User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 04:02 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
I know many reasons for wanting to leave the computer industry. Before I got into driving, I was also a computer tech.--more on the hardware side. And let me tell you this. You don't have to know much to repair computers. The basic 10-14 parts make up your system, most are now integrated into the motherboard. Any single part go wrong, just replace it. No more board level repair...And it hasn't been there for a while. And as you go into Best Buy, Frys Electronics, or any computer shop, the tech they have make around 8-10 per hour. They don't make the 35-75 per hour that everybody thinks they do. And the only time I made that was on house calls. I have had my own shop from May 1996 to Nov. 1999, and closed it down due to the flood of parts about to be released from Taiwan. I was also burnt out, tired of stupid customers deleting files, and then wondering why their computer wasn't working. A lot of friends I had in the D/FW area have also closed their doors, and went on to different things.

Being a computer tech is not the glamorous job ITT makes it out to be. I'd rather drive a truck, and act like that stupid truck driver you make us out to be. :wink:

BTW....my current boss wanted me to repair his system...up untill I told him $75 per hour, min. of 2 hours. He actually thought I would do it for free.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There are alot of computer-related jobs that pay big $$$$$. What you are describing is computer tech-repair. My brother works as a database administrator for Progressive Insurance. I'm not really up on computers, but I do know that he works with systems called Oracle and Sybase.

He makes over $115,000/year. :shock: :shock:
Old 07-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug

There are alot of computer-related jobs that pay big $$$$$. What you are describing is computer tech-repair. My brother works as a database administrator for Progressive Insurance. I'm not really up on computers, but I do know that he works with systems called Oracle and Sybase.

He makes over $115,000/year. :shock: :shock:
I know of those programs, along with others that i would like to know better. However, i just turn 40, and no longer have the patience i once had. I suppose if I have the time, I would start with Sun Solaris, a Unix base program for Sun Systems. Linux, along with Free BSD, are also Unix base programs, and good for every programmer to know. It's good to start there, then work up to Oracle.....and several different programs as well.

However, I was/am pretty good as a hardware repair tech. But in this area, there are many, and those jobs don't pay as well. That's why I went into trucking. Also, I began not liking the customers. And that's always a sign to move on. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 07-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't think money should be your primary consideration when looking to stay or leave a career. You need to enjoy what you do for a living. Money is certainly a factor, but should not be your only consideration.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Lots of truckers are ex-this and ex-that. I don't think it makes much difference what you used to do.

You may like driving. I do. But it's real, real, hard work. And it's real, real, hard to learn.

In fact, most people leave after a few months - before they have a chance to learn.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Since were on the DUI subject i got in a minor car accident with someone around 2months i got my drivers license it was so small i didnt even get a raise in my insurance,light was broke that was it.i think the total cost was under $300.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngster
I've been doing this for 11 yrs., mostly LTL. Stay out of it unless you want to wake up one day hating it, realizing your too old to do anything else; and if you have go through another truck company interview, where some suit-and-tie asshole blows more smoke up your ass-you're probably gonna f'n snap.
I can definitely relate to that sentiment. I have strong feelings of there being no good future ahead in this business. Every year, I make less money than I used to, relative to how much everything costs. You hit the top of the payscale early in a career, and the only way to get more money is to do more or more nasty work. There is no getting paid more for time served like there is in the real world. Not really. My wife started at Wally World at $5 an hour, and now makes $14, just a few cents an hour a year at a time. It adds up, but not in trucking. No matter who you drive for where, the pay just doesn't keep growing like that, staying in the same job, with the same company.

OTOH, once you've trucked at all, it seems you're largely screwed trying to find a job in the real world. I'm not too old at 35, but when I was out hunting for anything but another driving job, I got a lot of "you used to be a TRUCK DRIVER?" None of these people ever called for a second interview.

I have mixed feelings about my whole situation, which is painfully obvious to anyone who reads my tortured ramblings, but if one thing is certain, it is that I am really unhappy about not having any other viable choice. I have to keep trucking, or go completely bankrupt. The thing is, the only thing keeping me from going bankrupt as a truck driver is my wife's annual raise, which keeps up with the bills enough that my making smaller and smaller contributions every year (relative to inflation) doesn't upset the apple cart.

I don't know how you hands out here whose wives stay home manage to avoid going broke over a career. I really don't. Especially if you look at what a house cost in 1997 and what one costs today, for example.
You might could think of becoming a city worker. They would like the fact that you've got truckdriving experience so that you could drive a dumptruck for them. And I don't know about other cities, but the one I work at (Tifton) you hardly ever work over 40 hours a week.

Only one thing, while the benefits are good, the pay isn't the best in the world, but you'd have time to spend with the family.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
I know many reasons for wanting to leave the computer industry. Before I got into driving, I was also a computer tech.--more on the hardware side.
I thought you were more into the technical, software side of the pc biz...my bad. One of those 20-somethings who grew up with computers, and writing code was as regular as breathing and changing your underwear. But yeah, I agree...making a living out of the hardware has got to be really hard these days.

I didn't mean to sound so down on the job, just some days are a f'n clusterf@ck of epic proportions. Definitely give the driving a chance, and you'll hopefully learn to like it; but just keep your other stuff going so that you don't start to feel stuck in it. When the BOSS knows that this is all you got or can do, that's when the aholes really start piling on the sh@t.