User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

$8500 is RIDICULOUSLY HIGH. Even with simulators and all that extra stuff that sounds cool, it's just not worth it.

In my opinion, you could go to Harvard University's School of Freight Relocation Engineering Technology and still only be marginally better off at the beginning of your career than the guy who went through a two-week program at Cheapass State. The real learning comes when you go out with your trainer in the real world. More school up front might mean less time with a trainer, but I don't think the numbers are going to work out in your favor. Whether you go to a big name school or not, and no matter how long you're with your trainer, you're still not going to be making any real money driving until you've got a solid measure of experience under your belt. The first year is typically pretty lean for most new drivers, and that makes this $8500 as a proportion of your income that year look really bad.

I went to a high dollar ripoff school that was still less expensive than that one. What I didn't realize until too late was that they charged such ridiculous tuition because their entire business model was based on getting unemployed/unemployable people shoved through their program by way of the JTPA program. People who got laid off from factory jobs in scores of dozens, for example, could use this place as one of their retraining options while they were drawing a pittance on unemployment. There were lots of criminal types in there too. If the guy is too violent for McDonald's, let's put him behind the wheel of a big truck. That'll work. :roll: I was probably the only dumbass that entire calendar year who actually paid for the tuition out of his own pocket.

Anyway, I wouldn't pay $8500 for CDL school. No way. If you don't want to get married to the Great Pumpkin for a year and a half, you might do well to consider enrolling in a program at some Cheapass State away from your home, and weigh the cost of living at the Crooked Roach Motel for a couple of weeks while you go to school, plus your tuition, against that $8500. These ultra-accelerated two-week programs aren't very good training, but I don't think any trucking school can really prepare you for the real world anyway. You need yourself a CDL, and a rookie company, and then you need to get to work. Everything else will fall into place from there.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAC2007
I agree its huge. But all of the PTDI schools are out east. Am I better off to go through a program with Schneider, or something along those lines?
The only thing with Schneider is you will sign a contract for 18 months. If you leave early you owe the full amount. It used to be $3500, however I heard it may have gone up to $4500. All in all they do offer a great training program. They're not a bad place to work for while you get experience.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Rookie
Default Schneider

So it would seem that from a financial stand point, going with Schneider looks to be the better bet. Or at least a company that offers training.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Rookie

From an industrial engineering learning curve point of view, a school which allows backing up in 7 different positions 500 times each, get cdl, and allows over 1000 OTR miles afterwards would allow someone to obtain expert driving status driving different vehicle types as well.

This would take approximately 8 weeks of 40 hours/week. Anything less is insufficient and anything longer is a company taking advantage of low driver pay standards.