User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question about the new Volvos sleeper...

In tech school the truck we drove was a Volvo and they said it had the biggest sleeper of any truck, but I've noticed the new Volvos don't look like they're as big as the older ones? Did they start making them smaller? (Hopefully not ops: )
Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Question about the new Volvos sleeper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
In tech school the truck we drove was a Volvo and they said it had the biggest sleeper of any truck, but I've noticed the new Volvos don't look like they're as big as the older ones? Did they start making them smaller? (Hopefully not ops: )
All manufacturers make "multiple sizes of sleepers". For instance, chemical tanker yankers tend to have smaller sleepers....because we don't stay out on the road as long as most freight haulers. Some companies buy the biggest sleepers, some buy the in-betweens, and others buy the smaller ones.

The "size of the sleeper" or make of the truck is not a proper measure by which to grade a company or use as a determining factor to apply to a company.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
All manufacturers make "multiple sizes of sleepers". For instance, chemical tanker yankers tend to have smaller sleepers....because we don't stay out on the road as long as most freight haulers. Some companies buy the biggest sleepers, some buy the in-betweens, and others buy the smaller ones.

The "size of the sleeper" or make of the truck is not a proper measure by which to grade a company or use as a determining factor to apply to a company.
I have to somewhat disagree on this one. If you're expected to live on the road, then, yes, a bigger, more comfortable sleeper, in my book, is very important. The company I'm with now runs a variety of trucks. When I started here I was in a mid-roof Volvo 670. The truck was very tight for storage space. About two months later I got my Volvo 780 and am as happy as a pig in fresh mud.

However, I could easily go back to that mid-roof truck for the simple reason that I'm home every other night or so, plus I spend the entire weekend at home.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Granted, the larger sleeper is a benefit when on the road for longer periods of time.... but at the same time....the size of the sleeper should not be a prime reason for deciding what company to drive for.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 07-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Board Member

As mentioned, every truck manufacturer puts different sized sleepers on their trucks. Volvo I believe goes from about 41 inches up to 77 inches. Other companies go from 36 inches up to 86 inches. This is front to back of the sleeper. In addition to this there are variable configurations for the roof height in many of these sizes.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Granted, the larger sleeper is a benefit when on the road for longer periods of time.... but at the same time....the size of the sleeper should not be a prime reason for deciding what company to drive for.
I definitely agree on this. It's not a prime reason for choosing a carrier, but it is an important issue. If it was the most important reason, I'd be searching for a company that runs only Volvo 880's :lol:
Old 07-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
I definitely agree on this. It's not a prime reason for choosing a carrier, but it is an important issue. If it was the most important reason, I'd be searching for a company that runs only Volvo 880's :lol:
Trust me Malakai....If I was ever inclined to go back to running box freight again....I too would want a much larger sleeper than I have now, if.... I knew I would be out on the road more than 7 to 10 days. The sleeper for me now is not that big of an issue. Pulling a chemical tanker generally gets you home every 7-10 days or even less. So a smaller sleeper is tolerable. Being out a month at a time, which I used to do...required a bigger sleeper...because it seemed I carried alot more junk :shock: But its true that the added space in a big sleeper cuts down on claustrophobia 8)

Old 07-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:
Trust me Malakai....If I was ever inclined to go back to running box freight again....I too would want a much larger sleeper than I have now, if.... I knew I would be out on the road more than 7 to 10 days. The sleeper for me now is not that big of an issue. Pulling a chemical tanker generally gets you home every 7-10 days or even less. So a smaller sleeper is tolerable. Being out a month at a time, which I used to do...required a bigger sleeper...because it seemed I carried alot more junk :shock: But its true that the added space in a big sleeper cuts down on claustrophobia 8)
Hey Sky, I just sent you a PM....would really be obliged if I could get a response from your end. Thanks very much.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

Volvo doesn't make the largest sleepers, but they are bigger than most. I believe the largest sleeper Volvo makes is a 78" which can be found in the 780. You can tell the size of the sleeper by the model number. For instance, the 610 has a 61" sleeper. The 660 a 66" and so on. Freightliner has a 84" sleeper and Kenworth has a 86" Studio. You don't see many of either on the road. There are larger sleepers, but they are not standard from the factory. While Volvo doesn't make the largest sleeper, they probably make the most comfortable riding truck. Their larger sleepers are very functional, but are rather heavy.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Pulling a chemical tanker generally gets you home every 7-10 days or even less. So a smaller sleeper is tolerable.
I used to have a regional OTR job where I was in the bunk between two and four nights a week. I did most of that in a cabinover, then I finally got a luxurious stand-up conventional. The conventional was an improvement, but it had a 54" sleeper. With the curtains drawn, it was almost impossible to stand up. It had a lot more headroom than the cabover had had, but all in all it wasn't really substantially more luxurious or comfortable. I would have preferred a 72" sleeper, I think. It would have made a big difference. Especially trying to change pants without breaking the seam and tumbling out of the curtains butt nekkit.