland or Lester campus. I have not toured TDI, but a recent graduate said their equipment was bad. I think the price is high also, but seem to be limited due to my location.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Board Regular

Have you checked out Sage driving school, and New Castle School of trades ? They're both supposed to be pretty good, especially the former. 8500 bucks sounds mighty steep.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 AM
Senior Board Member

$8500!? Anyone who pays that is a sucker. There are much better schools that have PTDI at a quarter of the cost you're getting quoted.

Here's something to think about. $8500 is about 25% of what you'll make your first year. Are you willing to give away 25% to go to a TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL?

Explore your options with caution.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Go to PTDI's website and start looking at some other schools. I saw a couple that were over HALF of the amount All State was quoting you.

http://www.ptdi.org/schools/schoolsl...x#pennsylvania

Old 07-29-2007, 05:00 AM
Rookie
Default Training

I agree its huge. But all of the PTDI schools are out east. Am I better off to go through a program with Schneider, or something along those lines?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAC2007
I agree its huge. But all of the PTDI schools are out east. Am I better off to go through a program with Schneider, or something along those lines?
The only thing with Schneider is you will sign a contract for 18 months. If you leave early you owe the full amount. It used to be $3500, however I heard it may have gone up to $4500. All in all they do offer a great training program. They're not a bad place to work for while you get experience.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I gotta agree 8500 sounds very high, although the school seems well equipt. How big are the classes? That may have an issue with availablity of the equipment.

Quote:
They offer full financial aid through government grants and loans
Quote:
if you attend an outside school you may get reimbursed for your school and you will not be tied to that company on a contract
Training companies will reimburse for approved CDL schools, but they will reimburse over a period of time, adding the payments to you payroll. If you quite that company before reimbursment is complete, you will not be reimbursed for any outstanding balance.
In a way you will be commited to that company if you want a full reimbursement.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:49 PM